DFB's Soap Shoot Out

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Big fan of Absolute for the scent and slickness.

Both ONR and Absolute are great interior detailers too, super mild/safe and excellent for dusting or light cleaning.

If you get a chance, also have look at Opti-Coat No Rinse, the ceramic infused version often called "yellow ONR". Smells so good and offers even more gloss and slickness.

Opti-Coat - No Rinse | The Rag Company

IMG-8276.jpg
Definitely worth a try. I am still just dipping my toe in the rinseless game, I am really impressed with Absolute. I did just order a bottle of DIY rinseless. It supposedly has some surfactants in it so it can be foamed on. I hope to try that next time in my IK foamer as a pre spray tnen do the rinseless wash. I know this time, I used my Carpro "Elixir" home made mix on the Mustang (ECH20 and Reload) for the drying aid and final wipe down and Gyeon Ceramic Detailer for my Mazda final wipe to complement the CanCoat. Both worked really well..
Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Definitely worth a try. I am still just dipping my toe in the rinseless game, I am really impressed with Absolute. I did just order a bottle of DIY rinseless. It supposedly has some surfactants in it so it can be foamed on. I hope to try that next time in my IK foamer as a pre spray tnen do the rinseless wash. I know this time, I used my Carpro "Elixir" home made mix on the Mustang (ECH20 and Reload) for the drying aid and final wipe down and Gyeon Ceramic Detailer for my Mazda final wipe to complement the CanCoat. Both worked really well..
DIY Rinse-less is similar to McKee's N-914 in that it's based on a surfactant chemistry rather than polymer based like ONR, Opti-ONR and Absolute.

Surfactant based products are said to "leave nothing behind", I would probably say that they leave less behind. I've found these products to be ever so slightly better at cleaning but tend to have a more "sticky" or "tacky" feel to them. (Keep in mind, I'm hyper sensitive to these differences).

IMG-8479.jpg

Personally, I prefer polymer-based rinse-less products as they tend to feel slicker. Some people get wound up about leaving a polymer behind after the wash, but I don't see the problem here. Any polymer left behind is so minimal that it's not going to mask a coating, way less than the topper or drying aid that is used after the wash anyway.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
DIY Rinse-less is similar to McKee's N-914 in that it's based on a surfactant chemistry rather than polymer based like ONR, Opti-ONR and Absolute.

Surfactant based products are said to "leave nothing behind", I would probably say that they leave less behind. I've found these products to be ever so slightly better at cleaning but tend to have a more "sticky" or "tacky" feel to them. (Keep in mind, I'm hyper sensitive to these differences).

IMG-8479.jpg

Personally, I prefer polymer-based rinse-less products as they tend to feel slicker. Some people get wound up about leaving a polymer behind after the wash, but I don't see the problem here. Any polymer left behind is so minimal that it's not going to mask a coating, way less than the topper or drying aid that is used after the wash anyway.
Yeah I want to try all the options. I definitely am not sold on the rinseless idea yet other than perhaps to do a final wipe for a car show or in a pinch in the winter time. WIll probably just fill up buckets with soap and gamma seal lids and go to the local spray wash most of the time, its only a few miles away. Then just blow and go :) and do a final wipe down once I get home. Especially the wheels, I can't see rinseless getting wheels and tires clean enough to suit me.

On a side note, I ordered some Incredible suds too when I ordered the rinseless. Can't wait to try it too :)

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Yeah I want to try all the options. I definitely am not sold on the rinseless idea yet other than perhaps to do a final wipe for a car show or in a pinch in the winter time. WIll probably just fill up buckets with soap and gamma seal lids and go to the local spray wash most of the time, its only a few miles away. Then just blow and go :) and do a final wipe down once I get home. Especially the wheels, I can't see rinseless getting wheels and tires clean enough to suit me.

On a side note, I ordered some Incredible suds too when I ordered the rinseless. Can't wait to try it too :)
I'm not all-in on rinse-less either, probably 3-1 with soap washing being the larger figure. But, it's great for when the car is needing attention but not enough to warrant breaking out the pressure washer, foam cannon ect..............

As for Incredible Suds, I was using it today, lovely product.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Another selection of soaps to add to the equation..............................

