What do I do now? MT-82 Woes

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Have you tried resetting your throttle body? I know it sounds silly, but it made a big difference for me. Car shifts better because of how the throttle operates when going between gears.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wamp

Wamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Have you tried resetting your throttle body? I know it sounds silly, but it made a big difference for me. Car shifts better because of how the throttle operates when going between gears.
No, I didn’t even think of that. I know if I don’t let off the throttle at least half second before clutching in, it locks out. If I left off the gas maybe 1/10s before clutching in, the RPMS will actually raise when I clutch in, and sometimes even bounce off the rev limiter.

I suppose it’s quite plausible throttle behavior affects shifting

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
No, I didn’t even think of that. I know if I don’t let off the throttle at least half second before clutching in, it locks out. If I left off the gas maybe 1/10s before clutching in, the RPMS will actually raise when I clutch in, and sometimes even bounce off the rev limiter.

I suppose it’s quite plausible throttle behavior affects shifting
Throttle body can definitely affect shifting points.

put the ignition to on but do not turn on the car. Let the lights settle, and the. Press the accelerator slowly to the floor for 10 seconds, and then slow bring it back up for 10 seconds. Then turn off the ignition, and then turn the car on. That usually does a reset on the throttle body.

OP
OP
Wamp

Wamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
All,

TL;DR: It looks like the friction material on my synchros is worn out, thus they and not engaging fully.

I found several interesting YouTube videos worth sharing. They seem to perfectly explain (in theory) the grind I get at high RPM shifts.

I’m dumb, so if I can actually understand these, anyone might find them helpful. Even if you’re not having trans trouble, these helped me understand overall manual trans and synchro function.

Animation 1: Manual trans animation (6 mins)

Animation 2: Synchro animation (3 mins)

Actual grind demonstration with real worn out sunchros (4 mins)
Sponsored