You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2023 F150 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Decided to play around today and cut up my stock airbox to use the air inlet snout with my Whipple enclosed box.

Disregard the duct tape I taped it back together just to show you guys what part I cut off

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458334614.974297.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458334669.431427.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458334678.715903.jpg

I trimmed the bottom front of the Whipple airbox to let the snout fit. I also trimmed the opening a smidge. Both these cuts will not be seen with cover back on.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458334719.834802.jpg

Now the snout brings fresh air into the opening of the Whipple airbox.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458334844.402262.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458334858.171886.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458334872.822518.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458334881.729873.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
sigintel

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Nice work!

Havent started cutting yet but drank lots of beer while staring at parts.

So I got stuck looking at the wash coming off IC where the stock duct pulls air.
I tested again and depending on how much horsing around and if wind is coming from behind stuck in traffic I can see 130-160F IAT1 as a worse case with CHT at 225.

I have obtained a spare bumper already for cutting.
Looking for spare airbox n duct.
Looks like getting away from IC wash is gonna be a big step.
Rad and AC core wash is also a problem.
The stock rad apron on top and hood are freakn horrible for getting the hot air out of the front of the engine bay.
Already looking for a spare hood to test a massive slot extractor from front of stock vents all the way across. Lol. Maybe add 3 squirrel cage blowers coming out of large slot.

Also looking at insulating the MAF sensor and intack tubes from the rad wash.
:eyebulge:Shot a 148F surface temp on MAF connector immediately after opening the hood. Intake tubes bathed in rad wash and air box sucking IC core.

Could this cause large high side error in MAF IAT1 temps?
If this does cause error it would show up as wide margin at low speed low rpm for IAT1 compensation. Tuner would have picked up on this and said low speed bay cooling is crap for FI (cause it is).

Maybe just get crazy n relocate IC to rear seat pass thru n drive w windows and trunk open. :crazy:

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff & Things
I think there is a lot of confusion over IAT1/IAT2 data with the S550's. This is not helped by the fact that different tuners, different kits, etc use different methods of collecting that data. Then add in that the S550 PCM's don't read IAT's very accurately for some reason. Then add in that some people run e85, which does suck heat out of the manifold and things get real confusing. And then factor in differences in driving situations and you're lost.

We've been running stand alone IAT sensors and doing IAT, heat exchanger, pump and intercooler testing for years now. It's probably fair to say more than everyone else combined.

The following numbers are going to depend on a ton of factors such as what kit is being run, what pump is being run, what heat exchanger is being run, how much the car is moving opposed to sitting (stop lights and so on), how fast the car is moving, how the person drives, etc. So that is why there is a pretty wide gap between high and low. With all of those variables this really is junk data too. But at least it's junk data based on a thousands of hours of testing on just about every combination imaginable.

-While doing normal surface street driving you will see IAT2's between 35 and 55deg over ambient. You may get spikes sitting at lights as high as 75deg over ambient.

-While cruising down the freeway at 75mph on the cruise control you will see IAT2's between 25 and 45deg over ambient.

-At the end of a 10-12sec WOT run you will see IAT2's between 45 and 100deg over ambient. Keep in mind there is a HUGE difference between a 4-6sec run and a 10-12sec run. They can't be compared even remotely. The IAT rise is not linear, it has a big ramp to it.

If you're seeing numbers that don't fall in this scale there is a good chance your data is corrupt or you're running e85. Or you're getting that data from someone else that is lying.

Something to note is that the IAT's do not track vs ambient in a linear way. It's incredibly complex to explain why, so I won't. Between about 65 and 85deg ambient the IAT's will scale pretty evenly. By that I mean you will for the most part see your standard XXdeg over ambient. Below 65 deg the difference between ambient and IAT gets bigger. You will never (well, aside from our kits) see for example an IAT 25deg over ambient at an ambient temp of 30deg. On the flip side your IAT over ambient at 100deg will actually be slightly smaller.

Now to plug our stuff.

