Sponsored

When will Ford offer an 8-speed auto like Chevy and Dodge?

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
10 speed may seem like overkill but the more gears the auto will have the closer it will be in relation to a CVT. A CVT is essentially a transmission with (theoretically) infinitely many gears.

The more gears a trans has the better it is at always staying at peak power, as well as peak economy when cruising.

So more is better, but at what point do the benefits (time at peak power/peak efficiency) no longer outweigh the downfalls (weight, shift times, size)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
10 speed might be a bit too much, I'd be happy with a Dual clutch gear box for quicker shifts. The current 6 speed seem pretty good to me.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
10 speed is going to have shifts every 700 RPMS or something? :D
God I hope so. Quicker ET's, more mpgs. Bring it.

GrabberBlue5.0 said:
So more is better, but at what point do the benefits (time at peak power/peak efficiency) no longer outweigh the downfalls (weight, shift times, size)?
I read an article stating that more than about 10 speeds is where the negatives start to outweigh the positives...at this point at least.

After driving an 8 speed 3.6 Chrysler 300 w/ what I think was a .48 high gear, the only thing that seemed odd to me was there are so few revs at cruise speeds (just above idle) on the highway that the slightest increase in load necessitated a downshift to get any kinda torque to the wheels just to maintain speed. That's a minor complaint, and one I'm sure I'd get used to.

SnoopisTDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2015 GTPP, Recaros, 2004 Lexus GX470
10 speed might be a bit too much, I'd be happy with a Dual clutch gear box for quicker shifts. The current 6 speed seem pretty good to me.
I would've definitely considered a dual clutch if it was available when I bought mine. I loved the DSG in my GTI.

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
After riding a 21 speed bicycle and driving a 13 speed 18 wheeler I'm a big fan of more gears. 10 would be pretty ideal for a car application.

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I know the 10 speed is probably in the '17/'18 (I would assume the '17 due to the Camaro having the 8 speed now) but was definitely shocked when they at least didn't have an 8 speed in the redesigned S550 last year. Not sure why they carried over the 6 speed gear box in the auto.

Definitely trying to figure out the % that the 10 speed will be in the '17s...really making my decision tough on the '16 or waiting till the '17.

OP
OP
SILVER GT

SILVER GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT/CS & '93 LX 5.0
Definitely trying to figure out the % that the 10 speed will be in the '17s...really making my decision tough on the '16 or waiting till the '17.
Same thing here...I plan on ordering a '16 in a few months. If I knew FOR SURE, the '17 would have the new tranny, I would wait. With Dodge and Chevy having 8 speeds now, I think Ford can't wait till '18...

A 10 speed auto GT with the 3:55 gears would be a fast car. Low 12's easily, and probably get 30 mpg's.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Same thing here...I plan on ordering a '16 in a few months. If I knew FOR SURE, the '17 would have the new tranny, I would wait. With Dodge and Chevy having 8 speeds now, I think Ford can't wait till '18...

A 10 speed auto GT with the 3:55 gears would be a fast car. Low 12's easily, and probably get 30 mpg's.
Agreed. My only concern is nothing else has the 10 speed in it right now...the F-150 is supposed to coming up but still nothing/no word on it other then the Raptor.

I wish stuff like this was known so people could make informed decisions.

whirledpeaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Lariat
They should just keep the 6 auto and throw a 2 speed rear end under it. [emoji13]

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
I've experienced the latest 8-speed ZF in a BMW 235i and it is a SUPERB gearbox, managing to be in the right gear for any occasion. It makes the 6-speed in my BMW 535 feel ancient, slow and cumbersome. You can bet ZF will be going for a 10-speed next time around.
I had a F30 3 series with this gearbox, and it really is an amazing gearbox. It is hands down the best non-DCT automatic transmission. It shifts very quick, is very smooth, is in the gear you want to be in, and is very predictable. I also loved how it would downshift multiple gears if you really wanted the extra power.

The only negative thing about it the ZF-8 is too many gears. It is constantly up shifting on take-off, and you'd be in 8th gear at 35-40 mph, though you wouldn't really notice as it's quick and smooth. It did pay off as the car did get amazing gas mileage.

This is the automatic transmission the Mustang deserves.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
What are these, automatic transmissions, you people speak of?

Edit: Ford also has a patent on an 11 speed slushbox.