Sponsored

Wheels and tires for 680whp for the street

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
Shop tires first then look at wheel size.

Most of the good options in sticky drag radials are not in 19" size. I made this mistake myself, now I'm going from 19's to 20's in the back with some 888R's or 555R's

If you want 19's in the back i'd go with 19x11 and get some NT05R's in 305's
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic

Most of the good options in sticky drag radials are not in 19" size. I made this mistake myself, now I'm going from 19's to 20's in the back with some 888R's or 555R's

Good point.

I would also say the NT05R may not be optimal IF this is a dd. Getting caught in the rain with those would not be a good time. If it's a track car or just a toy this is a non issue.

Last edited:

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ah didn't realize they were sticking with those. Those came stock on the pp1 18+ (albeit not as wide) and broke lose even in stock form so I swapped them out pretty early.
Your stock 18+ spins the stock PS4S? I have them on my PP3 2016 GT making similar power and they hook pretty well.

Or are you talking about from a dig?

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
NT555R - Good tread life, pretty good in the rain considering it's a radial, no sway, and MIGHT keep your 2nd gear usable, depending on power adder, tire temp, psi, and gearing (might struggle with your TVS).

ET Street SS - Not that good tread life, not terrifying in the rain but definitely not good, sways (at least in my experience), and will almost definitely hook for most applications <700 whp on the street in 2nd gear or higher.

I think the R888R fall right in between there, but I've never actually owned a set. I own both sets of the aforementioned tires and they're at different ends of the drag radial spectrum. I have a dedicated drag pack running the ET Street SS (will be switching to R soon) and a daily 20" set running the NT555R.

It's a pick your poison scenario of you can only choose 1. NT555R will outperform almost all street tires while maintaining similarities of a street tire, but will not provide the same traction ability the MT series will provide.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Your stock 18+ spins the stock PS4S? I have them on my PP3 2016 GT making similar power and they hook pretty well.

Or are you talking about from a dig?
When I was stock and in track or drag mode yes. They were fine in normal mode but if I was in normal mode that also meant I wasn't getting on it lol.

erikkire18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Hellion TT
Get MT ET street R if possible, I bought nittos and then 2 weeks later bought MS and still didn't grip. So i got tired of buying and just went with a drag radial set up and skinnies up front. not my daily and doesnt really rain here that often
IMG_1924.JPG

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a

555R aren’t available in 19, but MT SS and R888R are. I’ve ran both on 19x10

lx347cd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT and 2003 Cobra
I run Nitto NT05R and MT ET Street R. I think the Street R are a bit better for traction.

Oxford_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So hopefully not a dumb question but everyone talks about what tire to run in the back, but if I'm not trying to run skinnies up front what do ppl do? Mix and match? I have 275/35/20 MPSS on all 4 corners and after putting a paxton on my car it spins even at 80+ mph and am shopping for new 20 inch rim tires.

Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
So hopefully not a dumb question but everyone talks about what tire to run in the back, but if I'm not trying to run skinnies up front what do ppl do? Mix and match? I have 275/35/20 MPSS on all 4 corners and after putting a paxton on my car it spins even at 80+ mph and am shopping for new 20 inch rim tires.
You're going to spin for sure on a street tire if you're making decent power. You'll need a drag radial to be able to stab the throttle. Most drag radials at minimum should have no spinning issues at 60+ mph. Some, like the Mickeys, will let you do 40+ mph WOT hits. 1st gear stuff is always going to be tough on a non prepped surface.

Also yes, you'll be fine without skinnies up front. Plenty of people run a radial out back and a normal street tire up front. Just keep your fronts and pick up a set of 305/35/20s in a drag radial for the rear (if your wheel can fit them of course), and you'll be ready to rock.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Woopaloop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10R80
Fat and sticky is your only
You're going to spin for sure on a street tire if you're making decent power. You'll need a drag radial for sure to be able to stab the throttle. Most drag radials at minimum should have no issues with spinning at 60+ mph. Some, like the Mickeys, will let you do 40+ mph throttle hits. 1st gear stuff is always going to be tough on a non prepped surface.

Also yes, you'll be fine without skinnies up front. Plenty of people run a radial out back and a normal street tire up front. Just keep your fronts and pick up a set of 305/35/20s in a drag radial for the rear (if your wheel can fit them of course), and you'll be ready to rock.
What size wheel do you need to fit these?

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
What size wheel do you need to fit these?
I think you'd need at least a 10" wheel, but I think the ideal fit is an 10.5-11" wide wheel to fit 305s.

I've heard people running 305s on the stock pp wheels (9.5"), but you'll have some severe tire bulge I think.

Oxford_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You're going to spin for sure on a street tire if you're making decent power. You'll need a drag radial to be able to stab the throttle. Most drag radials at minimum should have no spinning issues at 60+ mph. Some, like the Mickeys, will let you do 40+ mph WOT hits. 1st gear stuff is always going to be tough on a non prepped surface.

thanks for the useful information, I'm still on the stock foundry wheels so 305s won't fit the back but i'll explore my options.

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
thanks for the useful information, I'm still on the stock foundry wheels so 305s won't fit the back but i'll explore my options.
I’ve got a buddy with MT SS 305/35R19 on his stock 9.5 PP wheels. Looks and works great. Lots of guys running 305 on 17x9.5 Racestars. If you’re not worried about the fronts/rears matching, I would grab a set of 17X10.5 Racestars and some 305/45 DR. You’ll be good to go
Sponsored