DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Deyon,
great thread...you're still my detailing hero 😀
You need to get your own You Tube channel and start doing this full time!
Best Regards,
Bob
Hero? I hope I can live up to that tag!
Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
So I came into this section of the forum and went looking for this thread only to realize it had been pinned to the top. :blush:

A box of goodies arrived for me today. :rockon:

IMG_3002.jpg

This is actually two orders, with a couple of items on backorder holding the first one up. I'm still waiting for those items to arrive in stock, both of which I'm looking forward to using.

Koch Chemie Motorplast has been on my hitlist for a while but it had been out of stock across all Australian distributors for months. When it arrived back in stock, it didn't last long. This product is similar in concept to Meguiar's Hyper dressing, in that it can be applied to a wet engine bay and left to self level. It smells pretty good too.

IMG_3006.jpg

Optimum Car Wax has also been on the hit list, mainly just out of curiosity. As a standalone, it can last 6 months. I will perhaps be using it as a drying aid.

IMG_3008.jpg

The Rag Company VLB is another take on a leather cleaning brush. This will only be used on customer cars.

IMG_3003.jpg

IMG_3005.jpg

This Maxshine Detailing Belt should come in handy for improving efficiency when I do customer cars.

IMG_3010.jpg

The towels are for glass, medium The Rag Company Dry-Me-A-River JR.

And the gloves get used for both detailing and gardening/nursery work. I hate wet, dirty hands in winter so these nitrile gloves always come in handy.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I have wizards wipe and shine for a waterless spot clean. Have you ever used it and what are your thoughts?

I have been using invisible glass on the tint for years and love it. For exterior glass i have been using sprayway 707 in a areosol can.

Looking at you list looks like i need to do another shopping order, lol.
Not a brand I am familiar with sorry.

There are few brands we don't get in Australia.

Griot's is one example. A shame because there are a few items within their range that I would like to cherry pick.

On the other hand, the likes of Adam's and Chemical Guys are pitched as premium brands in Australia, Adam's especially, to the point where they are priced alongside the Carpro and Gyeon.

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
Not a brand I am familiar with sorry.

There are few brands we don't get in Australia.

Griot's is one example. A shame because there are a few items within their range that I would like to cherry pick.

On the other hand, the likes of Adam's and Chemical Guys are pitched as premium brands in Australia, Adam's especially, to the point where they are priced alongside the Carpro and Gyeon.
Thank you for the reply. Wizards is the best quick detailer i have used personally thus far. A buddy of mine that paints cars turned me onto it. No streaks and no silicone. He told me if you want to see a painter flip his lid tell him he was just sanding a car that had silicone on it. Completely contaminates the shop and its a nightmare to get it all out. Makes fresh sprayed paint fish eye.

Going off your list of things you use looks like i need to order a few more items. Mostly for wheels and interior. My wheels are powdercoated bronze. What you use is safe on powdercoat?

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thank you for the reply. Wizards is the best quick detailer i have used personally thus far. A buddy of mine that paints cars turned me onto it. No streaks and no silicone. He told me if you want to see a painter flip his lid tell him he was just sanding a car that had silicone on it. Completely contaminates the shop and its a nightmare to get it all out. Makes fresh sprayed paint fish eye.

Going off your list of things you use looks like i need to order a few more items. Mostly for wheels and interior. My wheels are powdercoated bronze. What you use is safe on powdercoat?
In general, I just use soap to clean my wheels. Keep in mind, regular washing prevents the build up of grime, negating the need for additional cleaning power a wheel cleaner brings to the table.

I use my foam cannon to apply a generous amount of soap to the wheel, barrel and wheel arch.

IMG_0777.jpg

If you do need the extra cleaning power, Brake Buster is said to be safe on all wheel surfaces. Dilute it if you want to tone it down a bit. You could also look at pH neutral iron removing wheel cleaners too, think Carpro IronX, P&S Iron Buster or NV Purge.

Sponsored

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase

FKE SNK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 93 Cobra clone
Thanks for this thread DFB!

Curious if you think the OG drying aid lives up to the hype(and shipping cost)

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thanks for this thread DFB!

Curious if you think the OG drying aid lives up to the hype(and shipping cost)
I think it is, being slightly more forgiving compared to Bread Maker. Although Bead Maker holds a slight edge for gloss. Worth trying if you have had difficulty dealing with Bead Maker.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Another addition today..........

