Sponsored

What do you guys think? Video from CJ adressing tick issue.

TrevorGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
race red 2015 GT
Iā€™ve not heard in person one of these tick, but the 18 I looked at dealership sounded horrible when the salesman revved it to 3000 rpmā€™s. Hit about 2500 and knocked noticeably.

Stormtroopin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Mach 1 on order; ā€˜18 Mustang GT (sold)
Appears to me like he is joining the ranks of the youtubers he mocks by making this video with no firsthand experience with the issue......

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
The tick at idle is not piston slap. The low rpm rattle around 2000 rpm might be piston slap

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I think they are trying to capitalize and get more views on their videos

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
He didn't say anything we didn't already know.
Yeah, I was hoping he'd make some correlation between the tick and an engine failure mode...but no, like the several hundred posts I've read, internet searches, personal accounts still no link. Guess I'll keep searching for this elusive unicorn.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I noticed this video last night right after they posted it. I was wondering if anyone would post something about this.

Well, if CJPP actually takes the time to comment on it, tells you it's a much more noticeable issue in this years model. So, he's right about that. Their guess that it's minor piston slap is mine as well. Mainly because my idling random BBQ tick slowly turned into a constant tick and rattle up to 2,000rpm. He's right about cars going over 100,000miles with no issues, just a very annoying tick.

In mine, Ceratec took care of it.

Last edited:

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I had the 2k rpm slap on my first motor. Heard the typewriter tick a couple of times.

Had scoring on cylinder #3

The new motor I have the typewriter tick and the 2k rpm slap as well, have to bring the car back again to the dealer... Been there over 20 times now...

First motor built in Jan 18 second in June 18....

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Appears to me like he is joining the ranks of the youtubers he mocks by making this video with no firsthand experience with the issue......
He was questioning the YouTubers who didn't even own a Mustang that were making videos.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I had the 2k rpm slap on my first motor. Heard the typewriter tick a couple of times.

The new motor I have the typewriter tick and the 2k rpm slap as well, have to bring the car back again to the dealer... Been there over 20 times now...

I have read a few reports about people with cylinder scoring and yet the naysayers are convinced you are unicorns.

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
Mr. CJ ought to come over and buy my car, tear the engine down and tell us what is happening.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
2019 with a 2k rattle here. No use in doing much about it at this point since there isn't a "fix". I don't want someone replacing a motor with another one when the "fix" hasn't been found.

Have the warranty and extended warranty. Not overly worried about it. It's nearly impossible with the 3.73's to drive "around" it.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Nothing new and no one should be surprised by that. Like any engine on any car, some will fail and need to be replaced. Basically the summary of the video is exactly that. It was quite telling when he mentioned that the ones they have in the garage do not have the tick. I am thinking the vast majority do not. I have been shopping for my Mustang for quite awhile and have listened to many. I have not personally heard it (or the rattle) on any of the dozen or so that I was able to have them start the engines. Maybe some that I did not listen to did have the tick on those lots, Maybe the tick happens or becomes more noticeable when there are several thousand miles on the car and not brand new. Look on the bright side, it will get fixed when Mustang's become EV's. Then It will be a loud hum or buzzing noise that some folks will complain about.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Mazz, I've been watching your videos. To be honest, you got a new small block right?
Honestly, after a couple hundred miles of break in, I'd toss in a bottle of Ceratec, and drive it like you stole it.
Seriously, mine had the tick/slap, and I'm just sick of worrying about it. One bottle of Ceratec and she's quiet as a mouse.
Sponsored