Where are classic mustangs?

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've noticed this year that classic mustangs have went up in price and lots are gone off listings. I don't see well done fastbacks for 50-60K anymore. They are close to 100K now. What gives?
Funny how a pandemic caused houses and cars to jump up in price.
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Don't forget, a lot of good cars (rust free, accident free) were lost to the cash for clunkers program. That alone raised the prices for what is left. Not to mention cars in the junkyards that were to far gone were passed by 10 years ago, now they are being repaired and restored. You could easily spend 30K plus getting one of those forgotten relics up to a usable condition. In most cases it's easier from a legal standpoint to repair a rusted out relic than to start from scratch with a new body shell. A lot of junkyards have realized this and even a totally gone shell that can't be repaired but with a good vin will cost you 10K+. Some states (like Ohio) will allow you to transfer the vin to a new shell, you just have to prove ownership of the new parts and have a clean title of the vehicle the vin came from, now your 25K+ into a new shell with a vin, then you still have to build a car from there. In today's market, building a car from a new shell with all new parts could cost you 200K+ by the time your done. And you complain that good first gen mustangs are fast approaching 100K.

OP
OP

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Probably a combination of interest in them due to the auction scene, and the fact that they quite literally don't make them like that anymore. Every 1st gen Mustang is over 50 years old now. They weren't built to last that long, and I suspect most are completely rusted out by now. Then you have to account for the amount that have been wrecked, crushed, scrapped, etc. Dwindling supply and increasing demand can only raise prices. Hell, clean fox bodies with no accidents aren't cheap anymore either. 10 years ago you could get nice ones for $5k. Now it's more like $20k.
Good points and true. Iā€™d rather pick up a another new mustang

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
They kept going up in prices over the last few years as they've became more sought for and more "classic". It actually was hard to find a one in a decent shape that wasn't fully restored (and owner didn't want Mecum-auction-kind-of-money for it).

Mine needs work but being 55 year old car, it's basically rust free and at this point not even doing anything to it, it's gaining value, unlike 99.9% cars out there ;-)

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
At this point, I feel like the best entry into a "classic" Mustang is to buy something like a Revology.
Last time I looked, a revology started at 180K, that was about a year and a half ago.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Maybe they topped out at 180, it was a while ago when I looked.

I like the concept of a revology, but I wish they gave cheaper engine choices. Like maybe just a 2.0 or 2.3 ecoboost with a 6R80 in a 66 vert

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Are you speaking of the ā€œRestomodā€ Mustangs that are slammed to the ground, have funky exterior and interior colors/styling, retain nothing original and have modern drivetrains - because yes, some of those sellers are on crack asking $100k+ for that type of Mustang. Some of these donā€™t even have warranty plates or the VIN on the fenders because who knows what the original Alpha Code used to be - or if itā€™s a coupe made into a Fastback...

If youā€™re seeking just classic Mustangs as you and I know them - research and hit up tons of vehicle lister sites, youā€™ll easily find good 64-70 Mustangs in the $20-$30k price range all day long....

Those with ridiculous asking prices aside from genuine Shelbyā€™s are constantly relisted over and over and over and over again on Craigā€™s and eBay because no one is going to drop $60k-100k+ on a C, D or T Code Mustang....

If itā€™s a genuine proven to be A or K Code, yes expect the $50k-$100k price points for those that are well preserved OR have been nut-bolt restored and retain historical and resto expense documentation.

Thereā€™s a ā€œShelby Tributeā€ fastback currently online that was an original T-Code. The dealership where itā€™s listed wants $100k, no BS. For $100k+ Iā€™d buy the genuine real deal Shelby, at least it has pedigree and history attached to it (and will continually appreciate).

Some people (sellers) are just fā€™n nuts when it comes to classic vehicle asking prices, and not just Mustangs.

The prices below are for decent restored Driver-A/B quality with nothing else needed:

1965-1966 Mustang Fastback C-codes expect on average $30k-$40k.

1965-1966 Mustang Fastback A-codes, expect on average of $45-$55k.

1965-1966 Mustang fastback K-codes, expect on average of $70k+.

Junk condition fastbacks with title and warranty plate - meaning totally rotted out shells, missing partial drivetrains and interiors - these on average are fetching $6k-$8k - and thatā€™s if it still has doors, hoods, glass and partial floors.

1965-66 Coupes in same categories above are usually less than their fastback counterpart. Now it used to be a coupe was roughly $8k-$10k less than an equally A/C/D/K coded and optioned Fastback - but in recent years the coupes have closed the gap since fastbacks are now harder to come by; coupes are usually now within $5k of a similar equipped fastback.

Good examples are out there that are drivable and either donā€™t need any work or minimal work. You just have to dive into the online abyss and search... thereā€™s tons of them still available for the pickings.

