Sponsored

When will Ford offer an 8-speed auto like Chevy and Dodge?

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
They're the transmissions in the cars you keep seeing the tail lights of at the drag strip
A manual guy with hurt feelings because of an auto winning. LOL. We know you have the upper hand. Or shall I say a single foot in the race.
Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
10 speed might be a bit too much, I'd be happy with a Dual clutch gear box for quicker shifts. The current 6 speed seems pretty good to me.
According to the referenced TTAC article, the 10-spd trans would have 5 clutches in it.

With the torque and power of the Coyote, it is not a big problem with just 6 speeds. However, a taller top gear would be nice, IOW 7 speeds. Or maybe two taller gears with 8 speeds. (We need higher speed limits!)

But with 10 I suppose the engine would always be in the sweet spot. It's just that that spot is already pretty wide.

Marino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
I'm just worried about the durability and strength of a 10 speed. It needs to be as strong and reliable as the current 6 speed. I have a hard time seeing that.

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
I'm just worried about the durability and strength of a 10 speed. It needs to be as strong and reliable as the current 6 speed. I have a hard time seeing that.

What makes a 10 speed trans inherently weaker than a 6 speed?

Also, if I remember correctly this 10 speed is a joint venture with GM, I'll see if I can dig up more info on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
because the 6 speed auto has already been proven to be robust as hell

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
That doesn't make the 10 speed inherently weaker than the 6 speed.

I get that people like what has been proven, but why can't Ford make a 10 speed as robust as their current 6 speed?

Some have no faith in the ford engineers that keep whipping Chevys ass lol

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
That doesn't make the 10 speed inherently weaker than the 6 speed.

I get that people like what has been proven, but why can't Ford make a 10 speed as robust as their current 6 speed?

Some have no faith in the ford engineers that keep whipping Chevys ass lol

Physical space constraints. The gears have to be smaller or the unit has to be larger (and in reality, both).

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
Well if Ford can make a 10R80 (10 forward gears, "R"ear wheel drive, 80x10, 800ftlb tq rating) to replace the 6R80 then I think everything will be just fine.

It just bothers me when I see people doubting Ford engineers on a product that is still in development. I think most people can agree that Ford is on top of their game and they seem to know what they're doing.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
Physical space constraints. The gears have to be smaller or the unit has to be larger (and in reality, both).
The same argument could've been made about 4 to 6 speeds...note how wrong that reasoning would've been...

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
The Chrysler 8 speed in the RWD cars and the 9 spd in the 200, Cherokee and next year's refreshed Dart are made by ZF. I have driven a Charger and a 200 with these transmissions and they are seemless.

packerfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang gt grabber blue
They keep increasing number of gears in autos but how come so few 7 or 8 speed manuals?