Sponsored

What’s your plan when your warranty expires?

PhillyShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
K
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black GT350
My first one shit the bed. Ford replaced it then I sold the 2nd one before it did the same. Values will tank for GT350's once the warranty expires. Nobody wants to pony up for a potential engine disaster.
Ford replaced your lemon, gave you a brand new Shelby, and you sold it? You do realize that car would still be under warranty... And at this point you were so fed up with Ford you decided to buy a Raptor? :facepalm:
Sponsored

vancouver_voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
GT350 2019
I’m planning but not decided yet to get the extended warranty. I plan to keep this car and daily it with occasional track days. Also plan to take it for a couple road trips. This is a car I want to keep so in the future when all we have is hybrids and electric cars I can show off this pure V8 engine.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
5 years left on 7/100,000. If car otherwise in great shape would be cheaper to replace engine or even consider 5.2L with CPC than buy new but depends on what's out there then. Would not sell just because out of warranty.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
That some kinda macho stance? Lol
It's actually good financial planning. You should never buy a car that you can't afford to fix after the warranty ends.

Sponsored

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
I have 1 year left on my powertrain (purchased April 2015)
Hopefully I'll be in a new car before that happens even though my little turbo has been fine no matter how hard I beat her.
I hope it's not like concrete bridges that show no signs of failure until it becomes catastrophic.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
It's actually good financial planning. You should never buy a car that you can't afford to fix after the warranty ends.
Are we pretending the only reason to get a warranty is if you can "afford" to fix it? If the engine costs 25k and the power train warranty is 3K for 3 years additional coverage to me that is pretty easy math, especially since I track my car. To me that is "good" financial planning.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Are we pretending the only reason to get a warranty is if you can "afford" to fix it? If the engine costs 25k and the power train warranty is 3K for 3 years additional coverage to me that is pretty easy math, especially since I track my car. To me that is "good" financial planning.
If the engine doesn't fail in those three years you are out $3,000 for nothing except peace of mind.

Heck - I don't know why I'm arguing about this, whether extended warranties are a good deal or not, the smarter financial decision would be not to buy any performance car and definitely not to take it to the track. We are all spending on a fun hobby that we enjoy more so than making "smart financial decisions".

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If the engine doesn't fail in those three years you are out $3,000 for nothing except peace of mind.

Heck - I don't know why I'm arguing about this, whether extended warranties are a good deal or not, the smarter financial decision would be not to buy any performance car and definitely not to take it to the track. We are all spending on a fun hobby that we enjoy more so than making "smart financial decisions".
Why is that?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Why is that?
Because track days and consumables are expensive. Running a car on the track also accelerates wear on the car. If you are trying to save money, going to the track is not the way to do it.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

Well insurance is peace of mind. I think everyone knows that. Think risk versus cost. I am already on my second transmission to me the 3K versus the downside expense is justified ESPECIALLY if you track your car.

If its not for you that is fine but lets not pretend insurance never makes financial sense.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Because track days and consumables are expensive. Running a car on the track also accelerates wear on the car. If you are trying to save money, going to the track is not the way to do it.
From a consumables perspective, that's maintenance. The GT350 was designed to be a track car. The warranty covers track use. The Track Attack cars go through regular track use and are properly maintained. They have had minimal issues with their cars because the car is designed for that kind of use.

That whole stigma about track use......

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
While I get your point about stigma.... Do you really think the odds of mechanical failures are the same for street vs track use even when the car is built for track??

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
While I get your point about stigma.... Do you really think the odds of mechanical failures are the same for street vs track use even when the car is built for track??
I asked that very question about the track attack cars to JR, who is an instructor in Tooele. He told me the only failures they have observed that were catastrophic was oil line related (oil starvation) of one vehicle due to a defective oil line (that was part of the recall). Those cars have about 5-7000 miles of hard track use. Likewise, I can think of stories around here where people who don't track have sudden loss of oil pressure due to an OPG or loose filter.

Honeybadger's engine thread is a good example as well. He tracks the piss out of his car and has recently tore his engine down for a refresh. It was surprising how little wear that engine exhibited. I think the only issues he found was in the OPG and a valve spring. Otherwise, a very good engine considering.

So, I believe that if the car was designed and built for the track and people are afraid to use it because they think they will wear it out, they are cheating themselves out of the reason you would buy a car like this. Just maintain the vehicle. Drive it within the specifications that it was designed for and you shouldn't experience any premature failures. Change the fluids before and after (engine, trans, diff, brake fluid, etc). Otherwise, why not just buy a GT or something else more common?

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Interesting...

I'm still highly likely to get the powertrain extended, but def not going to baby the car! Fingers crossed I never need it.
Sponsored