Sponsored

What did you do to your Aussie S550 today..

Sponsored

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Hey Kris, looking good and great to see a new poster.

El Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Fitted my Roush axle-back over the weekend. On that first start up; wow, what a noise!

When I got my H-Pipe installed I could tell it made a little deeper tone and slight increase in volume if I paid attention. This Roush, on the other hand, has - completely - transformed the sound of the car. I am still totally surprised at how much more noise it makes even just under partial throttle. Everything I've read about it mentions how much it howls at the top end, so I was expecting that, but I think the relative difference is greater than I was expecting between 2-3000rpm.

The crackle on overrun is now so very noticeable as well - one item that seems to be glossed over and was surprising to me as well.

The only downside is some drone around 17-1900rpm, so I've been playing with speed and gear changing to minimise that and find the sweetspot for cruising.

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
The Roush Axle back is wicked. I think you might find that drone ya hearing will go away once it's burnt in. As I remember I think it took 500km or so. Not a single hint of drone with mine. Also not sure if you have removed the sound tube. I have and recommend you do the same. Enjoy

Sponsored

El Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Sounds like a good enough excuse to go on a 500km roadtrip to me!

I haven't removed the sound tube yet, but I have been thinking about it and now it'll be the next item on the list of things to do. If I was more organised I could have done it while fitting the exhaust since it was up on the hoist, but oh well. It's almost more fun to do it bit by bit :)

El Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
The Roush Axle back is wicked. I think you might find that drone ya hearing will go away once it's burnt in. As I remember I think it took 500km or so. Not a single hint of drone with mine. Also not sure if you have removed the sound tube. I have and recommend you do the same. Enjoy

You were absolutely right - I did the 5 minute removal of the sound tube (just the quick and easy part visible in the engine bay) - and the drone is gone! Or perhaps it would be better described as resonance than drone.

Still also enjoying the lovely new sound :)

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
The Mustang had it's annual checkup today. I hate taking my cars in for service, I take so much care of them that handing the key and control over to a complete stranger is not an experience I enjoy. Got the car back with with a clean bill of health, and joy of joys, they didn't was it. Although my friendly little note, as well as the request being printed on the job card, may have had something to do with it. :cwl:

IMG_E4756.jpg

They did however charge me for an air filter, annoying as the car has AEM filter fitted. To their credit, they noticed the mistake before I did and have issued me a credit. No biggie, especially when considering some of the mistakes that have been made over the years by this dealer.
Sponsored