P&S Inspiration Radiance – this is an update to an older P&S formula, the original being a wash-n-wax type of soap. Because waxes and conditioning agents don’t always play well with ceramic coatings, P&S reformulated Radiance with Si02, in the process making it suitable for vehicles with an existing ceramic coating. That doesn’t mean that it must be used on ceramic coatings though, its use will add some short-term protection and gloss enhancement to any LSP.

I’ll be honest in saying that I have never been a fan of this style of soap, but Radiance was a pleasant surprise. Foaming ability, this is a very running product, so don’t expect shaving cream foam. The scent is also very dated in having an old-school car wash aroma. And the lubrication is only fair. But once the car has been rinsed and dried, the boost in gloss and slickness is very hard to ignore. So while some of the below scores are middle of the road, the final score reflects the visual and tactile qualities it brings to the table.

Lubrication – 6/10
Cleaning Ability - 7/10
Scent – Berry, quite muted
PH Level – 7.0 (as tested)
Consistency – Runny
Overall Rating – 8/10

IMG_1340.jpg

Opti-Coat M-Wash – This soap was designed to maintain the range of Opt-Coat ceramic coatings. If price was the only measure of value, then this soap would be scored very low. At full retail, M-Wash in a 500ml bottle (the only size offered) sits at a lofty $42.95. For perspective, a 500ml bottle of Reset sits at $30.75, while a 1000ml bottle costs $45.95.

But………………..I really love this soap. The frosted bottle with a chrome lid and the swish label design capture your attention right away. Then the beautiful berry scent hooks you in, the thick foam it generates gets you smiling. The acidic leaning formula means it cleans well. M-Wash offers great lubrication too.

Opti-Coat also make mention of the fluoropolymers within M-Wash helping to repel contamination between washes. But the icing on the cake is how easily it rinses from the car with no reactivation, meaning it improves efficiency.
This is not soap you would be using in a professional environment, its just too expensive. But as a hobbyist, this is one of the best soaps money can buy, the user experience is right up there with Reset and GSF. The most telling factor for me is that I have reordered this soap a few times now, and that means it sits at the top of my list!

Lubrication – 9/10
Cleaning Ability - 9/10
Scent – Sweet berries
PH Level – 5.5 (as tested)
Consistency – Runny
Overall Rating – 10/10

IMG-9449.jpg

Gtechniq W4 Citrus Foam – This is a pH balanced foaming pre-wash designed as a first step in removing heavier contamination and road grime before the contact wash. Its citrus formulation provides added cleaning ability, while the balanced pH helps protect waxes and sealants. The mild citrus aroma is nice, and it foams thickly.

During the dwell period, W4 Citrus Foam breaks down and begins to run down the panel, taking dirt with it. I like to use W4 Citrus to loosen up accumulated road grime and bugs, in turn making the contact wash safer. I will note that this product is not as aggressive as something like Carpro Lift or Bilt Hamber Touchless, but sometimes that level of grunt is not needed. W4 Citrus Foam is the happy medium.

Lubrication – not rated
Cleaning Ability - 8/10
Scent – Citrus, quite muted
PH Level – 6.4 (as tested)
Consistency – Runny
Overall Rating – 7/10

IMG_0065.jpg

Koch Chemie GFX – Now, this is probably a pointless addition here considering it was never offered in Australia, and the fact it was a limited edition, but I have used it and so it deserves a ranking. In theory, GFX is apparently the same as the brilliant GSF, save for the cinnamon and pine Christmas themed scent. However, there is a pH difference between the two, with GSF rated at 7.5 and GFX sitting at 8.0. I have since found out that the difference in pH was to allow the scent to hold true.

In any case, GFX performs the same as the regular version, delivers top tier lubrication and foaming ability. And yes, the scent is delightful and one that lingers long after the buckets have been emptied. GFX is about as festive as I get these days. Considering how lovely the scent is, I can see this reappearing at some point in the future.

Lubrication – 10/10
Cleaning Ability - 7/10
Scent – Cinnamon and Pine
PH Level – 8.0
Consistency – Runny
Overall Rating – 10/10

IMG-0185.jpg

Bilt Hamber Touchless – I’ll be honest up front in saying this soap is not designed for me, I simply don’t need its extreme cleaning power. Uniquely, this is a sugar-based soap that contains corrosion inhibitors, and with a pH of 12.0, this is one of the most alkaline soaps you can use on your car.

