Sponsored

Wet Driving

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
I have Michelin PSS's on the front and NT555 G2's on the rear. The steering and front end grip is great. The rear end is desitively frolicksome if you're injudicious with the skinny pedal -- more so than the factory Pirellis ever were.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I've been driving Mustang V8's since 1969 in all sorts of conditions including rain, snow, and ice and on all sorts of tires including summer tires on snow/ice. Assume you don't have traction or enough tread depth to prevent hydroplaning until proven otherwise has worked for me. When you "test" for traction use common sense and only test at low speed in a straight line.

Zimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6
Just keep the traction control on and don't be a dumbass flooring it around a corner and you'll be fine haha.

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Both the stock Pirelli P-zero summer tires and the Nero A/S tires are pretty atrocious for wet traction. Yes you have to drive for the conditions, obviously, but having a better tire on the car makes a world of difference.
tirerack rates the Nero A/S wet traction = good / 8.0. Winter & noise rating is not as good.

OP
OP
panhandler62

panhandler62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's mostly culture shock. It will probably wear off over time. :)

My last car was a G37. It had pretty similar performance, but it was an all wheel drive, so a bit more docile.

I haven't spun her around like a dork or anything... I was just surprised at how incredibly easy it is to break the rear loose on wet pavement (they get a bit chirpy on dry pavement if you get silly too... lol.)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
tirerack rates the Nero A/S wet traction = good / 8.0. Winter & noise rating is not as good.
You realize those are consumer ratings, not Tire Rack's?

The Nero in 235/50R18 has pretty poor wet weather performance on this car. Changing to a different tire, even on the same size, does wonders.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I've been driving Mustang V8's since 1969 in all sorts of conditions including rain, snow, and ice and on all sorts of tires including summer tires on snow/ice. Assume you don't have traction or enough tread depth to prevent hydroplaning until proven otherwise has worked for me. When you "test" for traction use common sense and only test at low speed in a straight line.
This ↑↑↑ . Like DickR, most of my driving has been without today's electronic driving assistances, and it absolutely is possible to drive a powerful car in bad conditions if you've got the requisite amount of self discipline.

Know your car, its tires, and their limits. Know how to make very fine, gradual throttle adjustments and gentle brake applications - gentle enough that you can feel the beginnings of the car starting to "come unstuck", a little slipping or sliding that you can still correct for before it explodes into a full-blown spin. Expect like it was instinct that the car will to try to snap-spin in the opposite direction once you've "caught" the first direction of tailhappiness especially in or exiting a corner.

Norm

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You realize those are consumer ratings, not Tire Rack's?

The Nero in 235/50R18 has pretty poor wet weather performance on this car. Changing to a different tire, even on the same size, does wonders.
I clicked into the actual tirerack rating and found this. Good tire but not the best.

Testing Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires

The Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season rounds out the group with reasonable ride and handling, along with good snow traction. But it doesn't seem to have quite the wet traction we remember from past tests, however.

August 03, 2012

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I clicked into the actual tirerack rating and found this. Good tire but not the best.

Testing Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires

The Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season rounds out the group with reasonable ride and handling, along with good snow traction. But it doesn't seem to have quite the wet traction we remember from past tests, however.

August 03, 2012
Right. Even the Goodyear here (which comes on th V6 and some EB Mustangs) is quite a bit better:

"The P Zero Nero All Season rounded out the group with noticeably lower overall traction than the others."
"Conclusion: A nimble and sporty tire for drivers who need some traction in the snow but don't put a big emphasis on wet grip"
pzero_nero.JPG
pzero_nero_2.JPG

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
IDK, I never had any weather modes and never really had much if any issues with the P Zero Corsa on my Laguna Seca.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Right. Even the Goodyear here (which comes on th V6 and some EB Mustangs) is quite a bit better:

"The P Zero Nero All Season rounded out the group with noticeably lower overall traction than the others."
"Conclusion: A nimble and sporty tire for drivers who need some traction in the snow but don't put a big emphasis on wet grip"
stopping distance seems a good proxy, although there isn't that much difference from best to worst, to deploy the word atrocious.

Nero has the top score for (dry) slalom and lap times.

either way, I keep the RPM's down when the roads are wet, and plenty of space to any cars in front. Traction depends a lot on road surface. Some of the roads around here, I can spin in 3rd gear. On dry asphalt.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Running the AS Nero's atm(came with the car brand new) in the Performance pack sizes... wet roads make me extremely nervous. Car just doesn't feel connected with the road at all, almost like its on grease or oil. So it stays in "Normal" mode and I'm easy on the gas and slow around corners. Way to easy to break loose.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
This ↑↑↑ . Like DickR, most of my driving has been without today's electronic driving assistances, and it absolutely is possible to drive a powerful car in bad conditions if you've got the requisite amount of self discipline.

Know your car, its tires, and their limits. Know how to make very fine, gradual throttle adjustments and gentle brake applications - gentle enough that you can feel the beginnings of the car starting to "come unstuck", a little slipping or sliding that you can still correct for before it explodes into a full-blown spin. Expect like it was instinct that the car will to try to snap-spin in the opposite direction once you've "caught" the first direction of tailhappiness especially in or exiting a corner.

Norm
not much else to say. If you drive a RWD car like your throttle is a light switch, you will crash eventually. Learn to squeeze the throttle and feel the tires, and you will be able to navigate through near any situation.
Sponsored