Sponsored

What actually is California emissions???

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
So short story is that I found out this morning that our new truck has to be the california emissions standard due to the state adopting those standards.
Dealer changed the order it was no big deal.
but that got me thinking about what the actual difference is????
I have searched randomly throughout the day and I cannot find a definitive answer as to the changes besides it having a longer warranty on the emissions equipment.
Is it a startup tune? Different cats? Nothing but the warranty?
Whenever you search all it will say is that the standards are stricter but not what that means is different on the car.
Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I've always wondered that as well?
I was always under the "assumption" that is was just the regular emissions standards? I guess not.

OP
OP
Louk

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The 10hp the mach1 lost for 2022. That.

But to see it in action this is an introductory guide.

Sponsored

joez3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Back when this got started there were a lot of differences. From little thing like you need a pvc in Cal but not anywhere else. To big things like you couldn't get some engines/transmissions combos in Cal. The last car that you couldn't get in Cal but was for sale outside the state was a special Camaro. It had copper(?) in the break pads, the dust was the problem.
There was also an up charge to get a Cal car, the last few cars I brought didn't have the additional charge. Now a days I can't find a difference, plus many states are using the Cal standards.

OP
OP
Louk

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
I’m not sure about it it either. For 21 the trx had one standard and for 22 they switched to the two. Not sure what they had to change for it. I’m going to just assume at this point it’s nothing but a code on the door panel.

Qckslvr

fiercely mediocre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
The main difference I am willing to bet is the cat converters. Non-CA cars mostly don't have a C.A.R.B. EO number stamped on them. They are the same cats..... just cost 4 times more because they have an EO number stamped on them. I had a long chat with Magnaflow over this topic while trying to source replacement cats here in CA for customers. C.A.R.B. .... another way to fleece more tax money. This mostly applies to newer vehicles.
Sponsored