Sponsored

Which race ramps for an oil change?

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I want to use ramps to facilitate an oil change on my GT350. Which race ramps do you guys use for this purpose?
Sponsored

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
On all my previous cars I changed oil myself. On my DD Audi oil changes from the top with oil evaporator and oil filter located on the top, very easy to change and I can do this in my office clothes. However, for GT350 I'm going to pay my mechanic $20 per oil change with my oil and filter. For the price of ramps $360/20 = 18 oil changes, not to mention crawling under the car and most important time saving to do more enjoyable things. Just MOO.

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
IF you're spending $360 on ramps, seriously consider a Ranger QuickJack. I paid about $960 last fall for mine, I love it, use it constantly with my Mustang.

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
rr-72-2 model, runs about $360 or so
I use these for my R and have zero issues. It's close but the splitter clears. I also have the rear blocks to get the car in the air and level.

Sponsored

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
not using the Race Ramps but did change my oil today using my usual stuff. installed the UPR drain valve also, pretty cool unit...

what about that plug blocking any impurities from coming out of the oil pan...(never mind i just watched the video u saying its magnetic at the tip).....

where can u find that kneeling blanket you used.....looks essential to the process

i had the jlt’s on my gt350 but switched to ford performance ones. They catch way more imho

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Just get one of those giant open oil catch pans. I never spill a drop. Just make sure its open, and the capacity is large enough. The oil does come flying out..

oil catch pan.jpg

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I have both setups, the race ramps and the quick jacks. I forget what model my race ramps are (I got the tallest model they make). I figured it would be better to have too much room than not enough. I also bought the extenders which allow you to drive on to them with cars that have low clearance in the front. I have not used the race ramps with my R yet but I have used them with my ZL1 1LE, which to the naked eye looks to be just as low in the front as the R. I've had no issues with clearance.

If you can easily set up your quick jacks without having to carry them then I would spend the extra money on those before you buy the race ramps. Quick Jacks allow you to do basically any job you desire at home. The race ramps are much easier to move around and set up in no time as opposed to the quick jacks which take a little more fiddling around with to make sure you have them setup properly before you lift the car.

I have both because I have to keep all my tools and equipment in my basement. it's a lot easier for me to bring out the race ramps from the basement then it is the quick jacks. quick jacks weigh about 90 lbs each !!! Both are essential if you like working on your rides.

For oil changes, my go to are the race ramps.

Sponsored

Big Ernie McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Charger Scat Pack, 2013 Silverado
I just did my first oil change today and you would be just fine with a jack stand on the left front and take the wheel off. I had two stands up front but I wouldn’t see a problem using one next time.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
just a quick tip after doing my oil change. the 1st time i didnt remove the driver's wheel and removed the filter through the drop-hatch panel. what a mess! even with my form a funnel. this 2nd time around, i removed the driver's wheel and used my form a funnel and what a difference. not a single drip or mess. i definitely recommend removing the wheel and ignoring the plastic panel. it is so much better. also this means i wouldnt use race ramps for oil changes since you obviously cant remove the wheels.

see here at my video, time stamped at 9:12...

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
I use

Steeda Jacking Rails
Race Ramps stack-able wheel cribs 4 x 5" under the fronts =
RR-WC-10-2__1.jpg

upload_2020-3-28_23-46-46.jpeg

The oil pan Tomster mentioned above
And of course a floor jack

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I completed the oil change yesterday. Race Ramps (rr-72-2) worked well. I was able to buy them at Jegs for $300. I considered buying the quick jack but it was more money than I am willing to spend at the moment. I avoided making a mess with the oil filter removal by making a funnel of sorts with aluminum foil and then just letting it drain by unscrewing it slowly.

ParkCity06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP LR032, 2020 Raptor
what about that plug blocking any impurities from coming out of the oil pan...(never mind i just watched the video u saying its magnetic at the tip).....

where can u find that kneeling blanket you used.....looks essential to the process

i had the jlt’s on my gt350 but switched to ford performance ones. They catch way more imho
What Klassen rims are you running?
Sponsored