Touchless was designed to do what the name suggests, removing accumulated road grime, bugs and dirt without touching the vehicle. The tricky part with this soap is what Bit Hamber like to term “panel impact ratio”, which translates to the ratio achieved once the soap hits the paint after being diluted by your foam cannon. Bilt Hamber present a rather complicated process to calculate this ratio, something that will vary depending on your foam cannon and pressure washer output. Some suppliers of Touchless provide a value to start with, but frankly, you really need to calculate this for your specific application. For me, this is needlessly complicated.

In use, it’s important to note that this is not a soap you would use for a contact wash, rather it’s a pre-wash foam to make the contact wash safer. Touchless is also a runnier foam than most, blanketing the vehicle in a thin layer of soap that breaks down contamination and allows it to be drawn from the vehicle as it drips onto the ground. After rinsing, you will be surprised at how effective this product is at removing dirt without laying a hand on the car. All I can say is, be careful with it.

Lubrication – N/A
Cleaning Ability - 15/10
Scent – Unscented, slight sugar cane type aroma
PH Level – 12.0
Consistency – Runny
Overall Rating – 8/10

IMG-9963.jpg

Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam – One of the brands best products, this is a pH neutral soap that boasts impressive foamability and suitability for use on waxes and sealants. I note that it has gloss enhancers, which could work against you on a ceramic coating.

In use, Honeydew is easy to dispense due to its runny consistency. The foaming ability is exceptional, the slickness middle of the road. The scent is pleasantly fresh, although not a standout like GSF or Reset. The soap also rinses freely. I used this soap on vehicles with Gyeon Pure EVO ceramic coating and didn’t seem to have compatibility issues from the glossing agents.

This is a very competent soap. However, in Australia Honeydew is priced against some heavy hitting soaps, making it a hard sell for me. The overall score reflects this.

Lubrication – 7/10
Cleaning Ability – 7/10
Scent – Subdued honeydew aroma
PH Level – 7.5 (claimed)
Consistency – Runny
Overall Rating – 5/10 (At US prices, I would put this at 7/10).

IMG-1429.jpg

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
..its use will add some short-term protection and gloss enhancement to any LSP.
It's early here D so that may be my problem but, you lost me with "LSP." Is that Louisianna State Police? Language Server Protocol? Liskov Substitution Principle? Land Stewardship Product? <grinning>

Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam – One of the brands best products
Thanks for that one my friend and after reading another one of your excellent product reviews I have decided to switch to Reset when my Snow Foam runs out. <smile> That will be one of many upgrade changes I've made in my detailing world thanks to you and all have been MUCH appreciated.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I have decided to switch to Reset when my Snow Foam runs out. <smile> That will be one of many upgrade changes I've made in my detailing world thanks to you and all have been MUCH appreciated.
You won't regret that. Reset is by far my favorite soap of all time. I use lots of others and like them a lot much like our friend D but I always go back to Reset. Cleans amazing, rinses clean and smells divine. A very unique smell that I practically dream about :) I know, I need therapy :)

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
It's early here D so that may be my problem but, you lost me with "LSP." Is that Louisianna State Police? Language Server Protocol? Liskov Substitution Principle? Land Stewardship Product? <grinning>
LSP = Last Step Product. In other words, your ceramic coating, wax or selant.

Thanks for that one my friend and after reading another one of your excellent product reviews I have decided to switch to Reset when my Snow Foam runs out. <smile> That will be one of many upgrade changes I've made in my detailing world thanks to you and all have been MUCH appreciated.
I was so worried about posting that review of Honeydew because I know you like it. And I did too, but not at $30.00 for 16oz when there are many more that I like more. If you enjoying using it, go for it. There are many products that I love but others detest, so personal taste is a huge factor.

In terms of Reset, I know you have used it before. Compared with a lot of other soaps, Reset is quite concentrated, so you need to resist the temptation to overdose on the amount you load into the cannon. I did this too, but for a different reason.

