Sponsored

Wheels...baddest ones you've seen?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Made in the same factory or made by?

To the OP, here you have the baddest set of wheels on your car now. You have wheels that at one point in time were almost unobtainable. I believe they would run about 20k per wheel before Ford had them mass produced and made them more affordable.

One of the key performance features of the car is the carbon fiber wheel. And you want to downgrade to an aluminum wheel? Because of the color?

To each his own I guess, but IMHO you already have the baddest set of wheels on your car now.
The CF wheels are impractical for the reasons you just stated. They're impossible to replace at reasonable costs, near impossible to repair (and certainly not cheap there either) and you don't have to be a material scientist to know that CF does not do well in abrasion or impact loading.

I agree that CF technology pushed the state of art and if money were no object, I'd be rocking them. I could easily afford to buy a set, but what I couldn't stomach is damaging them and even my meager Signature wheels have chips and scars from what limited driving I do (I've never curbed them and yet they have minor rock spawling and typical road scars).

I love the Ford 7 spoke design, I think it's simple and elegant and lord knows it's way easier to clean than many of the other patterns I find appealing.

The stories about how bad roads are seem to be the same as how bad drivers are. Newsflash, roads and drivers are bad everywhere. But I can tell you in my area, there's days when I'm thankful I daily drive a 4Runner. And even then I grit my teeth and frown when hitting patches, manholes that aren't at the correct elevation (cause traffic doesn't allow to swerve around) different road section transitions that have excessive abrupt lippage, etc, etc. Daily driving any sets of wheels is brutal and I don't imagine most parts of the US are any different.

Point is, the CF wheels are awesome. They're just not practical. And as I understand it, they're getting harder and harder to source (in the used marketplace) and lord knows no one wants to pay retail to buy through Ford.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Can't beat Johnson 9s or the Bears

1667308200689.png

1667308258605.png

I hope I never find out there is a 3-piece Bear in the right size, offset and bolt pattern for my GT. I would have to frequently beat myself silly to avoid the huge mistake of ordering a set.

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Fully forged at cast prices and a gigantic variety of styles.
Can I ask where you got those wheels from? Casts/spun forged are in the $3-400 range, while anything that I'm looking at on the BC website is $1000+ so trying to get the same amazing deal that you got.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The CF wheels are impractical for the reasons you just stated. They're impossible to replace at reasonable costs, near impossible to repair (and certainly not cheap there either) and you don't have to be a material scientist to know that CF does not do well in abrasion or impact loading.

I agree that CF technology pushed the state of art and if money were no object, I'd be rocking them. I could easily afford to buy a set, but what I couldn't stomach is damaging them and even my meager Signature wheels have chips and scars from what limited driving I do (I've never curbed them and yet they have minor rock spawling and typical road scars).

I love the Ford 7 spoke design, I think it's simple and elegant and lord knows it's way easier to clean than many of the other patterns I find appealing.

The stories about how bad roads are seem to be the same as how bad drivers are. Newsflash, roads and drivers are bad everywhere. But I can tell you in my area, there's days when I'm thankful I daily drive a 4Runner. And even then I grit my teeth and frown when hitting patches, manholes that aren't at the correct elevation (cause traffic doesn't allow to swerve around) different road section transitions that have excessive abrupt lippage, etc, etc. Daily driving any sets of wheels is brutal and I don't imagine most parts of the US are any different.

Point is, the CF wheels are awesome. They're just not practical. And as I understand it, they're getting harder and harder to source (in the used marketplace) and lord knows no one wants to pay retail to buy through Ford.
I never said a lot of that. I buy and sell these wheels a lot. As a matter of fact, I am about to dump a full set of CFHP wheels. I have a bunch of wheels laying around my house and my garage. If you are patient and not too picky, you can buy these wheels here, eBay, and craigs list.

They are easy to fix yourself and if you can't do it, you can send them out. It is safe to say that they are easier to fix than aluminum wheels. You'd be surprised how bad a CF wheel can get messed up and still be repaired.

I don't get the whole aluminum over CF in the first place. If that was the case, I certainly would not have bought a CFTP or an R.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I never said a lot of that. I buy and sell these wheels a lot. As a matter of fact, I am about to dump a full set of CFHP wheels. I have a bunch of wheels laying around my house and my garage. If you are patient and not too picky, you can buy these wheels here, eBay, and craigs list.

They are easy to fix yourself and if you can't do it, you can send them out. It is safe to say that they are easier to fix than aluminum wheels. You'd be surprised how bad a CF wheel can get messed up and still be repaired.

I don't get the whole aluminum over CF in the first place. If that was the case, I certainly would not have bought a CFTP or an R.
I'm not a fan of trusting either my own or someone else's "repair" on items that rotate when contemplating high triple digit speeds. Reference the debates about whether to patch/repair Y rated tires. Could it work? Sure. The forces associated when spinning something at 160 mph travel speeds are pretty insane.

Realistically, you can burn through a set of high quality fully forged AL rims at twice the rate of the CF. And the AL rims just hold up better to daily abuse on the roadways, both structurally and cosmetically. Even if I was comfortable repairing CF, it's undeniable that using some touch up paint on whatever AL finish you have is easier and less risky than any sort of sanding and reapplying over the top of CF.

