Sponsored

Which Oil to chose from?

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
This weekend I am ordering everything I need for my first oil change. The one thing I am skeptical about is the type of oil as the 14's with the track pack apparently asked for 5w-50? As far as I know, the 15's only ask for 5w-20. Is there anything wrong with putting in 5w-30/40/50 into the 15's? Full synthetic non-motorcraft brand vs the OEM semi-synthetic motorcraft oil? It is a daily driver that sees the winters of michigan, but I plan on bringing the car to the track on hot summer days and driving the car hard. The last thing I want to do is damage the engine from non proper oil.
Sponsored

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
I don't know anything about track pack but I use 5w20 Mobil 1 full synthetic.
What I don't like about semi synthetic is there's no rule as to what percent must be synthetic to get that label. You may be putting in 99% dinosaur oil and 1% synthetic.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Honestly you'll only know if you need to increase the viscosity by going to the track. If you see higher than ideal temps. You should increase...however you should be good with 5w20 until you track. If you want a feel good go with 5w30 right before your track day until you know you need higher. No reason to go higher unless you need to

Also for your first change I personally would stick with the motorcraft blood. Then on your second change go with your full synthetic of choice. I would also stay away from Mobil 1 if you're going to spend the money on full synthetic. There are much better brands out there. Motul and Amsoil are my top brands. However I am fine with other choices as well. You really just need to do your own research, filter through the marketing and personal bias, and make the decision on your own.

Another thing to note is that even a lot of "full"synthetic are only part synthetic, some are just less synthetic than others such as Mobil 1

OP
OP
derieuz

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I ended up going with Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 full synthetic, an magnetic oil drain plug, with a royal purple oil filter. Will be changing everything tomorrow!

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Pennzoil isn't bad, I know a certain product of theirs is really good but I can't remember off the top of my head

obk787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Oxford White
Im a big Liqui Moly fan I have a friend that owns a shop and they do alot of imports specifically BMW and this is all they use for those cars. I just did my first oil change with this today at 800 miles to remove all the little particles of a new engine.

ThatsMrGimp2U

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Everette
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang (Oxford White, PP)
Mobil 1 performs pretty awful in direct injection engines. Most of the euro blend oils will do very well. I use either penzoil platinum, amsoil Sig series, or even shell rotella t6. Castrol has good offerings as well.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Sponsored