Sponsored

Whipple car runs bad - tune issues

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Didn’t read the whole thread, what issue are you guys having?

I just got my Whipple installed less than 2 weeks ago
They start time traveling when you hit 88mph. Problem is there is no way to control what time you land in.

5.O

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
surging, hesitation, and whacked out fuel trims.
I have bad surging as well at some points when part throttle and sometimes I'd get a flashing CEL after a run or two but no codes appears and it goes after restarting the car!

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
I have bad surging as well at some points when part throttle and sometimes I'd get a flashing CEL after a run or two but no codes appears and it goes after restarting the car!

Not the same issue. Flashing CEL is a misfire. Fix it before you break it.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Agree flashing cel needs to be fixed ASAP. Check the ceramic on the plugs for cracks and make sure they are gapped at .028 with a feeler gauge not one of those wheel plug gappers

Sponsored

5.O

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Changed them twice after gapping .28 and it still happens with no misfire codes.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Changed them twice after gapping .28 and it still happens with no misfire codes.

If it is flashing it is seeing misfires. Could be the scanner you are using not picking it up as a pending. Many, many things can cause a misfire, don't think because you can't see the code, you may not be doing damage.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
U said u did the install 2 weeks ago,did u do a crank relearn???

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
surging, hesitation, and whacked out fuel trims.
I don't have any of those issues... I imagine if an update comes out I probably shouldn't mess with it if it's working correctly.... right?

Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I don't have any of those issues... I imagine if an update comes out I probably shouldn't mess with it if it's working correctly.... right?
maybe not but they are making a lot of changes. One thing is injector cut. If you notice as soon as you let off the throttle your AFR goes to 20. they are cutting the injectors immediately right now and that will be harder on the car. they are adding a delay like the factory had on the injector cut.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
maybe not but they are making a lot of changes. One thing is injector cut. If you notice as soon as you let off the throttle your AFR goes to 20. they are cutting the injectors immediately right now and that will be harder on the car. they are adding a delay like the factory had on the injector cut.
I have noticed the AFR will go straight to 20 when I get off the throttle. It has always been like this and never thought anything of it.

I don't have any experience or knowledge in tuning, so I never knew this was an issue.

I hope when Whipple releases the newest tune revision, they provide a list off all the changes made and why.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I have noticed the AFR will go straight to 20 when I get off the throttle. It has always been like this and never thought anything of it.

I don't have any experience or knowledge in tuning, so I never knew this was an issue.

I hope when Whipple releases the newest tune revision, they provide a list off all the changes made and why.
What I have been told
It was some injector settings and the transition from fuel cut during full pedal decel to fueling again. Whenever you lift, even during a quick shift, the fuel cuts 100%, when you add pedal again, it turns injectors back on, this is a small window of transitioning correctly. The 72’s are big, ugly injectors and they have a lot of wall wetting, which means it has too much fuel during this spot, enough that it actually shows lean because it can’t combust all of it. We adjusted this to actually take fuel away during this transition.

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
yep.... definitely noticed it jumping to 20 when you left off the throttle
Sponsored