Sponsored

Well I did it... i effed up my shift knob swap and now need a new shifter.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I have a '16 so it now just says "sync" instead of '15 "sync by microsoft"
First, good luck with either getting it off or replaced.

But ... where can I get a replacement bezel for my '15. I hate that Sync by Microsoft. Sync would be preferable (or an aftermarket that was blank).
Sponsored

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
update - got a pipe wrench. i got maybe half a turn out of it before the entire assembly itself started to turn.

so i'll just leave it to the professionals. BUT that means the reverse lockout, and my boot will basically have to be cut off for me to get it off.

I tried searching on levittown, but gave up. I'm going to need a new boot and the chrome retainer around it (that also broke - seperated from the bottom half. for a redline interior. if someone can find a part number that would rock. I have a '16 so it now just says "sync" instead of '15 "sync by microsoft"

So what you can do in that case is put some vice grips on the bottom assembly and work the knob back and forth with the pipe wrench.

Barry626

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang 2.3L
So totally separate question... Sorry OP, but I noticed your car has "Shaker" painted in white. Do you have the 401A package with the upgraded stereo? I do, and mine isn't white font.
I have 401A package and mine is white also. Guessing because it's 2016?

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I have 401A package and mine is white also. Guessing because it's 2016?
Discussed a few pages back I believe. It's a change for 2016. I'd actually prefer mine to say nothing at all.

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe someone installed the knob with Locktite. The knob should not be that difficult to remove under normal circumstances.
I collect firearms and my personal rule is blue Loktite only. I have replaced parts that were factory red Loktite installed. It can be a bitch under the best circumstances breaking the red. Blue Loktite does the job and allows for easier part removal. I'm sure the stresses on my semiautomatic firearm parts is far greater than anyone will put on a shifter knob. Heat helps with the removal.

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium
2) For disassembly, heat parts up to 482°F (250°C) and separate parts while hot.

Try removing shifter assembly from vehicle - and use butane torch to heat shifter shaft below the ball - once heated, see if you can remove the ball.

Got it off!!!!!!:lol:

OP
OP
TheDivaDanielle

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
^^ this forever.

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium

Sponsored
OP
OP
TheDivaDanielle

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
yeah, this is going to get resolved cleanly. the only OEM thing that is effed and will need to be replaced is the shift boot and chrome trim piece around it. I already ordered a new one and it was $61.

I'm far less stressed about this now. As I explained to my dear spouse last night, I take this f-up very personally, and am really upset. The reason is because I hate it when I have to depend on others, and generally stuff like this is something that I know is in my wheelhouse of knowledge and understanding, but I lack the garage to do the shifter swap, as well as the tools, and well with my leukemia I'm pretty damn weak and get fatigued quicker than normal people.

so i'm more upset than anything that I have to take it to a shop and have them install the shifter, and that I have to destroy an interior piece on a brand new car to resolve what's messed up there.

It's not so much a pride thing, but just a bit of helplessness.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
No one worth your time is going to look down on you. We all make mistakes that would leave most people shaking their heads. The mark of true courage is having the strength to ask for help ;)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Wish I'd seen this a couple of days ago.

Best way to have removed it with the least risk of consequential damage was most likely going to be cutting off the plastic part deep enough to notch the metal insert all the way through. You will damage the threads in the stick, but they can be cleaned up with a die or even just a Grade 8 nut of the appropriate thread. You aren't going to see that thread damage after the new knob is on, and any loss of thread strength here is completely irrelevant. You could still try this either before or after swapping the MGW in.

I don't like having to have somebody else do what I can usually figure out how to do either. Even if I have to think on it a bit first.

At least you should enjoy the MGW . . .

Norm

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
so i'm more upset than anything that I have to take it to a shop and have them install the shifter, and that I have to destroy an interior piece on a brand new car to resolve what's messed up there.
I wouldn't sweat this. MGW shifter is supposed to be nice upgrade and I am interested in how it turns out. Probably make the mod myself before long.
Sponsored