The earlier version of Reset didn't foam as well as you might have hoped for, so loading up the soap made it foam better...................at considerable cost. However, the formula changed at some point, but I continued with a heavy concentration in my foam cannon. I had people suggest using as little as 50ml per 950ml of water. I started working down from my 120-150ml amount to the point where I'm at about 80 - 100ml per bottle and getting great foam.

Where I'm going with that is, yes Reset is expensive, probably less so in Australia for some reason. But you can use less of it, so it evens out in the long run.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
You won't regret that. Reset is by far my favorite soap of all time. I use lots of others and like them a lot much like our friend D but I always go back to Reset. Cleans amazing, rinses clean and smells divine. A very unique smell that I practically dream about :) I know, I need therapy :)
I died a little on the inside when a rather prominent detailing identity ranted about how Reset smelled weird. I'm like NO, you are wrong! :facepalm:

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I died a little on the inside when a rather prominent detailing identity ranted about how Reset smelled weird. I'm like NO, you are wrong! :facepalm:
I know right :) it is a very unique smell but it is very addictive. Kinda like smelling race gas at the track :) I LOVE using it in the foam canon and the smell lingers in the air for a while, makes the wash so much more enjoyable. I do rotate my soaps as I have so many different ones, but Reset is still my favorite :) As far as pure smell goes, I think my close second is GFX, the holiday scent is really spot on.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
LSP = Last Step Product.
Thanks D, I'll probably remember that for ohhh...about an hour. <grinning>
Reset is quite concentrated, so you need to resist the temptation to overdose
Thanks for that as well and yes, that is my habit (and probably many others as well,)

The earlier version of Reset didn't foam as well as you might have hoped for
You hit the nail on the head my friend, that is exactly why I dropped back to Snow Foam!

I'm at about 80 - 100ml per bottle and getting great foam.
It simply doesn't get any better than when you have someone else do the prep work for ya! <warm smile> You're the BEST, thanks.

50ALM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
Bilt Hamber Touchless – I’ll be honest up front in saying this soap is not designed for me, I simply don’t need its extreme cleaning power. Uniquely, this is a sugar-based soap that contains corrosion inhibitors, and with a pH of 12.0, this is one of the most alkaline soaps you can use on your car.

Touchless was designed to do what the name suggests, removing accumulated road grime, bugs and dirt without touching the vehicle. The tricky part with this soap is what Bit Hamber like to term “panel impact ratio”, which translates to the ratio achieved once the soap hits the paint after being diluted by your foam cannon. Bilt Hamber present a rather complicated process to calculate this ratio, something that will vary depending on your foam cannon and pressure washer output. Some suppliers of Touchless provide a value to start with, but frankly, you really need to calculate this for your specific application. For me, this is needlessly complicated.

In use, it’s important to note that this is not a soap you would use for a contact wash, rather it’s a pre-wash foam to make the contact wash safer. Touchless is also a runnier foam than most, blanketing the vehicle in a thin layer of soap that breaks down contamination and allows it to be drawn from the vehicle as it drips onto the ground. After rinsing, you will be surprised at how effective this product is at removing dirt without laying a hand on the car. All I can say is, be careful with it.

Lubrication – N/A
Cleaning Ability - 15/10
Scent – Unscented, slight sugar cane type aroma
PH Level – 12.0
Consistency – Runny
Overall Rating – 8/10

IMG-9963.jpg
FYI...
Bilt-Hamber have a new version of Touch-Less.
pH is now 10.5, and it's concentration has been increased.

PAN released this new video 19 hours ago.

Interestingly, and despite the high pH, this is supposedly ok with waxes, paint sealants and ceramic coatings.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
FYI...
Bilt-Hamber have a new version of Touch-Less.
pH is now 10.5, and it's concentration has been increased.

PAN released this new video 19 hours ago.

Interestingly, and despite the high pH, this is supposedly ok with waxes, paint sealants and ceramic coatings.
I would say the fact that its sold as a "touch free" soap and its safeness for waxes and sealants has a lot to do with no contact or agitation being made. For some reason, alkalinity that sits on the vehicle surface is way less aggressive to a wax or sealant than when combined with agitation (wash mitt). Which means it can break down surface level dirt and allow it to rinsed from the surface.
Sponsored