Sponsored

When did Ford change the recommended engine oil for the GT?

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I forget which engine builder said this but it is true ""use the thinnest oil you can stand the noise of""
The more accurate statement would be to use the thinnest oil for your application. I wouldn't want to be the guy running 0w-16 in a vehicle that's seeing 300°F oil temps because I was able to tolerate the sound.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The more accurate statement would be to use the thinnest oil for your application. I wouldn't want to be the guy running 0w-16 in a vehicle that's seeing 300°F oil temps because I was able to tolerate the sound.

It was kind of tongue in cheek. 300 degree oil temps I want a 60 weight, or at min a 50

Back in the day Nascar teams ran straight 0 weight in their qualifying motors

Last edited:

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I just can't cant fathom what I would do if my engine for some reason, a reason I'm sure would not be related to 5-20 vs 5-30, blew up and when asked by Ford warranty to show documentation for oil changes, my documentation showed me using a non-2020 spec oil.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I just can't cant fathom what I would do if my engine for some reason, a reason I'm sure would not be related to 5-20 vs 5-30, blew up and when asked by Ford warranty to show documentation for oil changes, my documentation showed me using a non-2020 spec oil.
The oil viscosity mentioned in the manual is a recommendation, not a requirement.

Pretty sure Ford can't deny a warranty claim if you don't show them proof of oil changes. There's virtually no way for them to verify what was actually put in the engine months and years ago...only what's in the engine currently. Ford also recommends 5w30 for track use, so it's not like you're using some crazy thick 10w60 oil, it's still one of the recommended oils (they also recommend 0w20 for winter use in colder climates).

1638381946552.png

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I always use the required fluids as long as a new vehicle id under warranty. Wait till the miles or time is up to do a drastic change.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
You would have to really piss someone off for them to deny warranty for grade of oil. If they even can. I don't remember anything that says warranty will be denied unless you use xW-xx oil.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; I always use the required fluids as long as a new vehicle id under warranty. Wait till the miles or time is up to do a drastic change.

Come on you're a smart guy you believe , moving to 30W from 20 is going to void a warranty..... drastic change ? :computerrage:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Found this at my local dealer today
cap.jpg
cap.jpg

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Come on you're a smart guy you believe , moving to 30W from 20 is going to void a warranty..... drastic change ? :computerrage:
Hello; First thing is you example is not a drastic change. There has been discussion of bigger changes which would come closer to drastic.

Next is I do not know how far a company will go to check a warranty claim. I do not know if oil can be tested in a practical way to determine a difference between 20 weight and 30 weight. Seems more likely for a bigger oil weight difference. A simple way to check may be to get the oil to a set temperature then pour it thru a device with a very accurate sized hole in it. Then measure how long it takes to flow. If they will do such a thing is not something I know about.

Next is the deal implied with a new car warranty. They describe a range of actions you must adhere to along with specs for things such as fluids you must use to keep that warranty in force. I do not mind following the rules during a warranty period to keep up my end of the deal.

Some decades ago law suits were won allowing that we can use non factory oils and such. The company gives us the specs for things such as oil and as long as we use oil within the correct specs, we can use any brand of parts we want.

Last for me is I do my own work such as changing oil and filters. During a warranty period I keep receipts for all the parts I buy for a vehicle. That is my only way to have proof of being in compliance with the specs for my vehicle.

On a practical view, there is not much difference between 20 weight and 30 weight. Both my current vehicles are well beyond warranty time, but I still use the recommended 5-w-30 most of the time. I do sometimes use 10-W-30 during warm weather. I have even mixed in some 5-W-20 with both 5-w-30 and 10-w-30 over the years with no harm. I waited until after the warranty time/miles when the action are on my own dime.

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2021 twister orange gt performance pack
I am late to the party. I have a 21 gtpp manual twister orange. Glad i already run 5w-30

BEA3DFC1-3A8E-41AD-A9D1-C054E183B487.jpeg

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I like my 8 dollar 5w-50 cap

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2021 twister orange gt performance pack
Ha well my Canadian gen 3 Coyote redlines at only 6500 lol... atleast thats what my tach says. Yeah they screw up lots of stuff :)
Switch to drag mode and it redlines at 7400😉

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My oil cap reads 20w the motor runs 30w, am I wrong ...? Even more wrong WIX filter ....

Living on the edge I am..... :devil:

IMG_0637.jpeg

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Rapid Red if you want an upgrade get the castrol edge 5w30 euro a3/b4.

Funny you mentioned that, I looked into it. Was on the fence at first, other than the gold container. There was not enough difference to be worth while.

Don't remember exactly but I think it had something to do with Turbo powered cars, as the packaging makes reference to BMW.
Sponsored