Sponsored

When did Ford change the recommended engine oil for the GT?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Now the question is, what should we use in a 2020 engine?
The fact that the 2020 manual hasn't been updated, but they chose instead to publish a different one for 2021, seems to suggest that the new recommendation applies exclusively to 2021 engines, perhaps due to some internal changes. However, an update of the engine is extremely unlikely to have happened in 2020, and we know that Ford would have no qualms whatsoever about intentionally leaving the 2020 manual unchanged just to avoid admitting that they made a mistake. So, what should we do? Should we trust Ford and continue using 5W-20? Or should we trust or instincts and switch to 0W-30?
Unless someone can demonstrate a major mechanical change for 2021, ill probably switch to 5w30.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; There will be a potential catch 22 with the oil. I do not know how deep Ford may go to check for out of spec oil, but lets figure they can for a moment. If the owners of older Fords go to the newer specified oil weight they may be running afoul of the owners manual specs. I can see how this might be used to void a warranty. One the other hand going to the newest spec oil may prevent some of the problems reported by many.
Of course if you are out of warranty then it will not matter in terms of what Ford does.

The way I deal with warranty is to keep receipts for the oils and parts I use while a vehicle is under warranty. On those receipts will be information about the weight of the oil used. I keep the receipts in case I need a warranty repair. I guess you could buy the owners manual spec oil and the new oil both and only use the new oil.

Since we are talking viscosity at particular temperatures it seems to me the oil could be tested by pouring it thru a device at the two temperatures. I have a very simple device for testing the viscosity of paint as I mix it for spraying. I fill a cup like container with a sized hole in the bottom. How long it takes the paint to drain out tells me if it is thin enough or too thin.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I really, really doubt that the dealer is going to be able to tell the difference. I further doubt that the difference between 20 weight and 30 weight will cause any damage whatsoever.

Overthinking it here.

Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I really, really doubt that the dealer is going to be able to tell the difference. I further doubt that the difference between 20 weight and 30 weight will cause any damage whatsoever.

Overthinking it here.
Yep!

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
In 2018 in Australia we all got a letter and a new book saying 5W30. Been 5W30 since.
Fascinating! Can you show a picture of the letter?

I think I will do 5W-30. I don't think Ford will care. For one thing: it even says to use it if you're going to be hard on the engine (like during racing)... so they can't claim that they told you not to use it. I'll just say that I'm always hard on my car ;-)

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
I think I will do 5W-30. I don't think Ford will care. For one thing: it even says to use it if you're going to be hard on the engine (like during racing)... so they can't claim that they told you not to use it. I'll just say that I'm always hard on my car ;-)
Same here. I do flog mine quite often.

Sponsored

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
Hmmm I wonder if this is the reason my cold starts sound so horrible for the first few seconds.

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 SCION xB, 2019 Mustang Gt
Do you guys think it has something to do with the new cylinder deactivation on the 21' version of the gen 3?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
21’s have cylinder deactivation ... ?

My July 2020 build has the ‘20’ on the oil cap.

The online manual says the last update was 19.

WD :like:

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 SCION xB, 2019 Mustang Gt
I'm pretty sure the 21 F150 coyote does. Don't know about the mustang..
Sponsored