We have been attacking this IAT thing for years. Frankly "normal" isn't nearly good enough and we wanted to solve it. And we have it pretty much licked. Do we want more? Absolutely, IAT's will never 100% bulletproof (never pulls timing/hurts performance). But we have made it as good as it will get until some sort of new technology is invented.

Here is what you can expect from our stuff.

-While doing normal surface street driving you will see IAT2's between 8 and 12deg over ambient. You may get spikes sitting at lights as high as 18deg over ambient.

-While cruising down the freeway at 75mph on the cruise control you will see IAT2's between 6 and 10deg over ambient.

-At the end of a 10-12sec WOT run you will see IAT2's between 25 and 30deg over ambient.

The Game

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Does the Whipple airbox have the hole in the front for the duct already? I have the Velossa inlet feeding into my JLT box and was hoping for a similar setup if I choose Whipple over ProCharger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2023 F150 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Does the Whipple airbox have the hole in the front for the duct already? I have the Velossa inlet feeding into my JLT box and was hoping for a similar setup if I choose Whipple over ProCharger.

It's 99% there I just had to open up a couple inches for it to fit.

Sponsored

The Game

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
It's 99% there I just had to open up a couple inches for it to fit.

Thank ya bud. God Bless Dremel lol.

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
With my Whipple my IAT's stay between 3-5 F above ambient cruising 75-80 and will climb as high as +30-35 above ambient in stop and go traffic but drop quickly after I start moving.

Department Of Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff & Things
With my Whipple my IAT's stay between 3-5 F above ambient cruising 75-80 and will climb as high as +30-35 above ambient in stop and go traffic but drop quickly after I start moving.
Your IAT2's don't. You're using the wrong or have corrupted data.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Seems to be so much confusion here about AIT 1 and AIT 2 even though it's been addressed.

AIT 1 is the stock MAF location pre blower, air speed inside the inlet tube and through the front end effect this temp. Not really that important with a PD/twin screw forced induction setup.

AIT 2 this with PD setups post blower and is the most important AIT, it will show the efficiency or lack of, of your compressor and intercooling system. The problem win AIT 2 is most tuning systems don't have an accurate way to display this temp. Lund, SCT and others have tried, but from what I understand don't have accurate data yet. For those who use the Lethal pigtail that connects the AIT 1 in the MAF to the AIT 2 they will get the AIT 2 displayed on the center display, but it will still not be accurate data becuase the transfer function has not been rescaled.

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Your IAT2's don't. You're using the wrong or have corrupted data.
I can't answer that? All I know is I have the Whipple setup, dual fans and their tune and with the 15 GT Premium standard dash gages. On startup up my IAT's are about ambient to 3-5 above within a few seconds and then highway driving they read the same but if I stop in traffic they have climbed to as much as 35 over ambient or 115-120F. I don't know how this is corrupt or wrong? But then I don't know anything other than what I just stated about my gages...

Sponsored

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Stock heated up the same when in traffic.

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Yes same results as stock in traffic too. I did go with the open air box.

Department Of Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff & Things
Yes same results as stock in traffic too. I did go with the open air box.
That's the thing. The stock IAT reads way out in the MAF sensor in the airbox. Your IAT2 should show what is inside the intake manifold, which is hotter. So what you're seeing is IAT1, which is mostly irrelevant on a PD car.

sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
What I find funny is everyone is so concerned about IAT,CHT,A/F.. etc etc etc... back in the day the cars didn't show shit. Now everyone stares at the information and freaks out lol:headbonk: Drive the car like you stole it and be done :headbang: don't stare at the gauges while doing it either:eyebulge:

Department Of Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff & Things
What I find funny is everyone is so concerned about IAT,CHT,A/F.. etc etc etc... back in the day the cars didn't show shit. Now everyone stares at the information and freaks out lol:headbonk: Drive the car like you stole it and be done :headbang: don't stare at the gauges while doing it either:eyebulge:
High IAT's can quickly knock 100hp out of the car. A 100hp that a lot of $$$$ was spent on.
Sponsored