Sponsored

When will Ford offer an 8-speed auto like Chevy and Dodge?

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
imagine 3.73 gearing with 8 speeds rofl :frusty:
Sponsored

Marino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
Well if Ford can make a 10R80 (10 forward gears, "R"ear wheel drive, 80x10, 800ftlb tq rating) to replace the 6R80 then I think everything will be just fine.

It just bothers me when I see people doubting Ford engineers on a product that is still in development. I think most people can agree that Ford is on top of their game and they seem to know what they're doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not doubting they can accomplish it. I'm just saying that it is no easy task especially if this is a dual clutch. Look at all of the issues with Ford's previous dual clutch transmission in their compact cars. Dual clutch transmissions are hugely more complicated to build and usually not repairable.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
DCT arent end all be all either, they have low speed smoothness issues and a lot more maintenance than other transmissions. The Acura TLX 9DCT uses a torque converter for the first couple gears for a reason - to have torque multiplication and low speed smoothness of an AT

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Count me in the doubters. Chrysler can't get their 9-speed right; it doesn't go into 9th gear except downhill in a tailwind. The current AT doesn't need a deeper 1st gear (it's too low with 3.15s now) and doesn't really need a higher high gear. Maybe one step. And maybe a gear between 1st and 2nd, but then I think we're good. That would be 8 gears, max. Six is really OK.

You know they're all headed to CVTs, right? Better/cheaper/stronger/less complicated.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
The current AT doesn't need a deeper 1st gear (it's too low with 3.15s now)
Blasphemy! I have yet to see a stock car w/ drag radials pull the front wheels off the ground...

and doesn't really need a higher high gear.
Blasphemy again! Cruise at 80 just above idle is awesome. Quiet, mpg efficient, little throttle input, doesn't feel labored...

You know they're all headed to CVTs, right? Better/cheaper/stronger/less complicated.
They wish. CVTs are far from 'better' or stronger...

Sponsored

smitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Auto, 13 Escape SEL
Ford is moving to the ecoboost stuff. The 2.3 falls on its face after 5500 rpm, where as the coyote keeps pulling for another 1500 rpm. More gears with shorter spacing keeps the turbo engines in their powerband and still allows for very relaxed cruising rpm. I agree 10 speeds sounds excessive, but with the narrowed rpm ranges of these turbo engines, I could see it being workable to allow the best of all words. I'd take a twin turbo v6 with a 10 speed auto. That would be a bloody fast car and return over 30 on the highway easy. And still sound good :cool:

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Count me in the doubters. Chrysler can't get their 9-speed right; it doesn't go into 9th gear except downhill in a tailwind. The current AT doesn't need a deeper 1st gear (it's too low with 3.15s now) and doesn't really need a higher high gear. Maybe one step. And maybe a gear between 1st and 2nd, but then I think we're good. That would be 8 gears, max. Six is really OK.

I have driven a 200 with the 2.4 4cyl and the 3.6 v6 both with the 9 speed they both shift into 9 around 50 mph and they both are extremely smooth you have to pay very close attention to know what gear you are in. ZF did a great job designing that transmission.

Tristar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
10 Speed Not Needed

The more I drive my GT, the less I think you need more than 6 speed Auto.

I think the current 8 speed and 9 speed units from Dodge and whoever are overkill and not needed.

Of course if your looking for some ridiculous MPG from a V8, maybe that will do something.

Just my two cents, Chris

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
I have driven a 200 with the 2.4 4cyl and the 3.6 v6 both with the 9 speed they both shift into 9 around 50 mph and they both are extremely smooth you have to pay very close attention to know what gear you are in. ZF did a great job designing that transmission.
That is true of some of the lighter sedans, the larger vehicles with the 9 speed will not hit 9th in normal driving simply due to aerodynamic drag at the speeds where it would otherwise make a difference but not lug the engine. I've never seen 9th in my Jeep and I still check all the time just to see the unicorn, I know one day it will magically appear. It's an 8 speed with a downhill overdrive gear for 71.23 MPH at 1400 MSL.
Sponsored