Sponsored

What’s your plan when your warranty expires?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Interesting...

I'm still highly likely to get the powertrain extended, but def not going to baby the car! Fingers crossed I never need it.
Yes, I am considering it as well but at a reduced mileage. Increasing the duration and keeping the miles in the lower tiers makes it much more affordable.

In the event of an engine issue, like oil consumption, I would tend to do a rebuild as opposed to a warranty engine replacement (due to numbers matching).
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
From a consumables perspective, that's maintenance. The GT350 was designed to be a track car. The warranty covers track use. The Track Attack cars go through regular track use and are properly maintained. They have had minimal issues with their cars because the car is designed for that kind of use.

That whole stigma about track use......
Yup, my car was designed for track use - kind of. .. once I replaced a bunch of parts it's even more designed for track use and I can drive on the track for more than a handful of minutes at a time now.

But that's not what we were talking about. We were talking about whether an extended warranty is a good value for the money. And that's why I was saying value doesn't matter too much, because we are all spending a lot more than we would need to just based on what we enjoy doing.

While I get your point about stigma.... Do you really think the odds of mechanical failures are the same for street vs track use even when the car is built for track??
Look at the maintenance schedule and you will see that you are recommended to change things like belts out much more frequently if you use the car on the track. For sure it's more likely you will get failures more quickly with a lot of track use. The car is built to take track use, but that use still accelerates wear.

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
I suppose some will find value in an extended warranty and some won't. At least we have the option.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If the engine doesn't fail in those three years you are out $3,000 for nothing except peace of mind.

Heck - I don't know why I'm arguing about this, whether extended warranties are a good deal or not, the smarter financial decision would be not to buy any performance car and definitely not to take it to the track. We are all spending on a fun hobby that we enjoy more so than making "smart financial decisions".

And I'd rather put that $3,000 towards an engine rebuild, god forbid.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If it is out of warranty and engine blows, and you can't afford the FPC 5.2 you might try the 5.2 CPC Aluminator as a replacement. It has a lot more horsepower and it might be better built. You never know.

https://www.jegs.com/p/Ford-Perform...L-Aluminator-XS-Crate-Engine/4063244/10002/-1

Thing is though you're probably not destroying the entire engine if something happens. It'll probably be a crank sprocket or a cam phaser or something like that. Okay, if you drop a valve, ouch, that's gonna suck. But a top end refresh is probably not going to be a gazillion dollars. Sure a few thousand but that's way better than paying for a completely new engine plus install and tuning.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Thing is though you're probably not destroying the entire engine if something happens. It'll probably be a crank sprocket or a cam phaser or something like that. Okay, if you drop a valve, ouch, that's gonna suck. But a top end refresh is probably not going to be a gazillion dollars. Sure a few thousand but that's way better than paying for a completely new engine plus install and tuning.
I am just saying replacement could be a alternative

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes, very few engine "failures" have been rod through the block type of catastrophic failures. Most are oil consumption, which doesn't have to be minor, but it leaves quite a few good parts remaining.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Are we pretending the only reason to get a warranty is if you can "afford" to fix it? If the engine costs 25k and the power train warranty is 3K for 3 years additional coverage to me that is pretty easy math, especially since I track my car. To me that is "good" financial planning.
I am not sure about your math, but it is hard for me to write a check to an insurance company for $3,000 for a "just in case" thing. Do you track at the Monticello Motor Club or go upstate to Watkins Glen?

There is no correct answer here: Some guys risk assets for financial gains, and some guys would rather buy insurance (which is called a hedge on Wall St.).

Most racers and track guys are not risk averse: They seek risk on every lap. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I am not sure about your math, but it is hard for me to write a check to an insurance company for $3,000 for a "just in case" thing. Do you track at the Monticello Motor Club or go upstate to Watkins Glen?

There is no correct answer here: Some guys risk assets for financial gains, and some guys would rather buy insurance (which is called a hedge on Wall St.).

Most racers and track guys are not risk averse: They seek risk on every lap. :thumbsup:
You don't have health insurance?

Not all risks are the same

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
You don't have health insurance?
I have family health insurance. It's not fair to compare your car stuff problems to someone that has MBC. It's not my girls but someone that was close to us:
  1. Health insurance is important.
  2. Life Insurance is important for guys with dependents.
  3. Property insurance is important to guys that own a house.
The importance of warranty insurance is last on the list.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I have family health insurance. It's not fair to compare your car stuff problems to someone that has MBC. It's not my girls but someone that was close to us:
  1. Health insurance is important.
  2. Life Insurance is important for guys with dependents.
  3. Property insurance is important to guys that own a house.
The importance of warranty insurance is last on the list.
Im not even sure what point you are trying to make. An extended warranty can make perfect sense depending on your situation and can make more sense than not having one.

You could argue a price point that makes sense.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
And a warranty for a car that gets tracked heavily is a hell of a lot more important than a Starbucks queen, and at the same price, a relative bargain.

I happily paid $3200 to not worry about anything on my R for 8 years, and if I sell it after 5, the next guy will pay more for that full 3 year coverage.
Sponsored