Sponsored

What's the first weak link of the 2018 mustang gt?

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
What's the first part to fail from making more than stock power? Is it the clutch or axles? Is it the oil pump gear?

I see 3 possible items I need to replace before adding forced induction so I am just trying to get those out of the way.

It seems the stock clutch is good to about 500whp, is this true?

The axles seem to break on stock power cars that have drag radials.

The oil pump gear doesn't sound like an issue for previous coyote motors until 600whp. I could see the gear getting stressed if the RATE of its pump RATE is increased dramatically due to extra HP making the motor increase in RPMs faster under load, but wouldn't this mean free-revving the motor would be the hardest on the oil-pump gear no matter what the power output is? That makes me think this needs to be changed ASAP.
Sponsored

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
The clutch should be fine on 2018s considering its a twin disk. However, it may be too early to tell how the new clutch handles more power. WTQ kills clutches not WHP. The 5.0 Coyote Mustangs won't be super torquey even at 600WHP.

I don't know if the oil pump gear has been revised or not.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
If replacing the half shafts on an A10 car that will have a whipple , will the 800 DSS shafts do ?
I have them on my 15 /A6 Hellion car and had thought it was a waste since there are several low 1.4x 60 ft A6 cars still on the stock ones .

I know the A10 has been snapping the stock axles even stock with a sticky tire. The "2000 hp" ones are only $200 more but every little helps (could use that on CB005) . Lol

Probably not worth the labor to take them off my Hellion car and it nice to have the "insurance"

Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
twin disk is good but the duel mass fly wheel is a errrrt.. its not going to handle more then 100 hp over stock for long .. i hate that they went duel mass. there heavy as hell, there only good for getting rid of vibration.and they make daily driving alot easier.. as for power they take a shit when you start adding it.. unless these are going to be diff from other dmfw ive had.

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The first thing I did with my 18 GT PP1 with the A10 was swap out the wheels and tires. I went with SVE S350 19"x10"/11"

A few reasons why:

1) More grip;
2) Weight savings of about 10lbs/wheel
3) In the Motortrend Head2Head the Mustang had the clear straight line speed advantage but was also clearly lacking grip. The Camaro had much wider wheels and tires.

This seemed to be the logical first fix for me and the car is a beast now. My next performance mod will be M-5300-W Ford Performance GT350 lowering springs for cars with Magneride. I have them but just waiting for the weather to get nice before I drop it lower to the ground

[/url]IMG_8799 by Justin Brown, on Flickr[/IMG]

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Half shafts
Clutch

Oil Pump Gear could fail stock or modded so that is the "wild card" of every Mustang.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
The first thing I did with my 18 GT PP1 with the A10 was swap out the wheels and tires. I went with SVE S350 19"x10"/11"

A few reasons why:

1) More grip;
3) In the Motortrend Head2Head the Mustang had the clear straight line speed advantage but was also clearly lacking grip. The Camaro had much wider wheels and tires.

This seemed to be the logical first fix for me and the car is a beast now. My next performance mod will be M-5300-W Ford Performance GT350 lowering springs for cars with Magneride. I have them but just waiting for the weather to get nice before I drop it lower to the ground

Looks good ! What tires ? It's hard to see but are the fronts still tucked in like the stock wheels (I have tried 20 mm spacers all round but they don't work with the PP wheels - have a horrible wobble )
I just ordered a set of 19x10 SVE's to use with the Ps4's (really like them).I also have ET SS 305/35's mounted on pair of the 19x11 MRR version I picked up for cheap awhile back ($300 for the pair !).
I will swap them out for the strip so I can daily drive on the PS4's although not sure if they will have traction once the whipple goes on.
I have the FP springs on my GT 350 and the drop was minimal so I am trying the Eibach(GT 350 specific ) which have a bit more of drop/rake (0.9f and 0.7r ).

Any plans for halfshafts and if so which ones?

Sponsored

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP (Magnetic Metallic)

A few reasons why:

1) More grip;

Now that's sweet! How about those tires? What brand and size? Love the look.

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Now that's sweet! How about those tires? What brand and size? Love the look.
Thanks!

The tires are Michelin Pilot Super Sports 305/35/19 rear and 285/35/19 front

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good ! What tires ? It's hard to see but are the fronts still tucked in like the stock wheels (I have tried 20 mm spacers all round but they don't work with the PP wheels - have a horrible wobble )
I just ordered a set of 19x10 SVE's to use with the Ps4's (really like them).I also have ET SS 305/35's mounted on pair of the 19x11 MRR version I picked up for cheap awhile back ($300 for the pair !).
I will swap them out for the strip so I can daily drive on the PS4's although not sure if they will have traction once the whipple goes on.
I have the FP springs on my GT 350 and the drop was minimal so I am trying the Eibach(GT 350 specific ) which have a bit more of drop/rake (0.9f and 0.7r ).

Any plans for halfshafts and if so which ones?
Thanks!

The tires are Michelin Pilot Super Sports 305/35/19 rear and 285/35/19 front. No need for spacers they line up perfectly.

I have a Cervinis upper front grille that I need to install as well but it isn't performance based.

I'm waiting for the 2018 version of the Ford Performance power pack 2 throttle body and CAI

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks
Any plans for half shafts /cradle lock outs ?

gmlt1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Fast street cars

A few reasons why:

1) More grip;

?
[/URL]IMG_8799 by Justin Brown, on Flickr[/IMG]
Motor trend comments on the wider tires hurting the high speed straight line test for the camaro on the dirt loose surface.
Sponsored