Sponsored

What is my WHP estimate with these mods?

OP
OP

TheNetcode

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT (Manual, Base)
I just don't get it. How can sucking, under/closed hood, HOT engine heated air, yield better performance from the engine, than ambient air rushing into the airbox used by the engine. Now, running with no hood, I can see a benifit. But that's just me
You don’t have to get it. There are dozens of videos showing before and after CAI install dyno results. The CAI always produces more HP and TQ.
Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
The whole closed box thing has been debunked. The open cold air intake system is far better for the car and yields decent hp and tq gains for the little money it costs. Obviously, JLT is probably one of the better ones since it requires a tune to run properly
No, just no. I’m a contract automotive engineer, a closed box system will always yield more consistent results. Sure you’ll get one good pull with a fan in front of the Dyno with the car being ice cold. Take it out in the real world, you’ll find you loose more hp.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
You don’t have to get it. There are dozens of videos showing before and after CAI install dyno results. The CAI always produces more HP and TQ.
Aren’t these pulls done with the hood open?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
On a dyno with the hood open and big fans blowing to keep it cool. Out in real use situations is totally different unless you’re driving with no hood.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I’m honestly surprised Ford designed an open box for the GT350 and Mach1. Especially considering they went closed box for the GT500 (and yes, a supercharger will generate more heat than NA so I get that part of it)

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The E85 is a good bang for your buck though OP. That will get you good results and provided your E85 tests out consistently, your HP gains will be consistently there.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I’m honestly surprised Ford designed an open box for the GT350 and Mach1. Especially considering they went closed box for the GT500 (and yes, a supercharger will generate more heat than NA so I get that part of it)
They did this because people are dumb. No seriously they did, the open box intake looks cooler and they were able to adjust the tune for the 350 and M1 to run about the same as a closed box would. If you threw a JLT closed box on a 350 or M1 you’d see more consistent results! They were just able to charge more money for less materials. The automotive inudstry is always about the money.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have the original PMAS kit and when I dyno’d, I had the hood closed with no fan running.

OP
OP

TheNetcode

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
That was my next point. The legendary GT350 has an open air box intake. It’s like you’re saying that Ford doesn’t know what they are doing.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I have the original PMAS kit and when I dyno’d, I had the hood closed with no fan running.
That’s a larger diameter intake

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

TheNetcode

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
But how is that a fair comparison to closed box if it has bigger diameter and tune
It all started with the guy saying the closed airbox is better than my listed JLT CAI. I guess we can all agree that a larger diameter CAI is better than a closed airbox system.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Mine is actually the no tune required version. Perhaps there might be more power to be had with a tune, but I never thought of paying for a retune just for a CAI kit.
Sponsored