Sponsored

Wheel spacers for track duty

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Hello all. Looking to do some BMR SP080 springs and some wheel spacers, maybe 15mm or so, nothing crazy (PP car with stock wheels). I do plan on taking the car to the track and don't have a lot of experience with spacers and the road course, safe or no?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all. Looking to do some BMR SP080 springs and some wheel spacers, maybe 15mm or so, nothing crazy (PP car with stock wheels). I do plan on taking the car to the track and don't have a lot of experience with spacers and the road course, safe or no?
Hubcentric adapters and spacers are safe. For the adapters, you'll need to do at least 23 mm with the stock wheels, or drill and make the wheel pocket deeper. The studs will interfere otherwise. Or you can press out all the studs with longer ARP ones and run just a spacer of whichever thickness you like.

No safety issue provided its hubcentric. The loads on the wheel bearings increase, though, so they'll have their life shortened a little.

BigBoss5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP Premium
Hubcentric adapters and spacers are safe. For the adapters, you'll need to do at least 23 mm with the stock wheels, or drill and make the wheel pocket deeper. The studs will interfere otherwise. Or you can press out all the studs with longer ARP ones and run just a spacer of whichever thickness you like.

No safety issue provided its hubcentric. The loads on the wheel bearings increase, though, so they'll have their life shortened a little.
How are these for the track? They are Hubcentric and already have studs.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/wheel-s...black-pair-v6-ecoboost-gt-2015-2017/p/WHSP19/

OP
OP

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
So, I'm guessing 23mm will work fine with everything and not rub or anything like that?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OKC S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black PP GT

This. I did 8 track days with PP wheels and 25mm hubcentric bolt on spacers. I now have arp studs and use a 20mm slip on spacer in the front to clear wider wheels/tires. I would recommend checking the torque of the spacers before and after each track day.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Bolt on spacers are weaker than bolt through spacers.

And it makes checking the lug torque between sessions almost impossible (have to pull the wheels to check the spacer lug nuts, then put the wheels back on and re tighten them).

Personally I would never run them on a road course.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This. I did 8 track days with PP wheels and 25mm hubcentric bolt on spacers. I now have arp studs and use a 20mm slip on spacer in the front to clear wider wheels/tires. I would recommend checking the torque of the spacers before and after each track day.
This. I would recommend ARP studs and non-adapter type spacers for the most robust method, but the adapters do work well. You need to scrutinize the hardware selection of them, though, to make sure the studs are not some cheap crap.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Spacers are illegal in some parts of the world, where I come from a car cannot pass inspection if it has spacers of any kind installed. Not that anyone's checking, other than when a car goes through safety check when ownership is transferred. But we do live in what is politely known as the nanny state to end all nanny states.

Bolt on spacers are weaker than bolt through spacers.

And it makes checking the lug torque between sessions almost impossible (have to pull the wheels to check the spacer lug nuts, then put the wheels back on and re tighten them).

Personally I would never run them on a road course.

OP
OP

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I suppose I could take them off at the road course, its not that difficult. I just think the car will look so much better with them on.
Sponsored