Sponsored

What wind deflector / windscreen should I buy?

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Thanks for the info.

I like how it attaches to head rest posts keeping rear seats free for passengers etc.

Mustang does not have active headrests in collisions, like Volvo and others?
TBH I've never considered the GT rear seats practical seating for anyone over 13.
Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
My son, about 5’8” or so, rides in the back a handful of times a year. Lots of headroom with the top up, unlike the coupe. We have had the ladies ride in the back during our wine tours, with husbands up front. Not particularly comfortable for me driving, at 6’1” and a bit, but okay for short hops.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info.

I like how it attaches to head rest posts keeping rear seats free for passengers etc.

Mustang does not have active headrests in collisions, like Volvo and others?
Here are the pics as promised of the brackets. Those hex head bolts are tightened after you slide the headrest posts thru the bracket. Remove by reversing, loosen bolts, slide headrests out and remove wind restrictor.

fwiw not sure if our Mustangs have active headrests but they are movable.
IMG_6299.jpg
IMG_6300.jpg

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
The Aperta brand wind deflector was surprisingly easy to install.

j8GrBEO.jpg

1bGHeeb.jpg

gUcDAs8.jpg

cool592

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (Order)
Here are the pics as promised of the brackets. Those hex head bolts are tightened after you slide the headrest posts thru the bracket. Remove by reversing, loosen bolts, slide headrests out and remove wind restrictor.

fwiw not sure if our Mustangs have active headrests but they are movable.
IMG_6299.jpg
IMG_6300.jpg
How do the electronics on the light work? Plug into 12V or wired in or battery?
Do the brackets rest or rock on the seats while you are driving?
Any wear on the headrests or the plastic piece where the headrests meet the seats?

Sponsored

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
How do the electronics on the light work? Plug into 12V or wired in or battery?
Do the brackets rest or rock on the seats while you are driving?
Any wear on the headrests or the plastic piece where the headrests meet the seats?
If ordered with the LED light there's a strip at the bottom with a wire connection. You order a 12v or different (like fuse wired) connection, I ordered the 12v since there's one in the center console. The only kinda goofy thing about the product is you have to wire the 12v with wires to the light bar wires, They provide wire connectors (tube shaped) that when heated make a solder connection. As for the brackets, once tightened they stay where they are no rocking or moving, no wear but my GT is new new but they don't touch the headrests. And where else are you going to get a Ford approved custom etched Pony that lights up like that one? LOL

cool592

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If ordered with the LED light there's a strip at the bottom with a wire connection. You order a 12v or different (like fuse wired) connection, I ordered the 12v since there's one in the center console. The only kinda goofy thing about the product is you have to wire the 12v with wires to the light bar wires, They provide wire connectors (tube shaped) that when heated make a solder connection. As for the brackets, once tightened they stay where they are no rocking or moving, no wear but my GT is new new but they don't touch the headrests. And where else are you going to get a Ford approved custom etched Pony that lights up like that one? LOL
The reason I asked is because I was considering getting the battery operated version. But, if the 12V fits right in the center console, that might be an easier and cheaper option.

I was worried about rocking or wearing the seats, I saw a video on YouTube of someone who had one and said it wore down his seats. After looking at your pictures it doesn't look like its rubbing at all. Even if it did, I am sure I could get some rubber pads or some plastic to keep it from wearing the seat.

cool592

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And we all thought it was because you may need full seat recline quickly and often! Haha
This does bring up an issue, do the driver and passenger seats need to be parallel or almost parallel for this wind deflector to work? If there is a really big difference would it make it impossible to have this wind deflector?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 SC'd GT PP1 6-spd 'vert
Since there's no rear seat area cover, are you getting the full wind deflection with that clear polycarbonate piece? My wife hates that her hair blows all over the place with the top down. I have the CDC lightbar now, just looking for a good option to cut down on the wind issue now.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Since there's no rear seat area cover, are you getting the full wind deflection with that clear polycarbonate piece? My wife hates that her hair blows all over the place with the top down. I have the CDC lightbar now, just looking for a good option to cut down on the wind issue now.
Before getting my deflector I cut a piece of cardboard to fit the floor and tunnel and came up about 2/3 of the way up the back of the seat. This reduced the draft between the seats and down around my hips, which for me created more discomfort than the breeze around my ears, which windows up mitigated a lot of anyway. Bear in mind, I’m talking about driving at temps in the 3-8C (37-46F)range. If you’re not planning on driving in the cool (or cold) weather and you’re only worried about hair blowing, either will do, but otherwise you’ll want one that has the horizontal element to reduce the draft down low.

