Sponsored

What did you do to your UK S550 Mustang Today

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
on the roush 18 design you shouldn't really be taking a hit at all its designed as a closed unit and reuses the air feed from the grill anyway so it should be exactly the same as stock but larger. their whole premise of this design over the open top filters is it was to keep iat's down.

obviously its a bad design though if its as full of leaks as you say.
Sponsored

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Magnetic Grey, Magneride
Vehicle Showcase
Today I modified the Roush 2018 intake to seal up all the vacuum leaks I found, which figured were causing my very high (83c) idle temperatures.

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed in the overall design and it's a real shame that Roush didn't include the necessary gaskets to keep the temps low during idling/stop and go traffic. The biggest leak I found was from the front grill intake - you can see in the 'before' picture that due to the design (the Roush intake loosely fitting over the grill inlet), the intake is actually sucking in hot air directly from the radiator.

In total, I had epoxy fill 3 holes in the airbox, apply foam around the circumference of the MAF pipe and then apply foam around the Roush grill intake section to bring the temperatures to anywhere near stock.

Before the modifications, the intake temperatures would slowly rise further and further until reaching extremely hot temps (for which Roush confirmed in an email were "totally normal". During one test I recorded an IAT of 83c.

After the modifications, I'm now seeing stock-like temperatures at idle. I don't think the seals I created are perfect, so they're still not quite stock... but they're far below the temperatures I was seeing before modification.

I've included graphs of stock (green), Roush before mods (blue) and Roush after mods (purple). Bare in mind the Y axis is auto scaled.. unfortunately the software used to analyse these logs leaves a lot to be desired. For each test, I drove the same route (4 mile round trip from my house), with similar AAT and then idled outside my house for about 3-4 minutes before stopping the logs. It's definitely not a perfectly scientific comparison, but the difference is so great that it doesn't really matter.
IMG_20180825_153945.jpg
IMG_20180826_142020.jpg
MVIMG_20180826_131740.jpg

Stock:
stock.png

Roush 2018 intake:
roush.png

Roush 2018 intake with modifications:
roush+mods.png

Last edited:

MrHanky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
S550
Thanks for the very detailed replies Drewzh.
Doesn’t sound like a very well thought out kit at all which is a shame.

Mark

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was worried too especially with the humid heat we had the last couple of months had aircon blowing on it full whack then turned it off got out of car and ping as soon as the door opened it was instantly covered in water droplets especially around its silver lip but it seems to have not effected it at all. Its got to be low voltage as its powered by odb2 port so it seems fine. Heat shouldn't effect it at all in winter as that'll dry it out if anything.
Today I plugged up the vent behind the nGauge to stop any potential temperature issues (temperature differential or condensation). I trust all the vents are interconnected so this won't be an issue. I purchased an A5 rectangle of thick foam from Amazon for ÂŁ3 and cut it in half for each section of the vent.
MVIMG_20180826_144150.jpg

Last edited:

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
:cwl:I think that vent is connected to piston number 5.... it won’t be able to breath so you’ll be down on power.....:)

Sponsored

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
:cwl:I think that vent is connected to piston number 5.... it won’t be able to breath so you’ll be down on power.....:)
Every sense tells me you're joking, but yet I'm still inexplicitly feeling concerned! #verygullible

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Every sense tells me you're joking, but yet I'm still inexplicitly feeling concerned! #verygullible
I was only joking....

It’s piston number 6:devil:

AndyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2006GT
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got around to de-chroming, now ready for a proper clean and detail next week.

dechrome.jpg

Andy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 race red gt
Finally got around to de-chroming, now ready for a proper clean and detail next week.

dechrome.jpg
Picked up my 5.0 black badges last week in las vegas at CJ Pony parts ready for when my 2019 GT arrives in 6 weeks

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
Finally got round to doing this at the weekend
aaa.jpg

Sponsored

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
That really pops ! Nice Mod.
Thanks never been a fan of the English GT Badge Prob never would have changed it if we got the US version but its good to be diff lol Still seem to have loads to do in my head to her ,but generally getting there with how she looks now .

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
First job on the Mustang done. Fitted a dash cam.
Chose a Mio MiVue 751 front & rear camera's. Front records in UHD 1440p and rear in 1080p.
Easy installation. Took the power from USB port on console which is ignition live. The cigar socket is permanent live, so using a USB adapter in that I can transfer the cable across when I want to leave the cameras recording in park mode. All the cabling routed within the headliner, look less than half an hour.
IMG_20180905_171620.jpg
IMG_20180905_171704.jpg
IMG_20180905_172006.jpg
IMG_20180905_171508.jpg
IMG_20180905_171531.jpg
IMG_20180905_171822.jpg

AndyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2006GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just FYI you may want to reconsider placement, regardless of it restricting your visibility being inside the wiper area technically makes it illegal so you don't to risk anyone using it as an excuse for not paying out in the unlikely chance of an accident.

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
From drivers point of vision it sits just under rear view mirror ( which is rather large on the Mustang ). When driving the screen is blank , but does display actual miles per hour, this is a bit easier to read than the dash speedo, probs more accurate too. I have seen others fit them in part of the screen behind mirror. On the Mustang they have a sensor fitted so must not obstruct that. Also if fitted to screen not within wiper path, then the camera vision is obstructed, rain, bugs, dirt etc. For me, I'm happy where it is.
Sponsored