I wanted to get another foam cannon for use with Brake Buster.

I currently have two foam cannons, the older one from Waxit and a MTM PF22.2.

The older one is the earlier design Waxit Foam Cannon, which still works brilliantly. I have been dedicating it's use toward strip soaps like NV Snow+, Carpro Descale and Carpro Lift. It's very different design prevents me from inadvertently foaming a car down with a strip wash on accident.

IMG_2099.jpg

The MTM PF22.2 has been the benchmark foam cannon for a long time now, this one is approaching 2 years old.

may265.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

I have tried the pump action foamer thing, with both soap and Brake Buster, but it's not for me.

may196.jpg

jan21254.jpg

The dilemma then became what foam cannon was I going to sacrifice to the brutality of Brake Buster? I thought about using the old Waxit one, however I can't get replacement parts for that unit. That's important because Brake Buster is incredibly harsh on anything it has prolonged contact with.

I looked at a variety of cannons from my usual suppliers, nearly going with a Maxshine one from Detailing Shed. However, they too don't really come with spare parts, meaning when the consumables eventually fail, I'm faced with the prospect of throwing out a $80 - $100 foam cannon.

So I started to look at MTM FP22.2's again. At $160, these are a lot of money to sacrifice to Brake Buster. I then found The Detail Store had MTM FP22's on sale -

https://www.detailstore.com.au/prod...ional-foam-cannon?_pos=1&_sid=873919c16&_ss=r

But..........................

You will notice from the product listing and images that this is the older FP22 and not the updated PF22.2.

I thought the earlier PF22 was discontinued at least 3 years ago now. On one hand, I though this might have been an outdated product listing, on the other, at $119 it was a significant saving. I rolled the dice and............

IMG-3019.jpg

The only difference between PF22 and PF22.2 is the bottle design, the actual cannon itself is identical. The key reason why the bottle was re-designed was due to how unstable the old one was, you will note I had to fill this one up to stage the photo.

I'm not particularly worried about it being a PF22 as I already have three spare 22.2 bottles in stock. What I am annoyed about is the fact the item was packaged in a plain carboard box. If you look at the box my original MTM foam cannon came in, you will see what I mean. Instead, the "new" one was simply wrapped in bubble wrap and did not come with the spare orifice. All I can think of is that perhaps these were ex-display items? At a $40 discount, I guess that is acceptable. Either way, the product description probably should have had this noted.

I'm also annoyed at the cheap, un-precise 1/4 inch fitting they supplied with the foam cannon. It just doesn't "snick" into place as well as it should. I will get a better quality MTM replacement at some stage.

IMG-3018.jpg

I now have three foam cannons. I will most likely keep the old Waxit one for strip washing, the older FP22.2 will be used for Brake Buster and the newer PF22 will be swapped onto a more stable bottle for regular washing.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
When I first started detailing in the early 2000’s, I could probably count the number of towels I had on one hand. I would use the classic Meguiar’s Soft Buff Synthetic Chamois to dry my car after a wash and ration my Meguiars Terry Towels and Supreme Shine Microfibers.

mctt101.jpg

megssmf100.png

The towels available to detailers are a world away from what we had before, I have more than I should admit to! I have one cabinet dedicated to detailing chemicals, and one dedicated to microfiber.

IMG-7312.jpg

IMG-2182.jpg

In general, I have towels sorted into specific uses, each stored in a sealed container after being washed. The following list are the ones I tend to use the most and except for a couple of random towels, all are from The Rag Company. I have taken a lot of inspiration from OG here, with a few deviations.

Wash Mitts –
I prefer a wash pad rather a mitt, I find them more convenient to use and easier to flip. My preference are the Cyclone Bone and Cyclone Wash Pad. I like these two as they are just the right size, small enough to be easy to handle, big enough to be effective. If you prefer a mitt, there is also the Cyclone Mitt.

The Cyclone Bone Microfiber Wash Sponge | The Rag Company
The Cyclone Wash Pad | The Rag Company
Ultra Wash Mitt | The Rag Company

IMG-1403.jpg

Drying Towels –
I have mixed and matched drying towels for a long time. My first drying towel was a large waffle weave one before transitioning to the super thick plush drying towels. Once I made the move to mostly air drying, I started to use much smaller towels. Now, my two favourites are the FTW and medium Gauntlets.

