Sponsored

When did Ford change the recommended engine oil for the GT?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Funny you mentioned that, I looked into it. Was on the fence at first, other than the gold container. There was not enough difference to be worth while.

Don't remember exactly but I think it had something to do with Turbo powered cars, as the packaging makes reference to BMW.
It’s an ACEA a3/b4 oil which has a higher concentration of anti-wear additive, higher min HTHS, plus higher starting TBN. It’s a totally different specification designed specifically for high performance engines. Api SN/SN+/SP (castrol edge 5w30 us) willing trades off engine longevity for fuel efficiency.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It’s an ACEA a3/b4 oil which has a higher concentration of anti-wear additive, higher min HTHS, plus higher starting TBN. It’s a totally different specification designed specifically for high performance engines. Api SN/SN+/SP (castrol edge 5w30 us) willing trades off engine longevity for fuel efficiency.
Does it meet the spec Ford calls for in owner's manuals (eg: WSS-M2C946-A in my 2016 US manual) or a spec that's documented to supersedes the one in a manual, in any market? Would make use anywhere else nothing to worry about.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Does it meet the spec Ford calls for in owner's manuals (eg: WSS-M2C946-A in my 2016 US manual) or a spec that's documented to supersedes the one in a manual, in any market? Would make use anywhere else nothing to worry about.
Most definitely not. The a3/b4 is a performance engine oil spec that prioritizes engine protection, which is mutually exclusive to API SP and the Ford spec which puts a lot of priority on fuel efficiency and incremental catalyst protection.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Most definitely not. The a3/b4 is a performance engine oil spec that prioritizes engine protection, which is mutually exclusive to API SP and the Ford spec which puts a lot of priority on fuel efficiency and incremental catalyst protection.
Sounds like the same educated guess I would make. Can't tell from your post if you are familiar with the spec called for in various market owner manuals or the specs for that oil. If you are, please post them. I understand not doing that if for no other reason than takes time to revisit your earlier research.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Worried about warranty? I'll take protection over fuel economy.

Ford would have to prove the oil caused the engine failure. Would have better luck winning the powerball 3 weeks in a row

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
https://kendallmotoroil.com/news/ev...ow-about-gf-6-and-api-sp-motor-oil-standards/

Everything You Need to Know About GF-6 and API SP Motor Oil Standards.
  • May 1, 2020
GF6_EverythingYouNeedToKnow_Post1.png

The new ILSAC GF-6 and API SP specifications for passenger car motor oil will launch on May 1, 2020, directly affecting both installers and consumers.
These new, higher performance oil categories have been developed in response to several driving forces. The most important factors include need to improve fuel economy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions as well as the increasing demands of modern engine technologies.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I would say that if your intent is to strictly stick to the Ford spec, then I would use pennzoil ultra platinum 5w20 or 30, depending on how loose you define “oem spec”.

If you don’t care about the complete oem spec but want to stick to the viscosity piece of it, then the castrol 5w30 a3/b4 would be my choice.

If you stretch your definition of “spec” out to include the viscosity that Whipple or roush recommend then I’d use mobil1 5w50 (a3/b4)

If you’re ok splitting the viscosity difference between roush and Ford, and want an additive package designed for high performance engines, then I’d use (and I do use) pennzoil platinum euro 5w40 or Quaker State ultimate durability euro 5w40. These are also a3/b4.

Clear as mud?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Castrol spec.
Castrol-EDGE-5W-30
Castrol-EDGE A3/B4 5W-30

Castrol-EDGE-5W-30-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor Oil
Features: 3X Stronger against viscosity breakdown than leading full synthetic* 10X Better High Temperature performance** 6X Better Wear Protection; 1.4X Better Sludge Protection*** Meets ILSAC GF-6 to prevent low speed pre ignition (LSPI) and timing chain wear protection

Castrol-EDGE A3/B4 5W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil Castrol EDGE is a full synthetic motor oil that is engineered for drivers who want only the best from their engines. Castrol EDGE with Fluid TITANIUM Technology, is the natural choice for drivers who demand maximum performance and protection from their cars. Unlock exhilarating performance with ...

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
That’s a bunch of marketing hooey. Better to look at differences and intent of the specs they meet.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a bunch of marketing hooey. Better to look at differences and intent of the specs they meet.
Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 12.13.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 12.12.36 PM.png

Have a long history with Castrol and am quit sure & confident, what I am using will go the distance, and preform quite well.

What is your proof, other then reading marketing hooey?

Better to look at differences and intent of the specs they meet.

"Bird in hand is better then 2 in the bush."

Last edited:

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Have a long history with Castrol and am quit sure & confident, what I am using will go the distance, and preform quite well.
I'm certain it will.

What is your proof, other then reading marketing hooey?
I posted the proof in #258. We can delve deep into why more ZDDP, higher HTHS, and higher TBN are better for protection and what the actual numerical specs state for the limits. But each one of these were subjected to exhaustive research and numerous industry studies going back many decades. It's not even arguable at this point. I'm just saying that I would understand and trust the specs that they meet and the intent of those specs over snippings from the websites with advertising claims.

Really, the only thing that's the same between the two is the SAE J300 viscosity grade, but even that is a tad misleading because the A3/B4 version is higher viscosity, almost a 40 grade, and nearly 20% more viscous. They *might* be the same group base oil, but definitely not even the same blend base oil.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
The oil viscosity mentioned in the manual is a recommendation, not a requirement.

The manual also says this however:
"""
Use oil and fluid that meets the defined
specification and viscosity grade.

If you do not use oil and fluid that meets
the defined specification and viscosity
grade, it could result in:

• Component damage not covered by
the vehicle warranty.
"""
Which pretty much makes it a requirement as I understand it, and I had law for one year as an optional subject in high school, so I'm not just a arm chair lawyer, thank you. (I'm in fact sitting on a bar stool, I might have you know.)

Pretty sure Ford can't deny a warranty claim if you don't show them proof of oil changes. There's virtually no way for them to verify what was actually put in the engine months and years ago...only what's in the engine currently.
Dunno, but if I have no proof/documentation of oil changes, I'm not sure I'd blame Ford too much for not covering my engine. I'm also not qualified (and I doubt many in the world are) to engage in any sort of argument with Ford about why some oil I used is as good or better than what matches the Ford "defined specification and viscosity grade".

Were my car not under warranty any longer I'd follow the common consensus here and switch to 5w-30 I think, but for now I don't want to do that for fear of getting a warranty claim denied, just because I did not adhere to the defined oil spec.

Last edited:

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I upgraded mine to GT350 spec
cap.jpg

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I have never seen an engine blow up due to having oil in it. Even the cheap convenience store non detergent oil lubes the engine.
Sponsored