Sponsored

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
How was the purchase?

I tried to buy last night and my CC was declined 3 times (over $40K avail), the price was quoted and in cart + UPS $99, total USD 329.

When got the email order it was trying to charge my card EUR 329.

Called them they had no clue about the $229-EUR 329 switch and couldnt tell me if UPS was going to hit me with anothet $100 in duties and taxes LOL - hilarious.
I bought mine from an eBay seller and had no issues, it actually arrived in Illinois in just 3 days by UPS from the Netherlands.

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
I got a Love the Drive for Father’s Day. It does work well but I have a few issues with it that I shared back to the company. First, the rear brackets are too far forward and land on the curve of the interior trim, which effectively makes using the tonneau covers impossible. I solved this by making the new brackets below that effectively move the point rearward to the straight section of the trim, allowing me to use the covers. The very bottom picture is the original bracket. The second is that I’m tall, and when the easy exit feature moved the seat back it struck the front bracket with the seatbelt loop, so when I have the screen in, I turn that off. I suggested that they re-shape that bracket so that it follows the interior panel more closely. I may try making a new bracket for that as well. Lastly, the buckle for the rear strap is rather large and was spreading the seat where you attach it to the child seat anchors. I didn’t want the seat cushions to take a set, so I fashioned straps through the anchors and clip the strap to them instead. Makes installation and removal easier too, since you don’t have to work blind. All relatively little things but for what you’re paying, I expected better engineering.
CDBD061C-F74C-4F1C-9B3F-9B1AB7114C3E.jpeg
44C837E2-5287-4897-9216-60052D0B2D72.jpeg
24539C95-4D96-498A-A5A7-04E244956AFB.jpeg
@Johnnybee , how has this mod been holding out for you?
took a look at my seats and you are correct about the brackets deforming them.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
@Johnnybee , how has this mod been holding out for you?
took a look at my seats and you are correct about the brackets deforming them.
I actually just ran out and looked. LTD has been in, quite literally, since I made those changes. It only comes out a few times a year for back seaters. The opening is a little open (maybe 1/2" at the widest) but I don't think you can avoid it entirely and it certainly is better than without my strap solution. I also reversed the straps, and have the front one going to the child seat anchor and the rear to the slot in the side trim which has perhaps changed the angle (and therefore how it presses against the seat cushion) that the my strap exits. I found that when installed as they directed, that the whole works would move forward, whereas my way keeps the upper mount snug against the rear of the front seat seat belt slot.

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
I actually just ran out and looked. LTD has been in, quite literally, since I made those changes. It only comes out a few times a year for back seaters. The opening is a little open (maybe 1/2" at the widest) but I don't think you can avoid it entirely and it certainly is better than without my strap solution. I also reversed the straps, and have the front one going to the child seat anchor and the rear to the slot in the side trim which has perhaps changed the angle (and therefore how it presses against the seat cushion) that the my strap exits. I found that when installed as they directed, that the whole works would move forward, whereas my way keeps the upper mount snug against the rear of the front seat seat belt slot.
Thanks for the reply man πŸ‘πŸΎ
interesting , I was thinking the same as to reverse the strap points. It is really to bad we don’t get the euro one 🀬

I was also thinking, is there a reason for them to attach to the child anchor? Strength maybe?
just because I was thinking of having all the straps with the J hook anchor instead of the huge metal clip to the rear side panel πŸ€·πŸ½β€β™‚οΈ

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Thanks for the reply man πŸ‘πŸΎ
interesting , I was thinking the same as to reverse the strap points. It is really to bad we don’t get the euro one 🀬

I was also thinking, is there a reason for them to attach to the child anchor? Strength maybe?
just because I was thinking of having all the straps with the J hook anchor instead of the huge metal clip to the rear side panel πŸ€·πŸ½β€β™‚οΈ
I think the child anchor was just a convenient place for them to pick. I imagine that all of their products use that as a point for the rear straps.
Sponsored