Sponsored

What's In DFB's Cabinet?

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
Rupes polishes are top notch for sure. The Uno Protect has "Protection" in it as implied. It is a carnuba based protection as I understand. They also make an advanced version, that is more Si02 based. I have the advanced version and love it, have used on one car so far for a family member that needed some minor correction but didn't want full on ceramic. Nice one step polish. If you want a strict polish, the Uno Pure is only abrasive and doesn't leave behind protection.
Thats great info. I want to stick with the Collinite 845 for my wax so the Uno Pure would probably make more sense.

Having newer vehicles i havnt had a need for a polish or compond for corrections.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Yet another very interesting and fact filled post, D! I LOVED the "story factor" but it was blatantly obvious that Falcon is in your DNA. <smile>

I had no idea that any OEM ever used plastic tanks! Were there any issues with it and, did they continue with that tank with future models?
Back when they were developing the XD Falcon for 1979 release, the oil crisis meant Ford were faced with the prospect of downsizing the Falcon or making it as fuel efficient as they could. Ford chose the later, a huge gamble that ended up paying off. Holden went the downsizing route and lost a lot of ground, Ford actually stole market leadership from Holden for most the 1980's, buyers still wanted a full sized car. (Keep in mind Falcon by that stage was significantly bigger than the car it started out as.) In actual fact, the downsized Holden used as much or more fuel when compared to the full-sized Falcon.

Back to the fuel tank, this was done to save weight. In fact, Ford setup a new factory to produce a range of new plastic parts that took place of steel and chrome parts used in the previous model. The plastic fuel tank was extensively tested, there is old footage floating around of them dropping it full of liquid from great heights during testing. The plastic fuel tank was pioneered in Australia. I'm pretty sure all automotive fuel tanks would be plastic now.

Oh, and all of that info is direct from my brain, no reference required. I could easily write a book on it.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Hey D Iā€™m wondering what your opinion is on the Holden Monaro? I believe itā€™s more or less the same car as the last gen Pontiac GTO was here in the US.
Ok, some context.

In Australia, you were either a Ford man or a Holden man. The exception to that was if you were one of those freaks who was into Chrysler/Valiant products, and very few were Ford/Holden fluid. In other words, you were one or the other. It's hard to put words to this, but the rivalry between the two brands was fierce, be that between the companies themselves, or the customers. Both on the road and on the track. This rivalry was far beyond the Chev vs Ford you guys had/have, as I said, its hard to put words to. And I was part of that rivalry. I say was.

I think now that the factories have closed, and now that GM has killed the Holden brand entirely (a shameful display that even angers me), the rivalry has cooled to be more of a mutual understanding of what we have lost.

Having said all of that, the Monaro is the exception to the "rule" for me. As a Ford man, the Monaro would be the only Holden I would cross the divide for. That gorgeous rear three quarter view is so well executed, not overt like the Mustang, but so smooth and subtle. I know US customers didn't like the initial restrained styling, but that was the whole point of the Monaro, it was all about perfectly executed proportions. (The Monaro was designed by Aussie Mike Simcoe, who is now the head of GM design, his influence can be seen in a lot of the Cadillac range with the perfect proportions and short overhangs, his stylistic signature.)Throw in a fantastic colour palate and stonking big V8, what was not to love?

v2mon101.jpg

hsvc4.jpg

I will say though, the Monaro's underpinnings were pretty archaic, kinda like a sledgehammer, effective but a little brutal. This was before Holden designed their ground-up new platform, which you guys sampled with the Pontiac G8, Chevy SS and the later previous gen Camaro.

Holden never officially intended to put the Monaro into production, but the 1998 concept garnered so much attention that they were basically goaded into making it. Bob Lutz ended up taking a liking to what Holden was doing and then insisted it be made in LHD for the US market. Holden never intended to make money on the Monaro either, it's development was officially funded by the marketing department and was going to be a bit of publicity vehicle for the brand. They ended up making far more of them than they ever thought, both for the Australian market alone, but the exports won them many fans within the GM management.

