Whippled 350R Knock issues

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
2017 Gt350R w/ Gen 3 Whipple kit. 3.75 pulley.

Take a look at the logs and let me know what you think. I was using Costco 93 w/ Octanium for the first log and C16 Racegas for the second log. The first shows positive Knock up to 4.26 while racegas doesn't show any positive knock at all.

93/ Octanium
https://datazap.me/u/irmoviper/octanium-w93?log=0&data=1

Racegas
https://datazap.me/u/irmoviper/race-gas-0?log=0&data=1

I have looked over the entire car and banged around with a rubber mallet to see if i hear anything rattling around and I don't.

Other than having my knock sensors desensitized (which i'm getting a tune for) any other suggestions?
Sponsored

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
The knock went away with a higher octane fuel. You were getting positive KR from actual knock on the lower quality fuel.

I wouldn't desensitize your knock sensors. Ask your tuner to tune it so theres no knock present on the regular pump gas.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
What calibration are you running? Likely fuel octane, but burst knock can do that if you slam the throttler hard instead of rolling into it, not sure it was that because I looked at pedal and seemed you slammed throttle on both runs and second had no knock.

OP
OP

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
What calibration are you running? Likely fuel octane, but burst knock can do that if you slam the throttler hard instead of rolling into it, not sure it was that because I looked at pedal and seemed you slammed throttle on both runs and second had no knock.
Using Lund Racing tune - I am going to try different gas stations in the area with Octanium and see if I still am getting knock. I may just bite the bullet and switch to an e85 tune if I am still seeing knock.

OP
OP

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
The knock went away with a higher octane fuel. You were getting positive KR from actual knock on the lower quality fuel.

I wouldn't desensitize your knock sensors. Ask your tuner to tune it so theres no knock present on the regular pump gas.
This is what baffles me, I am using Top Tier Gasoline with an octane booster, should be right at 100 octane and was still getting knock. Is the gas here in Dallas/Fort Worth really that crappy?

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Using Lund Racing tune - I am going to try different gas stations in the area with Octanium and see if I still am getting knock. I may just bite the bullet and switch to an e85 tune if I am still seeing knock.
Looked at your logs again and not sure what kind of timing Lund puts into GT350 forced setups but you were seeing 17.5 PID saftot (spark) with some positive knock, but in the first log with knock and 93/Octane booster your knock waned off at upper rpms, but timing didn't come back, you did drop out of throttle a bit though.

OP
OP

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Looked at your logs again and not sure what kind of timing Lund puts into GT350 forced setups but you were seeing 17.5 PID saftot (spark) with some positive knock, but in the first log with knock and 93/Octane booster your knock waned off at upper rpms, but timing didn't come back, you did drop out of throttle a bit though.
Yea I am going to redo the datalog with new fuel and booster to see if it's similar in performance. Will update once I get the logs back.

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
For what it’s worth, I had a lot of issues with knock on tip in and pump gas on a gen 5 whipple and a 19 on whipple tune. Switched to Lund, they had me go a step colder on the plugs, go up a pulley (lower boost), and that reduced it to basically none on pump gas but the knock sensors and pcm would only reach about 15* timing at WOT. So, to be safe and keep the sensors happy I was leaving a lot on the table (multiple degrees of timing and a approx a pound of boost).

I switched to e85 and have zero knock now. Car is a whole new beast.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
You are right on in posting up about this. It is very frustrating and very tempting to disregard knock. GT350R + FI is a freakn sweet ride!
Knock sensors may be saving your motor.

If you disregard knock, its just a matter of time as that det is hammering your rotating assembly.

Costco is NOT top tier 93. Its wholesale fuel.
You can send actual samples to Polaris labs.

Shell has the best fuel lab in Texas hands down. Their oil and fuel lab in Houston is world leading. There is a gentleman that works in the oil lab that consults on $$$$ vintage maintenance and museum pieces. Their staff manages fuel testing for several race series including F1.

Shell or Chevron in Texas. Used to live in Coppell. In Austin now. Tracked a Whippled 2015 and long hot sessions on track REALLY made the different fuel qualities stand out.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Sunoco 93 plus half a bottle of lucas octane booster per tankful with 17 degrees timing no knock with a d1x procharger...something else is going on with your set up...

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Check the plugs for carbon. If so, get a meth kit and run it a while to clean out the carbon?
Might be safest/cheapest if you have valve carbon that needs addressing.
-and avoid costco fuel, or stripes or diamond