Sponsored

What is this noise coming from my suspension?

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I just had my suspension switched out last Friday. I noticed as soon as I left it was making noise up front. The guy at the performance shop told me before I left its a new suspension and warned me I might hear some noises. As far as I knew (and later confirmed it from Steeda, if its installed correctly you shouldnt hear anything). I started hearing it as soon as I left.
I had the springs, shocks, struts, camber plates, rear shock mounts installed and a basic stop the hop kit.
I just had an alignment done yesterday and he had no clue, but also didn't look at it, just sprayed a bunch of stuff with silicon.
What concerns me is not just what this is, but is this something the shop caused or was it pre existing and doing the suspension just brought it out?

Does it sounds like bushings? cv joint? springs? Anyone know?
I only hear it when stopped turning the wheel or barely moving. I dont hear it when actually driving, but of course don't cut my wheel like I do in the video. When I left the shop or pulled into the shop who did my stripe I heard it. Today my slow brain said duh shoot a damn video.
Its only on the drivers side.
I messaged the shop and plan to bring it in, but want others opinions. I also messaged TJ at Steeda this video.
My neighbor mentioned something about thinking its coming from the bushings at the top of the strut and the camber plate where they meet and needing lubrication or something thats over torqued.

Sponsored

Last edited:

S550_GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
My car did that for the first week after lowering springs. It would only happen at stand still or very low speed turning....like backing out of my driveway. I figured it was just the new springs and it would go away, which it did. After about a week of driving, it went away and has not returned. I was worried the springs were't seated correctly but it just went away on it's own.

OP
OP

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My car did that for the first week after lowering springs. It would only happen at stand still or very low speed turning....like backing out of my driveway. I figured it was just the new springs and it would go away, which it did. After about a week of driving, it went away and has not returned. I was worried the springs were't seated correctly but it just went away on it's own.
Interesting. Was it only on one side?

S550_GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
It was hard to tell exactly where it was coming from. Felt like the drivers side...i could also feel a little vibration through the steering wheel... almost like something was binding a bit. It made the same noise as yours though. It was 100% the springs since it never made that noise prior and that was the only thing that was changed. Once it was gone, never heard it again.

Since you had a lot of other things done, maybe something wasn't torqued to spec? If you feel comfortable driving the car, I would put at least 200 miles on it and see if it changes.

OP
OP

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I've already put miles on it within the last week and it's still doing it.
I'm pretty sure it's coming from the springs or that area myself.
I'm taking it to the shop that did the work in the am and hope they can figure it out.
I sent them the video and they told me they've never heard it before and they've installed tons of suspension parts.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just got back from the shop. They can not for the life of it figure out the noise. He took everything apart, checked the sway bar, the camber plates, torque specs, etc. With no solution he figured it had to be the spring itself so he swapped out the spring with a new one he had on hand. Still nothing. He said unless its the shock or strut itself he has no idea. He was really unhappy he couldn't figure it out. He spend a couple of hours on it literately trying to figure it out. He said the noise doesn't happen if the cars in the air, only on the ground. I'm going to try and get into Steeda. Road trip for me. Thankfully its only a few hours.
The guy is ocd like me so you could legit tell he really was not happy he couldn't solve this.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Just got back from the shop. They can not for the life of it figure out the noise. He took everything apart, checked the sway bar, the camber plates, torque specs, etc. With no solution he figured it had to be the spring itself so he swapped out the spring with a new one he had on hand. Still nothing. He said unless its the shock or strut itself he has no idea. He was really unhappy he couldn't figure it out. He spend a couple of hours on it literately trying to figure it out. He said the noise doesn't happen if the cars in the air, only on the ground. I'm going to try and get into Steeda. Road trip for me. Thankfully its only a few hours.
The guy is ocd like me so you could legit tell he really was not happy he couldn't solve this.
what did he say about the reclocking bushings diagram i gave you. I have a steeda suspension and my installer knew to reclock the bushings and my suspension is quiet..

Sponsored
OP
OP

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I believe that is something he did as well. He went through a really long list of things he tried.

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same thing. Will be having the car inspected by my mechanic Monday in prep for VIR on Wed. Different than who installed the stuff. I trust him to give me the straight scoop. I'll let you know what he says.

I spent about 1/2 hour trying to make sure that wheels and tires were clearing everything. Looks good even though things are close down there. I think 275's are as big as you can go without spacers unless you can find a tire with a narrower sidewall. I have Mich PSS

OP
OP

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have the same thing. Will be having the car inspected by my mechanic Monday in prep for VIR on Wed. Different than who installed the stuff. I trust him to give me the straight scoop. I'll let you know what he says.

I spent about 1/2 hour trying to make sure that wheels and tires were clearing everything. Looks good even though things are close down there. I think 275's are as big as you can go without spacers unless you can find a tire with a narrower sidewall. I have Mich PSS
Yea defiantly let me know. I'm just using stock tires with spacers, but even without there's room. He took the spacers off and that didnt even do anything. I'm getting new wheels put on, on Friday, but I'm sticking with stock tires without spacers.
I just uploaded another video of the noise. It has to be coming from the Steeda parts. Are you using Steeda parts as well?