During this era, Ford actually imported the Mustang and converted them for right-hand-drive to compete with the Monaro. Only the top spec Cobra Coupe and Convertible were imported. Sales were limited owning to the expensive price, about $25,000 more than a Monaro, interior presentation and quality was terrible, and apparently the lack of high-speed stability was terrifying. The DOHC 4.6 V8 was universally praised.

mc.jpg

mc4.jpg

mc3.jpg

fmc101.jpg

So yes, I know a bit about the Monaro. :wink:

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
What is the go to polish? Anyone try the Uno Protect?
I've used Uno Protect and liked it. However, because its an all-in-one polish and protectant, its use case leans towards a professional detailer wanting to knock out quick paint enhancement services.

I have a thread on polishing compounds here -

Compounds & Polishes ā€“ The Path to Shiny Paint! | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

I tend to prefer a polish to be a polish rather than the multipurpose product like Uno Protect. In which case, I would lean towards Carpro Reflect for light polishing/gloss enhancement, Rupes DA Fine (yellow bottle) for fine to moderate polishing, and either Scholl S20 Black or Sonax Perfect Finish for moderate level cutting and polishing. If needed, step up to Sonax Cutmax or Rupes DA Coarse for more cutting performance, you would need to follow with a finishing polish afterwards though.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
This rivalry was far beyond the Chev vs Ford you guys had/have, as I said, its hard to put words to.
That was quite a statement, D considering how evident the opinions are of owners here, today. The rivalry must have been quite something for the Down Under folks back then.

(The Monaro was designed by Aussie Mike Simcoe, who is now the head of GM design, his influence can be seen in a lot of the Cadillac range with the perfect proportions and short overhangs, his stylistic signature.)
VERY interesting facts, amigo, and I DO love the looks of the Monaro. After reading your comment about Lutz and Cadillac, I immediately saw what you were talking about.

Based on what you said, It's certainly not a coincidence that these two vehicles have very similar lines.

1716814401569-7e.png

1716814318268-tz.png

This was before Holden designed their ground-up new platform, which you guys sampled with the Pontiac G8, Chevy SS and the later previous gen Camaro.
More facts I never knew but pretty amazing nonetheless, thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Well, winter is here early this year. The cold morning made it very difficult to hoist myself out of bed on my day off, to the point where I overslept and got up feeling like death. But, I had the Mustang to wash, an excellent reason to get motived.

IMG-0378.jpg

As always, wheels and tyres first. In this case, after an initial rinse, I applied NV Purge to the wheel, then used Shine Supply Wise Guy to scrub the tyres. I then foamed Carpro Reset over the top of Purge for the contact wash. Rinsed, I applied another layer of Hydr02 and some Hydes's to the rotors.

This was my first try of the new TRC Ultra Wool Mitt, specifically designed for ergonomic cleaning of wheels. Compared to the FlexiPad wool mitts I have used in the past, the sewn boarder around the cuff makes finding the opening much easier (insert rude remark here).

The Rag Company Ultra Wool Wheel Mitt (2 Pack) (detailingshed.com.au)

IMG-0371.jpg

IMG-0369.jpg

IMG-0382.jpg

IMG-0384.jpg

Drying the car, I used another new-to-me product, Gyeon Quick Detailer.

Gyeon Q2M Quick Detailer (400ml/1L) | Detailing Shed

IMG-0387.jpg

My initial impressions were of it being a bit streaky and needed more towel work to level than other quick detailers, almost like it had wax in it. Researching it just now, it does in fact have wax within the formulation..............

"The Carnauba-based detailer is completely safe on coatings as well as on traditional waxes. Simply spray on and wipe."

So, my instincts were correct. Trying so many products, you notice patterns after a while. Such as all bug removers smelling the same, leading me to believe they all share a similar chemistry. Or how a surfactant-based rinse-less wash feels "stickier" (for lack of a better term) than a polymer-based rinse-less. And in this case, how a carnauba spray wax behaves during the wipe off. That doesn't mean I hate Gyeon Quick Detailer, like any product with wax in it, the gloss and slickness left behind is unmistakable.

It's at this point I discovered a distraction, and not of the good kind.............................................

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Last week I had the Mustang serviced at my Ford dealer. You may remember me having a moan about them forgetting to stamp the service book and the collection of greasy fingerprints all over the hood, doors, fenders and interior..............................

The service tech told me that he couldn't find it, that he "looked everywhere" for it. I then pointed to the books in their black Ford branded cover sitting on the passenger seat and mentioned that I put them there because they are usually hidden in the above compartment. Let's just hope that's the only thing he didn't pay attention to.

