Which CAI will it be??

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
Plus the air goes through an intercooler first, significantly reducing intake air temp.
Air exits the compressor, then into the intercooler, then into the intake manifold and engine. It does not pass through the intercooler first.

Mike
Sponsored

shelby367

being me since 1964
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost premium, PP (received)
inlet air

I'm new to turbo engines, so I am just trying to gather information so I can make informed decisions about mods, so forgive my ignorance. Is the amount of air the turbo is able to gulp more important than the temp of the air? If amount of air is more important would it be better to (theoretically) use the largest straightest and shortest tube pointed as close to oncoming air as possible to feed the turbo?
Mike

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
I'm new to turbo engines, so I am just trying to gather information so I can make informed decisions about mods, so forgive my ignorance. Is the amount of air the turbo is able to gulp more important than the temp of the air? If amount of air is more important would it be better to (theoretically) use the largest straightest and shortest tube pointed as close to oncoming air as possible to feed the turbo?
Mike
Speaking in generalities, restrictions would be of primary concern to me. As stated, the intercooler does a good job of dissipating most heat.

JJ@WMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
The Airaid is the only Cold Air Intake in the list the rest are HAI Hot Air Intakes and should be avoided when there is something so obviously better out there.
So far Airaid is the only company choosing to follow suit with what Ford intended and thats an underhood box that seals the air filter from under hood hot air. That box also gets a huge amount of air via the front grill area and its inlet and if you want to know a little trick to get a bit more air to that inlet just remove a few more of the honeycombs in the grill. ;)

We have tested the Airaid already and have shown gains as well as a SOTP, pulling much harder up top feel over stock.

For those that will use a "surround" or heat shield with an open filter I feel that design will hurt this EB turbo application. A sealed box with plenty of fresh air available to it is the way to go and once again I will say that not only is Airaid the only one doing this but its the only one that is readily available.. :headbang:

Our results here;

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/woodbine-motorsports-airaid-5758.html

For anyone interested in a great CAI for these 15 cars just give us a call, we will take care of you. :thumbsup:

JJ

5TAR5CR3AM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT deep impact blue
I'm sorry but once that air hits the compressor it will become heated anyways. A CAI simply just does not have the effect on a turbocharged engine that it will have on a NA one. The feel that it pulls harder up top may hold true however not because it is a cai, but because it allows the turbo to breath easier. You will be better off spending the money on an intercooler then some fancy overpriced intake.

Sponsored

JerseyDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Ecoboost Mustang
I'm sorry but once that air hits the compressor it will become heated anyways. A CAI simply just does not have the effect on a turbocharged engine that it will have on a NA one. The feel that it pulls harder up top may hold true however not because it is a cai, but because it allows the turbo to breath easier. You will be better off spending the money on an intercooler then some fancy overpriced intake.
Yes once the air charge gets compressed it heats up BUT
- the hotter the air into the compressor=the hotter the air out!
-this hotter charge into the intercooler again=hotter air out!
- in an autocross/staging lane/low speed high power situation the intake can be every bit as important as the intercooler(which is relying completely on its thermal reserve to cool the charge)
-100% correct on the breath easier comment, if possible you always want the intake in the highest positive pressure/coldest location possible with the least amount of length and restriction.

When going about designing intakes and intercoolers we try to never leave any power or advantage in efficiency on the table. On a car with a turbo being pushed out to the right side of its compressor map the temp and pressure into the compressor creates the line whether you are continuing to push more cfm airflow or simply pump out heat...

Here's a little ait/intercooler efficiency calculator to play with to see the above effects before the compressor and then how it relates to pre and post IC temps.
http://www.stealth316.com/2-turbotemp.htm

5TAR5CR3AM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT deep impact blue
Yes once the air charge gets compressed it heats up BUT
- the hotter the air into the compressor=the hotter the air out!
-this hotter charge into the intercooler again=hotter air out!
- in an autocross/staging lane/low speed high power situation the intake can be every bit as important as the intercooler(which is relying completely on its thermal reserve to cool the charge)
-100% correct on the breath easier comment, if possible you always want the intake in the highest positive pressure/coldest location possible with the least amount of length and restriction.

When going about designing intakes and intercoolers we try to never leave any power or advantage in efficiency on the table. On a car with a turbo being pushed out to the right side of its compressor map the temp and pressure into the compressor creates the line whether you are continuing to push more cfm airflow or simply pump out heat...

Here's a little ait/intercooler efficiency calculator to play with to see the above effects before the compressor and then how it relates to pre and post IC temps.
http://www.stealth316.com/2-turbotemp.htm

Thanks for the explanation!

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Air exits the compressor, then into the intercooler, then into the intake manifold and engine. It does not pass through the intercooler first.

Mike

They were talking about intake air temp, which is the temp the air is before it goes into the throttle body, in which the intetcooler drops them temps tremendously

shelby367

being me since 1964
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost premium, PP (received)
compromise

I live in Denver and most of my track/race days are above 5000' where we don't have much air for cooling or for making power. Most things tend to be a compromise of one thing or another, for my high altitude example would I be better off choosing more air but hotter or less air but cooler entering the turbo ?
I suspect a larger intercooler is even more important at this altitude but I really am just learning here.
I think I will also have to address oil temps with increased power output.
Mike

Sponsored

JerseyDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Ecoboost Mustang
I live in Denver and most of my track/race days are above 5000' where we don't have much air for cooling or for making power. Most things tend to be a compromise of one thing or another, for my high altitude example would I be better off choosing more air but hotter or less air but cooler entering the turbo ?
I suspect a larger intercooler is even more important at this altitude but I really am just learning here.
I think I will also have to address oil temps with increased power output.
Mike
Always cooler air as its more dense. In your case at altitude providing a ram air effect to the turbo increases efficiency greatly. As far as intercoolers go bigger is not necessarily always better, efficiency and thermal reserve is the name of the game.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Id stick with stock. Ford engineered that airbox so well that there really isn't much to be gained going to a different setup. At most ill put in a K&N Filter for longer life and slightly better breathing

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.

They were talking about intake air temp, which is the temp the air is before it goes into the throttle body, in which the intetcooler drops them temps tremendously
You stated that air goes through the intercooler first, which I took as a literal statement and not the implied meaning, which was after the compressor it passes through the intercooler and then to the TB.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
Id stick with stock. Ford engineered that airbox so well that there really isn't much to be gained going to a different setup. At most ill put in a K&N Filter for longer life and slightly better breathing
Well, Ford also engineered this stock tune and it blows dead bears. Just because mother Ford provides a part in stock form, does not mean it works. Those of us that have been tinkering with Fords for a while know that they are notorious for hamstringing the cars with parts that degrade performance, especially on the lower line models. Just like Chevy does it with the Vette, Ford does it with the GT and protects that car as the top dog (as well as the specialty models). If they delivered the EB without some of these restrictions and with a more aggressive tune, it would run with the Coyote. Can't have that.

Mike

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
While a bone stock car likely won't see huge gains with an intake, I definitely don't feel the same way about there not being room for improvement. Ford did a good job hitting all of their targets, but with any factory engineered part it's about tradeoffs.

Cost
Emissions compliance
Cost
durability
Cost
Efficiency

It's likely in that order too. The big key is when you tune them, you need as much airflow as you can get. Trust me, there will be plenty of gains from an intake on these cars.
Sponsored