Hey, I'm not arguing with you. CF wheels are the shit. But at 2 or 3 lbs, and less than half the cost, you can get 90% of their effect for half price. Sure the CF are stiffer and a little lighter, but for the vast majority of drivers we'll never see/feel the difference. The jump from the heavy AF non-R wheels to a good set of forged AL wheels is most of the sauce.

In most tech centric items, there's diminishing marginal value as you climb from the bottom of the performance levels to the top. You can capture big increases at modest increases in price, but as you reach toward the top, you spend more and more $ to eek out those last few % of performance.

I'd be willing to fork over $10k on a set myself if they weren't so teacup fragile and repairing them wasn't a safety risk or extremely expensive (why do you think so many shops won't even touch those wheels and so few shops will repair them? The liability for something as high risk as the wheels isn't trivial.)

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
You have some assumptions that are completely incorrect about oem cf wheels. They are not tea cup fragile. They are are stonger when it comes to impacts(road) then an aluminum wheel as well. As for repairs, repairs on composites go back decades and properly done there is no diminished strength. As for comparing weights and if you can tell the difference you absolutely can. I have a set of BCforged(manufacturer for Signature) in R spec. There is still a very noticeable difference from those and the oem cf wheels. I won’t argue that they are expensive, because they are. But then again if you start moving up in to the multi-piece designs in forged that price disparity goes away pretty quick. The reality is if you damage any expensive wheel it sxcks regardless of the type of damage or manufacturer. One thing that you will not fix on a Bcforged or Signature wheel, or just about any manufacturer for comparisons sake is repairing the finish. That’s unless it’s a basic color. I can repair the R wheel finish to better then factory easily, and inexpensively. That said I wouldn’t go buy a set of cf wheels for my non R 350 unless I just wanted that oem look of the R. I also wouldn’t remove my cf wheels from my R to put a set of aluminum wheels on it unless I was doing it for a different type of tire and wanted the ease of swapping sets. Wheels are like jewelry, you can definitely tell the difference in quality.

I'm not a fan of trusting either my own or someone else's "repair" on items that rotate when contemplating high triple digit speeds. Reference the debates about whether to patch/repair Y rated tires. Could it work? Sure. The forces associated when spinning something at 160 mph travel speeds are pretty insane.

Realistically, you can burn through a set of high quality fully forged AL rims at twice the rate of the CF. And the AL rims just hold up better to daily abuse on the roadways, both structurally and cosmetically. Even if I was comfortable repairing CF, it's undeniable that using some touch up paint on whatever AL finish you have is easier and less risky than any sort of sanding and reapplying over the top of CF.

Hey, I'm not arguing with you. CF wheels are the shit. But at 2 or 3 lbs, and less than half the cost, you can get 90% of their effect for half price. Sure the CF are stiffer and a little lighter, but for the vast majority of drivers we'll never see/feel the difference. The jump from the heavy AF non-R wheels to a good set of forged AL wheels is most of the sauce.

In most tech centric items, there's diminishing marginal value as you climb from the bottom of the performance levels to the top. You can capture big increases at modest increases in price, but as you reach toward the top, you spend more and more $ to eek out those last few % of performance.

I'd be willing to fork over $10k on a set myself if they weren't so teacup fragile and repairing them wasn't a safety risk or extremely expensive (why do you think so many shops won't even touch those wheels and so few shops will repair them? The liability for something as high risk as the wheels isn't trivial.)

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The wheels I have repaired myself have time and time gain gone around the track at 180 until I hit the speed limiter. As said, these are not tea cup fragile. The kind of damage that cannot be repaired would be major cracks in the spoke or hub. The rest of it really is no issue.

So each of us has their own perception of what can't be fixed and what can be. And then there is reality. Later I will show you a pic of a wheel where the drum was destroyed. The seller wrote it off as a coffee table or conversation piece. Guess what...... its fixed. That one went out to spyder due the the EXTREME damage.

It's amazing what can be fixed on a CF wheel.

Some of my handy work has been quite amazing as well.

Chumley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350, '18 GOLF R, '09 BMW 335
When wheel shopping I looked at Signature and while I have no bad things to say about the wheels themselves their pricing was way beyond what I wanted to spend. I learned about BC and there is a far greater variety of styles and they came in at a significantly lower cost. Amazing value for fully forged wheels. I got mine from Paul @ PK Auto Design (no affiliation). I’d estimate he knows Mustang applications as well as anyone else and never gave me issues through two wheelset purchases.
Same here. Paul was great every step of the way and was certainly patient with all my questions. Absolutely love the BC wheels and throwing PS4s tires on them 305/315-20's gives it a great look and really makes street driving 100x time more enjoyable + saves the cups for the spirited runs or the track when if needed.

IMG_1891.jpg

Sponsored

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Its nice seeing something other than signature wheels…..they're getting so played out

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
That’s a pretty wheel. Have a better pic on the car?

Same here. Paul was great every step of the way and was certainly patient with all my questions. Absolutely love the BC wheels and throwing PS4s tires on them 305/315-20's gives it a great look and really makes street driving 100x time more enjoyable + saves the cups for the spirited runs or the track when if needed.

IMG_1891.jpg

OP
OP
ATB042

ATB042

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda S2000, GT350R KR717
Appreciating all the responses. Remember the actual original parameters...not black. I love the OEM CF wheel design but I am just done with all black wheels, especially with a dark colored car.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L