Other than the page long list of "checks" that they carry out, the only physical thing they did was change the oil and oil filter, install a new pollen filter and road test.
After seeing a couple of posts on the matter, after wiping down the engine bay I decided to check the battery, which is hidden under a plastic trim panel (example shown below).

IMG-E2024.jpg

What I found was not pretty................................

IMG-0390.jpg

This is apparently common on Mustang's, I have seen them worse than above. And because the battery is hidden, it's not picked up on even though I have the hood open after each wash. But..............................

The invoice for the service states "Inspected Battery Conditionā€. The fancy report they sent me after the service has a specific section labeled ā€œBattery Condition, Performance & Terminalsā€, had the battery cover been removed, it would not have passed that section with a green tick. All to the tune of $540. But good news, I did get another useless satchel detergent added to the windscreen washer reservoir.

Screenshot2-229.jpg

I have emailed the dealer with a please explain, along with images of the battery and the invoice/service report stating that they had inspected the battery. To be clear, I would have happily paid for them to repair/replace what was needed here. I'm annoyed that I pay a premium to continue servicing cars within the Ford dealer network, I expect better.

I have since cleaned off the corrosion and applied some Vasoline to the terminal. I have ordered a new negative terminal as the original looks nasty, which I'll have swapped out with a new battery when I have more time next week. (The battery is the 2016 factory original, so its time.) I'll also have to get some terminal protector.

So, public service announcement - if you have a S550 Mustang, be sure to take a peek under the battery cover every now and then.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Battery Update -

Ok, let me state that my email to the dealer yesterday was pointed, but polite. I did not want to raise hell with them, there are a few within the service department that have been there long enough now that I value their friendliness and candor.

I was contacted by the head service advisor this afternoon; she knows me, how particular I am and how many vehicles I put through their dealership each year. Actually, that's the first thing she said. She couldn't have been more apologetic, I actually apologized myself, stressing I didn't want to get anyone in trouble. She then explained that they would rather the feedback so that they can improve and educate. Apparently, the Tech was spoken to, in particular that you just can't tick boxes and not actually make those checks.

A couple of things to note, the battery is the 2016 original. It had been cranking slower, especially now that winter is here. That could also have been because of the buildup of sulfation. I also note after some research, this is a common occurrence on Mustang's. It was due for a new battery anyway, and this has forced my hand.

I mention that because the dealer has offered to replace the battery and the destroyed terminal free of charge. I did not expect this and considering that a new battery and terminal would see little change from $300, this is a generous peacemaker. I'm just waiting for her to contact me on availability of an OEM battery, but she said she would have it done for me ASAP.

As I said, this was not the outcome I was expecting. I had the battery terminal on order from the parts department and was going to have my normal battery guy change it all out for me. I also know as a business owner, they have now not made any money on that service, but I guess that rests in the hands of the Tech not me.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Battery Update -

Ok, let me state that my email to the dealer yesterday was pointed, but polite. I did not want to raise hell with them, there are a few within the service department that have been there long enough now that I value their friendliness and candor.

I was contacted by the head service advisor this afternoon; she knows me, how particular I am and how many vehicles I put through their dealership each year. Actually, that's the first thing she said. She couldn't have been more apologetic, I actually apologized myself, stressing I didn't want to get anyone in trouble. She then explained that they would rather the feedback so that they can improve and educate. Apparently, the Tech was spoken to, in particular that you just can't tick boxes and not actually make those checks.

A couple of things to note, the battery is the 2016 original. It had been cranking slower, especially now that winter is here. That could also have been because of the buildup of sulfation. I also note after some research, this is a common occurrence on Mustang's. It was due for a new battery anyway, and this has forced my hand.

I mention that because the dealer has offered to replace the battery and the destroyed terminal free of charge. I did not expect this and considering that a new battery and terminal would see little change from $300, this is a generous peacemaker. I'm just waiting for her to contact me on availability of an OEM battery, but she said she would have it done for me ASAP.

