Sponsored

What impact will it have on 6-speed sales that PP is no longer exclusive to manuals?

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
I have heard this argument for years, but again, Porsche did a 180. If you are building enthusiast sports car and trying to sell to the masses eliminating the manual option will likely result in lost sales.

But I don't think we are even close to this happening when you consider that Ford is only putting manuals in some of their enthusiast cars like the Focus RS, Shelby GT350, etc.

Neither Ford nor Chevy are designing/manufacturing their own manuals, they use a supplier like Tremec.

Now if Tremec says we will not longer build and sell manual gearboxes I would be concerned.
My issue with this statement is when comparing the average price of a Porsche "enthusiast" sports car versus the average price of a Ford "enthusiast" car... its apples to oranges.
Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
My issue with this statement is when comparing the average price of a Porsche "enthusiast" sports car versus the average price of a Ford "enthusiast" car... its apples to oranges.
The point I was trying to make was that Porsche felt there was enough enthusiast demand to bring back the manual option for a model they previously eliminated it from.

Ford still sells a lot of manual enthusiast cars. Until it gets to the point where it is costing them money I don't see why they would eliminate the manual option. For years I have been hearing the manual is going away, and while that may be true for non-enthusiast cars, I believe there are enough people who want the option that it is in Ford's best interest to keep it.

I don't have the numbers for how the ratio of manual to auto for Mustang GT sales, but I suspect its at least 20-30% manuals.

I know on the lots around me there are at least 2 GT manuals for every auto on the lot (2018). These are dealer ordered cars so they likely expect enthusiasts to demand manual still vs auto.

zillah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT Premium PP
Manual till I die yo. But let me explain...

My problem with the autos in the Mustang is that they are just so unexciting.

They don't shift as fast as a DSG, even in Sport+ mode. Even if the delay is still faster than manual, it still feels underwhelming. There isn't a true manual mode to force red lines and lugging without a tune.

And the icing on the cake is that the paddles them selves are puny. There is no satisfying interaction between the driver and the paddles. Shift isn't as satisfying in sport+/track mode as it should be. The paddles aren't of high quality like other autos on the market like say...the Alfa Romeo Giulia. Ford should update the automatic with the PP package, making it simulate a more GT4 like experience when sport+/track mode is selected rather than an underwhelming shifting experience one could get in a regular low end sports sedan.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's not the price of the car that matters here.

It's the strength of the enthusiast attitude.

Norm

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
I personally love manual transmissions! With a manual, the man-machine interface is just more involved. Which to me equals a more rewarding driving experience.

It's the small things....sometimes when going under a bridge, I can quick push in the clutch and give the throttle a quick blip to hear my 5.0 bark. :thumbsup:

With an auto...I'd have to move the gear selector to neutral then blip the throttle, then back to 'D' (I wouldn't bother).

A smooth quick downshift with a manual just before intended hard acceleration....instead of the automatic's: press throttle, wait for it, wait for it....bam! Hard downshift...okay now we're accelerating. No thanks, I'll take the manual option every time.

Manual Transmission: "Millennial Anti-Theft Device". :)

Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I personally love manual transmissions! With a manual, the man-machine interface is just more involved. Which to me equals a more rewarding driving experience.

It's the small things....sometimes when going under a bridge, I can quick push in the clutch and give the throttle a quick blip to hear my 5.0 bark. :thumbsup:

With an auto...I'd have to move the gear selector to neutral then blip the throttle, then back to 'D' (I wouldn't bother).

A smooth quick downshift with a manual just before intended hard acceleration....instead of the automatic's: press throttle, wait for it, wait for it....bam! Hard downshift...okay now we're accelerating. No thanks, I'll take the manual option every time.

Manual Transmission: "Millennial Anti-Theft Device". :)
Agreed 100%

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
“Can’t drive a stick? That like unnnn-manly!”:lol:

Love that clip!

unload

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Manual till I die yo. But let me explain...

My problem with the autos in the Mustang is that they are just so unexciting.

They don't shift as fast as a DSG, even in Sport+ mode. Even if the delay is still faster than manual, it still feels underwhelming. There isn't a true manual mode to force red lines and lugging without a tune.

And the icing on the cake is that the paddles them selves are puny. There is no satisfying interaction between the driver and the paddles. Shift isn't as satisfying in sport+/track mode as it should be. The paddles aren't of high quality like other autos on the market like say...the Alfa Romeo Giulia. Ford should update the automatic with the PP package, making it simulate a more GT4 like experience when sport+/track mode is selected rather than an underwhelming shifting experience one could get in a regular low end sports sedan.
just my opinion/experience but I just picked up a A10 and it shifts as fast or faster than my last 3 cars

C7 (not a dsg/dct) (A10 quality as good or better)A10 Shifts faster
Audi S - great quality not any faster shifting than A10
BMW M -great quality not any faster shifting than A10

considering all of those vehicles cost more, id say ford did a really good job in 2018

I am with you on the manual ride but i work that out fast on 2 wheels so the car auto lets me chill a little.

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
The A8 in the C7 is pretty bad. Chevy needs to find a way to get the 10 speed in the C7...

Checheco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I think manuals are doomed due to several factors, aside from the performance mentioned above, I thinks is a generational emotional, or call it romantic idea from people that grew up knowing how bad auto sucked that are trying to hold on to them. I count myself on that group. But as we age, traffic is getting worse, and add the fact that there is a phone to tend to or whatever distraction, the pure driving experience is getting diluted or being morphed into a commuting task. I don’t need an MT to commute.

Last time I had to choose a car I experienced how limited my choices were, but I was determined to row my gears. Now I have to confess next time around I am giving serious thought to go auto, That also opens up a lot more choices. But I live in Florida, a flat state with no winding roads or places where to enjoy an MT, if I lived in California it would be a different scenario :)

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I don't get auto owners who also want manuals to go away because they don't either know how to drive one or don't want to.
I know how to drive a manual, I just take joy in knowing that all the stick pricks who think they are better than their auto brothers are in fact a dying breed. I'm not impressed when someone can drive a manual, I'm impressed when they aren't defined by it and don't look down on someone who drives an auto. The future looks good.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
This reminds me of my 17 yr old nephew whos a cocky little thug. He went in my car and asked me why the car wouldnt start and where the PRNDL was.

In like 10-15 years or so the auto folks are gonna be feeling what MT owners are feeling now when people start to flock towards self driving cars.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
This reminds me of my 17 yr old nephew whos a cocky little thug. He went in my car and asked me why the car wouldnt start and where the PRNDL was.

In like 10-15 years or so the auto folks are gonna be feeling what MT owners are feeling now when people start to flock towards self driving cars.
Self driving cars can't come too soon. Will be great when you can take any lane any time by force with no worry the other car will play chicken with you or not see you coming. And we won't need things like BLIS (or even mirrors). ;)
Sponsored