Sponsored

What Turbo Kit are you Running?

Notsoslow5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
Hi all,
I know there are quite a few options out there in regards to turbo charging an S550, and now the Aldo Welds kits are making quite a big splash in the market. Just curious as to what everyone on here is running, and what your thoughts are before I go ahead and choose one.
Thanks!
Sponsored

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Hopefully you can get some good feedback but I don't have high hopes. It seems like most just recommend what they have. I am looking into a few options to replace my paxton. The on3 top mount kit is high on my list because it is under 5K with BBB 61MM turbos and it is making good power on lots of cars. Quality issues seem to be under control and you can upgrade a few parts and still be cheap.

I like the hellion low mount kit but it is pretty costly when you upgrade the turbos. LPF seems to have good results but I have heard a few horror stories about COMP turbo quality and issues with back pressure.

I am looking at the CG fabrication single kit that Joe Holt has on his car but it appears to be difficult to get the exhaust out the back. CPR is coming out with their kit too but the wait time is lengthy.

OP
OP
Notsoslow5.0

Notsoslow5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
Hopefully you can get some good feedback but I don't have high hopes. It seems like most just recommend what they have. I am looking into a few options to replace my paxton. The on3 top mount kit is high on my list because it is under 5K with BBB 61MM turbos and it is making good power on lots of cars. Quality issues seem to be under control and you can upgrade a few parts and still be cheap.

I like the hellion low mount kit but it is pretty costly when you upgrade the turbos. LPF seems to have good results but I have heard a few horror stories about COMP turbo quality and issues with back pressure.

I am looking at the CG fabrication single kit that Joe Holt has on his car but it appears to be difficult to get the exhaust out the back. CPR is coming out with their kit too but the wait time is lengthy.
Thanks for the response! I’m also thinking about the on3 kit, just a little nervous if the wastegates don’t fit right etc. I haven’t looked into LPF or CPR much so I’ll have to do that. I also like the hellion low mount kit, until I added in the turbos, fuel system and so on, before I knew it, I was right back around the 10k region. If only there was a national free day...

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
Hellion Sleeper kit here. 62/66s with billet wheel and Screamer option. They are now selling this kit with turbo headers. Kit is well made and happy with results. A good turbo kit is going to cost $$$ if you want cheap that is what you will get. This is true with anything in life.

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
It depends on your mechanical skill as well as the main things you prioritize. What matters most to you: customer service, max power, efficiency, fitment, looks, price, wait times, etc.

Without any of that, you're just going to get people recommending the kit they have.

Sponsored

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
Any of the previously mentioned kits will work. Price can vary quite a bit, but in that respect, it seems with the pricier kits, you get something that is 100% bolt on and go in a weekend sort of deal, with minimal mechanical knowledge needed, well laid out instructions and customer support.

That being said, I have a couple friends that installed Twin Top Mount On3 Kits on their S197 cars (2013/2014). They found the installation to take a fair amount of time, patience and mechanical knowledge (or help from someone who has that knowledge). In the end, all installation quirks and random boost leak issues aside, their kits are fine now and still running strong to this day.

It all comes down to what matters most to you in regards to what 3Beeps said and if you are willing to spend more money for those things.

As for me, once installed, I know I'd be happy with an On3 twin top mount, Hellion twin top mount (rr street sleeper) or Dustin's CPR options.

Being "that guy", I'd probaby rock the CG Fabrications parts and custom build something different over the winter downtime.

Mustanggt5.02011

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GTCS
BBR has a single turbo kit that is very affordable and can be installed over the weekend. Plenty of upgrades if you want but not necessary. We have had several people install the kit by them selves taking their time. Precision Turbo, stainless piping, Precision/Tial wastegates and blow offs, all quality parts. Everything fits with no cutting on your car. Don't even need to pull the bumper off to install the intercooler.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
LPF twin kit here!

Made 950+ on 11psi. No back pressure problems. That story if I'm not mistaken was due to someone installing it incorrectly. Also the horror stories are with the Gen 1 Comp turbos. They have since been fixed and no issues as far as I've seen. Lifetime warranty so what does it matter anyways?

No matter which kit you get after you add in all the supporting modifications you'll be around 10k.

Install for my kit was pretty simple and can be done by most at home in their garage.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
LPF twin kit here!

Made 950+ on 11psi. No back pressure problems. That story if I'm not mistaken was due to someone installing it incorrectly. Also the horror stories are with the Gen 1 Comp turbos. They have since been fixed and no issues as far as I've seen. Lifetime warranty so what does it matter anyways?

No matter which kit you get after you add in all the supporting modifications you'll be around 10k.

Install for my kit was pretty simple and can be done by most at home in their garage.
Are you sure that the turbos have a lifetime warranty? LPF told me the turbos have a 1 year warranty when I asked on Facebook.

upload_2018-12-11_11-52-51.png

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
Are you sure that the turbos have a lifetime warranty? LPF told me the turbos have a 1 year warranty when I asked on Facebook.

upload_2018-12-11_11-52-51.png
Awe maybe I was wrong. I will have to ask next time I go by their shop

Sponsored

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
LPF twin kit here!

The back pressure issues with the LPF kit is the adapters on hot side. To small. It is a well known issue. The owner has denied it is a problem while customers were dealing with it. But....secretly fixing the issue with better adapters. Let me find some pics of these adapters.

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
LPF twin kit here!

This pic should be self explanatory. In this pic we have 2 different headers. Stock on the left then a aftermarket shorty header. The piece on the right connects to the stock header with the LPF kit. Look at the inside diameter with the adapter. THIS is the cause of the lpf back pressure issues everybody has been fighting. Like I said in my previous post I believe he has now learned a lesson and improved his kit. It is not the stock headers making the back pressure issues. Hope this helps.
zxcn4NHlRNWX%DGQIeaFng.jpg

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black Premium Mustang GT
This pic should be self explanatory. In this pic we have 2 different headers. Stock on the left then a aftermarket shorty header. The piece on the right connects to the stock header with the LPF kit. Look at the inside diameter with the adapter. THIS is the cause of the lpf back pressure issues everybody has been fighting. Like I said in my previous post I believe he has now learned a lesson and improved his kit. It is not the stock headers making the back pressure issues. Hope this helps.
zxcn4NHlRNWX%DGQIeaFng.jpg
Good information.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
It seems like it would be easy to piece together your own low mount kit. I think you could use the kooks 1 7/8 shorty headers for the 2011-2014.
Sponsored