As I said, this was not the outcome I was expecting. I had the battery terminal on order from the parts department and was going to have my normal battery guy change it all out for me. I also know as a business owner, they have now not made any money on that service, but I guess that rests in the hands of the Tech not me.
Great outcome. Sometimes a pointed email to the right person pays off :) especially if you are a valued customer. I had a VW dealer back home I bought 8 new cars in 12 years from. They jumped thru hoops for me over the years, so they continued to earn my business :) . Sold my last VW a couple years ago, I kinda miss it :(

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
But, I had the Mustang to wash, an excellent reason to get motived.
I'll bet there are plenty of members here who understand that statement, D. <smile>
Compared to the FlexiPad wool mitts I have used in the past, the sewn boarder around the cuff makes finding the opening much easier (insert rude remark here).
Well, you've caused yet another "spend or not to spend" moment for me, should I put an Omni, Omni VOR magic curse on you? <BSEG>

I bet I spend a total of five minutes or longer trying to find that damn opening in the OG mitt while doing wheels and it not only pisses me off every time but, after learning about the RC mitt from you, while giving Sarah a bath the other day, my frustrated brain told me to throw it in the trash!

Problem is, the other half thinks I spend too much on "car chidt" and most of the time, I try to keep her happy. <laughing> But odds are, the NEXT time I reach in for the mit and spend another thirty seconds rotating the damn thing in my hand while I try to find that GD opening, I'll wind up ordering one. <grin>

Thanks..I think! ;=)

So, my instincts were correct. Trying so many products, you notice patterns after a while.
That extensive experience is a distinct advantage over the rest of us, D AND, that wide experience is what makes you such a valuable source of information for us. I for one can't thank you enough for it. You ARE The Man!

All to the tune of $540. But good news, I did get another useless satchel detergent added to the windscreen washer reservoir.
I laughed and laughed over that (but I wasn't going to mention the chuckle until I read that Ford did you a solid.) <smile>

I'm annoyed that I pay a premium to continue servicing cars within the Ford dealer network, I expect better.
Don't we all, right?

I mention that because the dealer has offered to replace the battery and the destroyed terminal free of charge.
While not anywhere near the norm, that service department gets high marks in my book and no doubt in yours as well. I also realize that three hundred bones is a drop in the bucket compared to what they take in on a single day but, for them to cough up a new battery and the labor cost to install it was IMO, way beyond what I would have expected, as you said. That's a very squared away and very smart, service manager, I hope they keep her.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Sweet 16..........................

61.jpg

Although I didn't take delivery until early June, the XR6 turned 16-years-old today. I would ask where those 16-years went, but it certainly feels like a lifetime ago now. Being an extremely early build, I was one of the first to have an FG Falcon on the road. I was 21-years old at the time, a brand-new Falcon at that age was quite the feat. My only regret? Not getting the Turbo, but I was stretching myself as it was even paying the extra $1000 for the optional 18-inch wheels!

Despite it being so long ago now, I still remember so many little snippets from that time.

- Ordering. I bought this car at Bink's Ford when they were still in Footscray. (This dealership was straight out of the 1970's, think plastic colored streamers and fake wood everywhere.) The salesman we had dealt with when buying my sisters Focus, he was a bit of a character and we sort of clicked. This would be my first drive of an FG, a Silhouette Black XR6 with the 5-speed auto and the red cloth trim. I remember being a bit sad that my chosen spec wasn't within their system, so the car had to be factory ordered. I would go on to call them back in hour to add those 18-inch wheels, I just did not want those hideous 17-inch things.

- The Ming Mole! That day would my first encounter with this creature, and she did a great job trying to guilt me into buying paint protection. I had my father with me that day, his assessment was as dry witted as always, "you don't need that shit". I didn't get the paint protection!

- I remember being phoned to say that there was a minor blemish on the rear bumper and that Ford had instructed them to hold the car back. Ford were on a bit of a quality control blitz for the FG, and quite rightly so. They ended up fixing it at the dealer pre-delivery.