I have two of each color, one or two towels are enough to get around a car after blow drying.
FTW Twist Loop Microfiber Detailing and Glass Towel | The Rag Company

I use the medium Gauntlet, there is also a larger one if you prefer.
The Gauntlet Microfiber Drying Towel | The Rag Company

IMG-0888.jpg

IMG-1661.jpg

Water-less / Rinse-less Towels –
I’m relatively new to rinse-less washing, nonetheless, I use 16x16 Platinum Pluffle for this task.
Platinum Pluffle Microfiber Detailing Towel | The Rag Company

IMG-1447.jpg

Door Jamb Drying / Wiping –
For dirtier cars, I use 16x24 Dr-Me-A-River waffle weave towels. For softer paint or my own cars, I use The Creature Edgeless.
Dry Me A River | The Rag Company
Creature Edgeless Microfiber Detailing Towel | The Rag Company

IMG-9099.jpg

IMG-1570.jpg

Glass –
Waffle Weave towels are best for glass. Again, I use the (dark blue) 16x24 Dry-Me-A-River.

IMG-9990.jpg

Wax/Sealant/Polish Removal –
I have tried a number of variations on towels for this task. While there is nothing wrong with the ultra-plush towels such as Eagle Edgeless, I prefer a lighter towel for these jobs. The Creature Edgeless makes another appearance here, these are dual sided with the shorter pile suited to polish removal and the plusher side used for wax and sealant.

IMG-2091.jpg

Ceramic Coating Leveling -
You need a low pile towel for this job, so while these look very cheap and nasty, that is the point here. Once used for this task, they should be retired to the rag pile. Edgeless 300 in blue.
Edgeless 300 All-Purpose Microfiber Terry Towels | The Rag Company

IMG-1939.jpg

Interior Towel –
For interiors, I love these The Car Wash Towel. These are a pretty basic looking towel but they are perfectly sized and very durable. I will use this towel for general cleaning of all interior surfaces including leather. I also use green Creature Edgeless for delicate gloss trims.
Car Wash Microfiber Towel | The Rag Company

IMG-0735.jpg

IMG-0800.jpg

Engine Bay Towel –
This towel gets used to give the engine bay a wipe over after a wash as well as applying dressings. The Car Wash Towel appears again, this time in red.

IMG-0794.jpg

General Purpose / Beater Towels –
Once again, The Car Wash Towel, in blue and grey. As mentioned, these are super durable and affordable, so you can sacrifice these if needed on dirty jobs.

IMG-1073.jpg

Wheel & Tire Towels –
You could of course use the beater towels for this. I really like the small 12x12 Gauntlet for this role, they are perfectly sized and easy to manage.

feb21164.jpg

Applicators -
Not a towel but still microfiber, I like these Pearl and Eagle applicators.
Eagle Applicator Sponge | The Rag Company
Microfiber Pearl Weave Applicator Sponge | The Rag Company

Detergent –
I use Rags to Riches for all cleaning of my microfiber. I also air dry them indoors rather than using a dryer.
P&S Detail Products - Rags to Riches | The Rag Company

IMG_1122.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
When I first started detailing in the early 2000’s, I could probably count the number of towels I had on one hand. I would use the classic Meguiar’s Soft Buff Synthetic Chamois to dry my car after a wash and ration my Meguiars Terry Towels and Supreme Shine Microfibers.

mctt101.jpg

megssmf100.png

The towels available to detailers are a world away from what we had before, I have more than I should admit to! I have one cabinet dedicated to detailing chemicals, and one dedicated to microfiber.

IMG-7312.jpg

IMG-2182.jpg

In general, I have towels sorted into specific uses, each stored in a sealed container after being washed. The following list are the ones I tend to use the most and except for a couple of random towels, all are from The Rag Company. I have taken a lot of inspiration from OG here, with a few deviations.

Wash Mitts –
I prefer a wash pad rather a mitt, I find them more convenient to use and easier to flip. My preference are the Cyclone Bone and Cyclone Wash Pad. I like these two as they are just the right size, small enough to be easy to handle, big enough to be effective. If you prefer a mitt, there is also the Cyclone Mitt.