Last edited:
OP
OP

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Are you speaking of the ā€œRestomodā€ Mustangs that are slammed to the ground, have funky exterior and interior colors/styling, retain nothing original and have modern drivetrains - because yes, some of those sellers are on crack asking $100k+ for that type of Mustang. Some of these donā€™t even have warranty plates or the VIN on the fenders because who knows what the original Alpha Code used to be - or if itā€™s a coupe made into a Fastback...

If youā€™re seeking just classic Mustangs as you and I know them - research and hit up tons of vehicle lister sites, youā€™ll easily find good 64-70 Mustangs in the $20-$30k price range all day long....

Those with ridiculous asking prices aside from genuine Shelbyā€™s are constantly relisted over and over and over and over again on Craigā€™s and eBay because no one is going to drop $60k-100k+ on a C, D or T Code Mustang....

If itā€™s a genuine proven to be A or K Code, yes expect the $50k-$100k price points for those that are well preserved OR have been nut-bolt restored and retain historical and resto expense documentation.

Thereā€™s a ā€œShelby Tributeā€ fastback currently online that was an original T-Code. The dealership where itā€™s listed wants $100k, no BS. For $100k+ Iā€™d buy the genuine real deal Shelby, at least it has pedigree and history attached to it (and will continually appreciate).

Some people (sellers) are just fā€™n nuts when it comes to classic vehicle asking prices, and not just Mustangs.

The prices below are for decent restored Driver-A/B quality with nothing else needed:

1965-1966 Mustang Fastback C-codes expect on average $30k-$40k.

1965-1966 Mustang Fastback A-codes, expect on average of $45-$55k.

1965-1966 Mustang fastback K-codes, expect on average of $70k+.

Junk condition fastbacks with title and warranty plate - meaning totally rotted out shells, missing partial drivetrains and interiors - these on average are fetching $6k-$8k - and thatā€™s if it still has doors, hoods, glass and partial floors.

1965-66 Coupes in same categories above are usually less than their fastback counterpart. Now it used to be a coupe was roughly $8k-$10k less than an equally A/C/D/K coded and optioned Fastback - but in recent years the coupes have closed the gap since fastbacks are now harder to come by; coupes are usually now within $5k of a similar equipped fastback.

Good examples are out there that are drivable and either donā€™t need any work or minimal work. You just have to dive into the online abyss and search... thereā€™s tons of them still available for the pickings.
Thanks. Very good points and breakdown.
I mostly look at classic auto trader and northeast dealers.
Definitely not want to pay 100k for fake shelby, but want something in great shape.
Even 69-70 is getting higher.
Iā€™m just learning the codes.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
Exactly this- I just sold a 66GT350H clone 2 years ago and a real 67 GT500 last year- I can tell you first hand that the cars being advertised at those prices arent selling- my GT500 was an older restoration- but everything original correct- most of the chrome stainless was in beautiful shape and original- had a 4 page layout in a magazine- was on Hot Rod TV- signed by both Mario Andretti and Carroll Shelby- had pictures of Andretti sitting in my car- I started off at 150K and after months and months and months of no phone calls ended up selling close to 120K- this is for a real documented GT500 that while was an older restoration was in beautiful shape - I looked a year later and pretty much all of the higher priced cars from when I sold mine were still for sale a month ago - I think this is just the I know what I have - or they saw one sell for 500K at Barrett Jackson so they wont take a penny less crown

OP
OP

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Exactly this- I just sold a 66GT350H clone 2 years ago and a real 67 GT500 last year- I can tell you first hand that the cars being advertised at those prices arent selling- my GT500 was an older restoration- but everything original correct- most of the chrome stainless was in beautiful shape and original- had a 4 page layout in a magazine- was on Hot Rod TV- signed by both Mario Andretti and Carroll Shelby- had pictures of Andretti sitting in my car- I started off at 150K and after months and months and months of no phone calls ended up selling close to 120K- this is for a real documented GT500 that while was an older restoration was in beautiful shape - I looked a year later and pretty much all of the higher priced cars from when I sold mine were still for sale a month ago - I think this is just the I know what I have - or they saw one sell for 500K at Barrett Jackson so they wont take a penny less crown
Agree, I see the same cars in 90-150K stay on for a year. I do think you can make an offer though.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! All their cars in the $200K. Saw a Bronco company doing the same and some are up to $300K.
nice if you have a couple hundred K burning a hole in your pocket šŸ˜€
The 68 FB in my avatar will cost way less to restore. My best friend owned it since 1977 and it was on the road up to a few years ago. Sat outside covered for a while and that's when things went sideways. He gave it to my son two years ago. We stripped it down to bare metal, replaced inner/outer cowl, floors, front sub frames, etc. Have new metal for full quarters, inner/outer rockers, fenders, door skins, wheel wells..trunk lid and hood will be fiberglass.
Only metal not getting replaced is the roof....but that could change as well šŸ˜€ It will be a resto mod when done....all modern suspension, brakes, electronics, rebuilt 1969 351W....

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! All their cars in the $200K. Saw a Bronco company doing the same and some are up to $300K.
here's our starting point....when she was on the road in late 80s

IMG_1519.JPG
Sponsored