- Delivery day. I remember having to be insistent on picking up the car on a Saturday, a day usually reserved purely for selling. When he was told that I would be waiting at the door before they even opened, he finally agreed. Again, Dad was with me, we drove to the train station in Seymour on the Friday night, then got the train into Melbourne, staying at the ritzy Radisson Hotel on Flagstaff Gardens for the night. I didn't sleep! šŸ˜‘

- As the salesman brought the car around into the delivery area, I think my Dad had a heart attack on my behalf. When he saw the car, he thought that they had got the colour wrong. There were three blues for the FG Falcon, Steel (a darkish blue), Nitro (electric blue) and Sensation (goldilocks, the perfect shade of Ford Corporate Blue). He thought it was supposed to be Steel. He came back down to earth as I assured him that it was indeed the correct colour, my smile said it all. šŸ˜€

- Handover. The salesman made a point of telling me to NOT touch anything in the engine bay unless it was painted yellow! (ie the dipstick and windscreen washer fluid). I get the feeling his typical clientele were not mechanically minded. :giggle:

- The drive home. I remember being so bloody nervous trying to navigate the car out of the concrete jungle of Melbourne. GET ME OUT OF HERE! This was also the first time I had driven the brilliance that is the ZF 6-speed, a revelation coming from the moonshot gearing of the old BTR 4-speed. And no diff whine!.........a long term Falcon trait.

- I also remember turning heads as I drove out of the train station to drop my father off. That was first time I had experienced that sort of thing with a car, I guess driving a burgundy AU III Fairmont for 3 years would explain that! :giggle:

- After taking my grandmother for a drive in it, from then on she called it "The Blue Rocket". So do I. šŸ

- Despite Ford's quality drive during the initial FG launch, there were a couple of niggles that appeared later on. The driver's door latch was poorly aligned and caused the door to rattle over bumps, and the A/C system needed to be re-gassed at the 3000 km inspection. I also ended up with a leaky timing cover, which was common for the first FG's as Ford used the wrong bolts or something to that effect. That appeared a couple of years down the track.

- Wedding car duty for my favorite cousin, can you spot the odd one out? I also got to drive that GT, which was on loan from the Ford dealer (my uncle was the spare parts manager). Those bloody ribbons ended up marring the hood. šŸ˜•

APR-2011-10.jpg

While the XR6 doesn't do many km's now, I daily drove it for two years before getting a workhorse Ranger. I've driven it far and wide though, the trips to Merimbula via the Snowy Mountains Highway (think Tail of the Dragon) was always fun, the car at home soaking up highway kms, then traversing the winding mountain roads with ease. It's even been to Bathurst.

XR6-10-1.jpg
bhn.jpg
bhm.jpg

IMG-E4938.jpg

IMG-0378.jpg

IMG-1082.jpg

jj.jpg

jjj.jpg

fgo103.jpg

Back at its birthplace, Broadmeadows Assembly Plant (now demolished) circa 2011.....................

z518.jpg

z516.jpg

z517.jpg

I also have a verification letter from Ford and the screenshot of the build page, both no longer available it would seem.

Note the build sheet states I had 17-inch wheels, I wonder if the wheels were dealer fit or this was a typo in the system. Also note the dealer location being Deere Park, Bink's Ford had moved to a brand-new facility in about 2011, the old Footscray facility became service only.

Screenshot-221.png

Notice how Ford referred to the ZF gearbox as "Steptronic", not a term used by Ford officially for that gearbox, I assume this is carry over terminology from BMW. I also note that the 18-inch Y-Spoke wheels are called "style 3".

Screenshot-231.png

So, what does the future hold for this vehicle? Having spent some money on it last year, refreshing a few things and upgrading the brakes, I'm content to leave the car how it sits. I have said this many times, I don't "need" this car, haven't done for a long time now. But I "need" to keep it, I just can't bring myself to sell it. Had it been a Turbo, I would be sitting on a goldmine with the condition and low km's. But that's not the point. The above is only a snapshot of my ownership experience with this car. Here's to another 16.................

IMG-E8310.jpg

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I know it's not much, D but, I wanted to try to repay you for all your incredibly useful information you provide for all of us. That's an impossible task but I hope this image puts a smile on your face. :=)

It's sized for a 3/2 print at 30"x20" in case you elect to have it printed poster size.

dfb-xr6-comp-flattened.jpg

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I know it's not much, D but, I wanted to try to repay you for all your incredibly useful information you provide for all of us. That's an impossible task but I hope this image puts a smile on your face. :=)

It's sized for a 3/2 print at 30"x20" in case you elect to have it printed poster size.

dfb-xr6-comp-flattened.jpg
More than a smile, I love it! šŸ˜