Wheel and tire guidance please

slick_rick_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
18’ GT350
Hello fellow mustang lovers it's another one of those threads. I asked nicely though so help me understand. I've never really been into cars like I have been the past few years (my career and hobby time was invested into IT and electronics) so I'm still learning new things everyday. I've had my 19 GT BASE model (that's non-performance pack anything) for over a year now and one of things I'm looking into is a better set of wheels and tires.

Let's get to it. Here's what I'm looking at:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/black-2013gt500-19x85-2015.html

I have the base 235/50R18's that came on with the vehicle (I want 19's) and after looking at the linked wheels I'm unsure of the where or what the x8.5 means. Additionally its suggesting I add 255/40R19 WITH 19x8's all around or a staggered setup with a different specification for the rear set. I'm just lost at this point and either I'm not searching for the right criteria for my answer or I really just don't understand wheel and tires. I'd appreciate any insight you all can give.
Sponsored

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
I have a 2019 GT Premium and added LMR SP2 wheels, all 10.5 inches wide with 285-35R-19 tires all around so I can rotate them. They don't rub and the car doesn't tram unless the road is really bad. Mostly not.

I ran staggered setups for years and I have been on many road course tracks. My car handles as well as the Mustangs handle and the tries don't get beat up by lack of rotation.

I like the staggered look, but a square setup for a car that spends 99% of its time on the street works MUCH better, at least for me.

Cheers.

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
The 8.5 you mention is wheel width. This video will help visualize what offset is and from there how it relates to width. It also covers some basics for what fits this car, but is not a complete guideline.

Having the base wheels and wanting to change, what are you wanting out of the upgrade? Looks? Performance? Both? Knowing that will help with recommendations. Budget does too.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I have a 2019 GT Premium and added LMR SP2 wheels, all 10.5 inches wide with 285-35R-19 tires all around so I can rotate them. They don't rub and the car doesn't tram unless the road is really bad. Mostly not.

I ran staggered setups for years and I have been on many road course tracks. My car handles as well as the Mustangs handle and the tries don't get beat up by lack of rotation.

I like the staggered look, but a square setup for a car that spends 99% of its time on the street works MUCH better, at least for me.

Cheers.
SVE makes a 10.5" SP2 wheel...news to me. Are you sure they aren't 10" wide?

OP
OP
slick_rick_

slick_rick_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
18’ GT350
The 8.5 you mention is wheel width. This video will help visualize what offset is and from there how it relates to width. It also covers some basics for what fits this car, but is not a complete guideline.

Having the base wheels and wanting to change, what are you wanting out of the upgrade? Looks? Performance? Both? Knowing that will help with recommendations. Budget does too.
Thanks for the video link. I don’t plan on doing any track usage so mostly just looks, so I’m thinking for everyday use a squared setup would better? I’m not really on a budget as well.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Hello fellow mustang lovers it's another one of those threads. I asked nicely though so help me understand. I've never really been into cars like I have been the past few years (my career and hobby time was invested into IT and electronics) so I'm still learning new things everyday. I've had my 19 GT BASE model (that's non-performance pack anything) for over a year now and one of things I'm looking into is a better set of wheels and tires.

Let's get to it. Here's what I'm looking at:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/black-2013gt500-19x85-2015.html

I have the base 235/50R18's that came on with the vehicle (I want 19's) and after looking at the linked wheels I'm unsure of the where or what the x8.5 means. Additionally its suggesting I add 255/40R19 WITH 19x8's all around or a staggered setup with a different specification for the rear set. I'm just lost at this point and either I'm not searching for the right criteria for my answer or I really just don't understand wheel and tires. I'd appreciate any insight you all can give.

I would pass on those wheels. For about $50 more per wheel you can get a high quality wheel from LMR by SVE which are flow formed. That means lighter, and just as durable as OEM wheels in a proper offset and width. Also a 255width tire should probably have at least an 8.5" wheel but preferably a 9" wide wheel. If you notice the website you provided they even say a 245/45/19 would be the best choice for that wheel. The S550 Mustang is a big car and weighs a lot. I would go with the widest setup you can go. If you want to keep it so you can rotate I would go with a 19X10 with a 285/35/19 tire on all 4 corners. Buy once, cry once.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slick_rick_

slick_rick_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
18’ GT350
I would pass on those wheels. For about $50 more per wheel you can get a high quality wheel from LMR by SVE which are flow formed. That means ligher, and just as durable as OEM wheels in a proper offset and width. Also a 255width tire should probably have at least an 8.5" wheel but preferably a 9" wide wheel. If you notice the website you provided they even say a 245/45/19 would be the best choice for that wheel. The S550 Mustang is a big car and weighs a lot. I would go with the widest setup you can go. If you want to keep it so you can rotate I would go with a 19X10 with a 285/35/19 tire on all 4 corners. Buy once, cry once.
Much appreciated sir, definitely looking into SVE's now.
Sponsored