Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
Since my Whipple install I have noticed quite a few "dead spots" when accelerating. It only seems to happen at mid-range throttle usage, and typically only occurs in gears 3 and up. It feels as though it starts making boosts and then stops / levels off until I change the throttle position. When the engine is under load (going up a hill) it is much more noticeable. This occurs at like mid-range throttle. I'd say anywhere between 30% to 50% throttle. Light throttle is perfect and when I get on it hard it's perfect. Its not a crazy major hesitation or dead spot, but it's enough that I can 100% feel it every single time. Especially going up hill. This is my 1st SC vehicle, as I have been used to turbo 4 cyl cars. But even without knowledge and experience with these, I cant imagine this is exactly "right" or what most would consider normal. I haven't been able to find anything about this in searching the forum, and I know the Whipple tune is pretty solid. But I thought I would ask here 1st before I progress forward to next steps. Thanks guys.
Sponsored

DiEzel

GTFO OG - The Professor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Premium PP
Since my Whipple install I have noticed quite a few "dead spots" when accelerating. It only seems to happen at mid-range throttle usage, and typically only occurs in gears 3 and up. It feels as though it starts making boosts and then stops / levels off until I change the throttle position. When the engine is under load (going up a hill) it is much more noticeable. This occurs at like mid-range throttle. I'd say anywhere between 30% to 50% throttle. Light throttle is perfect and when I get on it hard it's perfect. Its not a crazy major hesitation or dead spot, but it's enough that I can 100% feel it every single time. Especially going up hill. This is my 1st SC vehicle, as I have been used to turbo 4 cyl cars. But even without knowledge and experience with these, I cant imagine this is exactly "right" or what most would consider normal. I haven't been able to find anything about this in searching the forum, and I know the Whipple tune is pretty solid. But I thought I would ask here 1st before I progress forward to next steps. Thanks guys.
I've felt similar with mine, I'm tuned by Lund.

Almost sounds like the car starts fueling (Making more exhaust noise) and then kind of hesitates/clears up ?? It's hard to describe - But I think I'm experiencing the same.

sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
I have the same setup and I haven't noticed anything like this.. Have you tried logging during the event?

OP
OP
Superman15

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
I've felt similar with mine, I'm tuned by Lund.

Almost sounds like the car starts fueling (Making more exhaust noise) and then kind of hesitates/clears up ?? It's hard to describe - But I think I'm experiencing the same.
Yes, similar to that. Under load it has a similar hesitation feeling to a MAF that is going bad. But not quite to that level. Some days it is worse than others. Sometimes when I am in 3rd gear, going up a decent hill, it will give me pretty solid hesitation. Like I said, similar "feeling" to a bad MAF. I'd like to just take it back to the shop were it was installed... but dude really wants nothing to do with it. He has 100% blamed the Whipple tune since day 1. But he is also trying to force a Lund tune down my throat. With all the members on here having great success with the Whipple tune, I highlyyyy doubt that is my issue. Like I said tho, very light throttle and its spot on. WOT and its a spot on beast. But anything in between is completely 50/50 on driveability. Sound similar to your feeling?

OP
OP
Superman15

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
I have the same setup and I haven't noticed anything like this.. Have you tried logging during the event?
I dont have a logging tool :( Just the Whipple flare tool.

Sponsored

DiEzel

GTFO OG - The Professor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Premium PP
Yes, similar to that. Under load it has a similar hesitation feeling to a MAF that is going bad. But not quite to that level. Some days it is worse than others. Sometimes when I am in 3rd gear, going up a decent hill, it will give me pretty solid hesitation. Like I said, similar "feeling" to a bad MAF. I'd like to just take it back to the shop were it was installed... but dude really wants nothing to do with it. He has 100% blamed the Whipple tune since day 1. But he is also trying to force a Lund tune down my throat. With all the members on here having great success with the Whipple tune, I highlyyyy doubt that is my issue. Like I said tho, very light throttle and its spot on. WOT and its a spot on beast. But anything in between is completely 50/50 on driveability. Sound similar to your feeling?
Kind of.. I can back out of the throttle, and get back into it, and it acts like nothing was ever "wrong".. It's a really odd sensation...

But yes, Light throttle, WOT - ALL GOOD.. Inbetween has possibility to be awkward.

And No, I haven't successfully logged this.. Hard to predict @ times.

OP
OP
Superman15

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Mine is actually pretty predictable. It does it every time the engine is under load. It's just not always the same level. Sometimes u barely notice it, other times it's extremely noticeable. But there is never a day where it is not present at all. It is always there to some degree. I have noticed that 3rd and 4th gear do it the worst by far. Previously I had my flight controls set. And I thought maybe that was somehow related. But I have set everything back to default settings, and also done a crank re-learn for the hell of it. When I changed these settings it actually seemed to help. But it was most likely just my imagination, because I definitely feel it every day and every drive.

OP
OP
Superman15

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Bring your ass down to Pittsburgh, PA. and make mine run like yours. You're only about 7 hours away.. come onnnn man. HA! :)

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Mine does the same thing, but only once in a while. I don't have a SC, engine is all stock. Wondered what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Superman15

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Mine does the same thing, but only once in a while. I don't have a SC, engine is all stock. Wondered what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Before the SC install mine was always a little rough when your pulling out from a stop in either 1st or 2nd gear. Just a little choppy. I still have that, but I consider that normal. I got the same feeling out of all the stock GT's I have driven. I have learned how to manipulate the throttle and clutch enough now, that I can work around that choppy-ness, and virtually eliminate it. My new issue I cannot "control". Other than spend my entire driving experience barely on the throttle or always at WOT. lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
Superman15

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
I don't know if plugs that were not properly gapped could cause this problem. That was one of my idea's. But I thought if a plug was causing issues, it would do it across the entire power band and throttle level..?? And not do it so sporadically.

sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Sounds like a mechanical issue. Do you know anyone with a X4 you can use to log? Or just bring me the car ill figure it out for you

OP
OP
Superman15

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like a mechanical issue. Do you know anyone with a X4 you can use to log? Or just bring me the car ill figure it out for you
I do not know anyone with an X4. I may have to go to a shop that has one, and either let them log it, or allow me to use the X4. I am sure the latter of the 2 is very unlikely. And I don't want to take it back to the speed shop, cause he's not even going to look for a problem. He just won't look at it. In his eyes, the Whipple tune is the problem, period. And to me, that's just crap. He said the last Whipple install he did, that car ran the exact same way with exact same issues. But supposedly after he did a Lund tune on that other car it ran perfect. But Lund tuning is NOT cheap. Not to mention I went with the Whipple warranty, and did the big TB and 72# injectors, so that I could use the Whipple tune and flight control.

Sonic, I reallyyyyy wish you lived closer. I'd be there in a heart beat.

sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Ok brother. My zip is 12550 if you change your mind. I can honor Whipples warranty as well.

I do not know anyone with an X4. I may have to go to a shop that has one, and either let them log it, or allow me to use the X4. I am sure the latter of the 2 is very unlikely. And I don't want to take it back to the speed shop, cause he's not even going to look for a problem. He just won't look at it. In his eyes, the Whipple tune is the problem, period. And to me, that's just crap. He said the last Whipple install he did, that car ran the exact same way with exact same issues. But supposedly after he did a Lund tune on that other car it ran perfect. But Lund tuning is NOT cheap. Not to mention I went with the Whipple warranty, and did the big TB and 72# injectors, so that I could use the Whipple tune and flight control.

Sonic, I reallyyyyy wish you lived closer. I'd be there in a heart beat.

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Check for error codes and see if you have a " Random Misfire" error.
Sponsored