Sponsored

What is the cause to these clutch failures?

Chewdude07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp
Gotta revive this thread. I have a 2016 gt with an 18 mani, pmas fenderwell air intake, exhaust, aluminum 1 piece drives haft, and a vmp tune. Probably pushing close to 500hp which what I though was well within the capable range of the factory clutch. 2 clutch replacements done at aamco later I believe otherwise. Now being just out of warranty I will have to cough up over 2.5k. Wtf ford? You make a car capable of 7.8k rpms and the clutch can't handle it? Maybe it's me. No tracking the car, but I do push the limit on a daily basis when I get the chance.
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Gotta revive this thread. I have a 2016 gt with an 18 mani, pmas fenderwell air intake, exhaust, aluminum 1 piece drives haft, and a vmp tune. Probably pushing close to 500hp which what I though was well within the capable range of the factory clutch. 2 clutch replacements done at aamco later I believe otherwise. Now being just out of warranty I will have to cough up over 2.5k. Wtf ford? You make a car capable of 7.8k rpms and the clutch can't handle it? Maybe it's me. No tracking the car, but I do push the limit on a daily basis when I get the chance.
It's not you the OEM clutch is barely capable at stock power. Go buy McLeod RXT and be done with it for a while. To be fair my clutch lasted good 400 laps or so and I can't heel and toe so there was a lot of dumping the clutch. And in the end wasn't my clutch but my TOB that failed. Ether way next time I'm buying new flywheel and McLeod RXT.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Maybe having aamco replace your clutch is the first issue to address? Personally, that's not the kinda shop I'd take a modded car.

Chewdude07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp
Sorry I wouldn't consider a factory intake upgrade a modded mustang. Also, aamco is a reputable shop that should be far capable to do a clutch job.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
These clutches arenā€™t cheap, I paid $2400 for my Ram Pro Street Twin Disc.

@Chewdude07, will you be going with a twin disc this time around? If so, which one?

Sponsored

Chewdude07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp
I don't know what I can do. I'm waiting on aamco to get back to me and see what type of upgrade they have to offer. He only uses quality parts so I somewhat trust him. It will NOT be the factory clutch assembly again for sure. He also said he would give me a deal on it so I'll just go from there.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I don't know what I can do. I'm waiting on aamco to get back to me and see what type of upgrade they have to offer. He only uses quality parts so I somewhat trust him. It will NOT be the factory clutch assembly again for sure. He also said he would give me a deal on it so I'll just go from there.
I recommend having them replace the slave cylinder too.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Sorry I wouldn't consider a factory intake upgrade a modded mustang. Also, aamco is a reputable shop that should be far capable to do a clutch job.
Your right they should be. Let us know how the third clutch job goes with them. Kinda like wondering why macco paint jobs orange peel so fast? They are so reputable whats going on???

Chewdude07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp
It's not anywhere near why a maaco paint job orange peels. Orange peel doesn't develop over time either. It's bad clear. And if the car isn't prepped properly by the owner than what can you expect. They replace the entire unit along with the slave. A maaco paint job is only as good as the prep work done by the owner. That comparison isn't apples to apples.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Great explanation! Let us know how they do on your next clutch replacement! Third times a charm! šŸ¤žšŸ¤žšŸ¤ž

Sponsored

Chewdude07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp
Looks like all they can install is another factory clutch. They are at least covering it. Tech told me the throwout bearing blew up, but clutch disc's were in good condition. I'll just have to keep it under 7k rpm shifts for the time being until I am able to upgrade the clutch.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Looks like all they can install is another factory clutch. They are at least covering it. Tech told me the throwout bearing blew up, but clutch disc's were in good condition. I'll just have to keep it under 7k rpm shifts for the time being until I am able to upgrade the clutch.
With no charge to you, that has to be a huge relief. The tech couldnā€™t get authorization to have you sign a waiver relieving them of any further responsibility if they put in the clutch of your choosing?

Chewdude07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp
Nope. They only had one option for upgrade and I didn't like it. Within the next year I will be going with a ram twin disc organic clutch and heavy duty adjustable throwout bearing kit. I think that is my best bet for the future of this car if I want to get full potential out of it.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Nope. They only had one option for upgrade and I didn't like it. Within the next year I will be going with a ram twin disc organic clutch and heavy duty adjustable throwout bearing kit. I think that is my best bet for the future of this car if I want to get full potential out of it.
You wonā€™t be drag racing it will you? If not, the organic will be perfect for you. Iā€™ve driven with my Ram Pro Street Twin Disc cerametallic for 793 miles on the street now and it is hard to slip. I havenā€™t stalled the car yet, but I have come close a few times. The more I drive it, the more Iā€˜m getting used to it. If I had it to do over again, I would still choose the cerametallic for my needs because I want it to handle hard launches at the drag strip. Pedal feel is actually lighter than the factory clutch too.
Sponsored