Luke5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Hello,

I was backing my car into the driveway and stalled and saw white smoke out of the exhaust for 2-3 seconds. I'm not sure what it was and wanted to get some input on whether or not I should be concerned. Yes, I stalled so don't go off on me for stalling (I could care less), it's my first manual car obviously still learning to drive and its been a great 2 months no issues at all except the smoke I saw today. This is only the 9th or 10th time I've stalled over the 2 months so not too bad, but out of the other 8 or 9 times I stalled, this is the first time I've seen the white smoke.
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Without more details there is nothing to be said. How long was the car running? What was the engine temp? How many miles are on the car? What was the outdoor air temp? Are there any mods on the car? Is it stalling because you are trying to learn to drive a stick shift for the first time or because there are other problems? Have you taken it to the dealer? What does the exhaust smell like? Does it smell like coolant? Rich Gas? Oil? Or no smell at all? IS there residue in the exhaust and does it have an odor? Does it feel oily or have a dry texture? Get the drift?

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Under certain temperature and or weather conditions white smoke out the tailpipe is normal

OP
OP

Luke5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Without more details there is nothing to be said. How long was the car running? What was the engine temp? How many miles are on the car? What was the outdoor air temp? Are there any mods on the car? Is it stalling because you are trying to learn to drive a stick shift for the first time or because there are other problems? Have you taken it to the dealer? What does the exhaust smell like? Does it smell like coolant? Rich Gas? Oil? Or no smell at all? IS there residue in the exhaust and does it have an odor? Does it feel oily or have a dry texture? Get the drift?
Car is completely stock. Was driving the car all day about 4 times for about 10-15 minutes each. 14K miles, outdoor temp mid 90s. And it was stalling because I'm still learning not due to any other issues. It was a really burnt smell like a burnt clutch smell (wasn't on the clutch very long maybe 3 seconds or less, then stalled) before the white smoke came out. The burnt clutch could be it but not sure if that would cause the smoke out of the exhaust...

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Very likely it is clutch smoke you are seeing. The smell of the clutch complimented with the visual short presence of smoke is the indication IMHO. I near burned up a clutch learning to drive a 3 speed column shift chevy pickup helping in the fields when I was 14. I was fortunate to be able to learn to drive a manual there. You'll get the hang of it.

If it were engine related you would see this at decel and/or throttle up more regularly. It would also likely smell of engine coolant. If you wish to be sure, take it in and have them run a check on it. That's what warranty is all about,

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Yea that's most likely the clutch smoke you're smelling and seeing. When you actually start seeing the smoke, it's burning up pretty severely. Don't be surprised if you have to replace the clutch in the near future.
Sponsored