The Cyclone Bone Microfiber Wash Sponge | The Rag Company
The Cyclone Wash Pad | The Rag Company
Ultra Wash Mitt | The Rag Company

IMG-1403.jpg

Drying Towels –
I have mixed and matched drying towels for a long time. My first drying towel was a large waffle weave one before transitioning to the super thick plush drying towels. Once I made the move to mostly air drying, I started to use much smaller towels. Now, my two favourites are the FTW and medium Gauntlets.

I have two of each color, one or two towels are enough to get around a car after blow drying.
FTW Twist Loop Microfiber Detailing and Glass Towel | The Rag Company

I use the medium Gauntlet, there is also a larger one if you prefer.

IMG-0888.jpg

IMG-1661.jpg

Water-less / Rinse-less Towels –
I’m relatively new to rinse-less washing, nonetheless, I use 16x16 Platinum Pluffle for this task.
Platinum Pluffle Microfiber Detailing Towel | The Rag Company

IMG-1447.jpg

Door Jamb Drying / Wiping –
For dirtier cars, I use 16x24 Dr-Me-A-River waffle weave towels. For softer paint or my own cars, I use The Creature Edgeless.

IMG-9099.jpg

IMG-1570.jpg

Glass –
Waffle Weave towels are best for glass. Again, I use the (dark blue) 16x24 Dry-Me-A-River.

IMG-9990.jpg

Wax/Sealant/Polish Removal –
I have tried a number of variations on towels for this task. While there is nothing wrong with the ultra-plush towels such as Eagle Edgeless, I prefer a lighter towel for these jobs. The Creature Edgeless makes another appearance here, these are dual sided with the shorter pile suited to polish removal and the plusher side used for wax and sealant.

IMG-2091.jpg

Ceramic Coating Leveling -
You need a low pile towel for this job, so while these look very cheap and nasty, that is the point here. Once used for this task, they should be retired to the rag pile. Edgeless 300 in blue.
Edgeless 300 All-Purpose Microfiber Terry Towels | The Rag Company

IMG-1939.jpg

Interior Towel –
For interiors, I love these The Car Wash Towel. These are a pretty basic looking towel but they are perfectly sized and very durable. I will use this towel for general cleaning of all interior surfaces including leather. I also use green Creature Edgeless for delicate gloss trims.

IMG-0735.jpg

IMG-0800.jpg

Engine Bay Towel –
This towel gets used to give the engine bay a wipe over after a wash as well as applying dressings. The Car Wash Towel appears again, this time in red.

IMG-0794.jpg

General Purpose / Beater Towels –
Once again, The Car Wash Towel, in blue and grey. As mentioned, these are super durable and affordable, so you can sacrifice these if needed on dirty jobs.

IMG-1073.jpg

Wheel & Tire Towels –
You could of course use the beater towels for this. I really like the small 12x12 Gauntlet for this role, they are perfectly sized and easy to manage.

feb21164.jpg

Applicators -
Not a towel but still microfiber, I like these Pearl and Eagle applicators.
Eagle Applicator Sponge | The Rag Company
Microfiber Pearl Weave Applicator Sponge | The Rag Company

Detergent –
I use Rags to Riches for all cleaning of my microfiber. I also air dry them indoors rather than using a dryer.
P&S Detail Products - Rags to Riches | The Rag Company

IMG_1122.jpg
1653657975063.gif

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
Just copped one of these foam cannon holders, didn't even know they existed....

Love this thread
That is pretty neat. I can draw something like that up in fusion 360 and 3d print it out.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
That is pretty neat. I can draw something like that up in fusion 360 and 3d print it out.
I wish I had your skills, it took me a year to find one sold locally. While I could have ordered one from the US, I was NOT paying $120 shipping for a $25 part.

Such a simple little addition that really suits my wheel cleaning method.

IMG-0666.jpg

IMG-0660.jpg

IMG-0761.jpg

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
@DFB5.0
Nice write up man.

Quick question. I've used the Car Pro Iron X on the truck in the past and almost died a couple of times, (LOL) from the fumes. How does that P&S Iron Buster compare in stench? lol
I "assume" it works just as well as the Car Pro Iron X.
Thanks.
Sponsored