Sponsored

What would you start with to build a high HP sleeper?

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Just to give you guys an idea of what a nut job my FIL is and what prompted this conversation....

The is a screen grab from our security system(if you can call it that). My car is on the left. Cleaned and tucked away since Thanksgiving weekend.

His car on the right was also tucked away nicely. However he snuck his out because he was bored. He forgot the turn off the alarm and I caught him trying to recover the car covered in salt and sand.

Those are bungee cords across the top, the blue tarp under the car is to keep mice out. Because the 3801 traps we have in there won't do the job. :doh:
cars.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
No offense - most of the cars listed are great cars and I've actually owned / wrenched on many of the same models....but just how is a G8 or many of the other listed cars a SLEEPER?

Maybe the definition has changed?

"Sleeper for 700 HP."

There are very few cars that you'd EXPECT to have 700 HP. But don't people (at least car people) expect most of the cars listed in this thread to be "fast"???

I've built a few sleepers. My definition of a sleeper is a car that will fool OTHER CAR GUYS until the go pedal gets mashed.

By all means, build whatever you (your Father) wants. His money, his time, his life. Fast cars are great no matter what make / model...I'm just not understanding the sleeper label...maybe it's just me.
This is what I tried to explain in the first couple posts. Your right sleeper in the truest since of the word isn't what he is looking for.

His pride and joy is a bright red Callaway Corvette. The only things that are less of sleeper than that are the super cars.

A stock looking Charger or SS with 700hp would surprise a lot people. I think he is just looking to fly under the radar a little bit.

To me if I roll up on a stock looking/sounding s550 and he puts bus lengths on me because he has a 1000 hp TT system that's a sleeper or at least a big surprise!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
No offense - most of the cars listed are great cars and I've actually owned / wrenched on many of the same models....but just how is a G8 or many of the other listed cars a SLEEPER?

Maybe the definition has changed?

"Sleeper for 700 HP."

There are very few cars that you'd EXPECT to have 700 HP. But don't people (at least car people) expect most of the cars listed in this thread to be "fast"???

I've built a few sleepers. My definition of a sleeper is a car that will fool OTHER CAR GUYS until the go pedal gets mashed.

By all means, build whatever you (your Father) wants. His money, his time, his life. Fast cars are great no matter what make / model...I'm just not understanding the sleeper label...maybe it's just me.
Have you seen a GTO/G8/Chevy SS? They are very plain Jane - all of them. And they are not small and they don't make a lot of power by current standards.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Have you seen a GTO/G8/Chevy SS? They are very plain Jane - all of them. And they are not small and they don't make a lot of power by current standards.
I owned a G8. I've wrenched on two different GTOs owned by friends. I've driven a 6 speed SS multiple times.

They are 'plain jane' yes....but any car guy knows what they are. Different definitions I guess. A GTO / SS / G8 is SUPPOSED to be a performance oriented car.

A Buick Roadmaster wagon (for example)? Not so much.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
This thread takes me back to the early '90s, when my buddies and I were heavily into drag racing.

One friend ran a '68 Mustang GT fastback, powered by a single-carb tunnel-rammed 289 that spun to 9,000 RPM. Prior to that engine, it had another very stout 289 in it which was a hair more streetable and fit under a hood. When the screamer went in the Mustang, the other engine suddenly became available. His daily at the time was a ratty powder blue 6-cylinder '62 Fairlane 4-door, and you can guess what happened next. Backed by a 4-speed and a spooled rear, no less. He fabbed exhaust using four mufflers to make it virtually silent, and ran cheater slicks on plain old steel wheels with baby moon caps. A snow tire on the driver front completed the image. That car was a killer, and made some money too.

Now THAT is a sleeper.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
This thread takes me back to the early '90s, when my buddies and I were heavily into drag racing.

One friend ran a '68 Mustang GT fastback, powered by a single-carb tunnel-rammed 289 that spun to 9,000 RPM. Prior to that engine, it had another very stout 289 in it which was a hair more streetable and fit under a hood. When the screamer went in the Mustang, the other engine suddenly became available. His daily at the time was a ratty powder blue 6-cylinder '62 Fairlane 4-door, and you can guess what happened next. Backed by a 4-speed and a spooled rear, no less. He fabbed exhaust using four mufflers to make it virtually silent, and ran cheater slicks on plain old steel wheels with baby moon caps. A snow tire on the driver front completed the image. That car was a killer, and made some money too.

Now THAT is a sleeper.
That's what I call a money maker. Around that time I had a 347 stroker with flowmaster 2 chambers and full length headers. I couldn't buy a race!
Sponsored