Sponsored

Well I did it... i effed up my shift knob swap and now need a new shifter.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
yeah 550 degrees in a fully assembled brand new car with 120 miles on it.. lets think about that...... when it comes time for the new shifter, I'll just grab the dremel or sawzall and cut the top of the shift arm off.
I wouldn't want to do that either. But if you did, it has strong potential to generate more cool photos for this site. :coolphotos:
:lol:

MGW shifter looks really cool. I think there is another good option that is a little less expensive.
Sponsored

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Puleese don't try to heat that thing up with a torch. I'd be worried about it melting and causing untold damage. But I think you already know that. I like the plan of replacing the shifter and calling it a learning experience.

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
So totally separate question... Sorry OP, but I noticed your car has "Shaker" painted in white. Do you have the 401A package with the upgraded stereo? I do, and mine isn't white font.
Mine is also white. 2016 GT PP with 401A. Maybe a 2016 change..?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Sponsored

xfyre101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`15 CO PP GT
lollololol ...just drive it as is for now... since its not your first manual im assuming you don't need the shifting guide anymore anyway.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
lollololol ...just drive it as is for now... since its not your first manual im assuming you don't need the shifting guide anymore anyway.
that's what I would do. At least get a few thousand miles on the car. They may even get used to it and decide to leave it as is.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Well in my idiocy of not paying attention, and not really thinking about it when installing, I grabbed the red loctite instead of the blue, and boy that sets fast.

It literally completed bonding and would not budge before I could set the shift knob in place 100%. I was about half a turn from perfection when it set.
Quite the "knob job". :doh: (j/k)

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you get your knob from? I got mine as a Christmas gift from CJ's, and it included a single-use tube of Loctite blue, so I didn't even need to worry about going out and buying any.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TheDivaDanielle

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
i got mine from Speed Dawg.

Falconetti

cash me outside howbow da
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 1994 SVT COBRA
get a pipe wrench and if you don't have the strength have someone help you. the pipe wrench will tear up the knob but that seems moot at this point. a pipe wrench and the power will remove it and the sifter should be able to withstand it. Id hate to think about the flakes from a dremel or saws all all over they once car.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
get a pipe wrench and if you don't have the strength have someone help you. the pipe wrench will tear up the knob but that seems moot at this point. a pipe wrench and the power will remove it and the sifter should be able to withstand it.
If that knob is on that tight, and super force is put on it, I'd be afraid the shifter might get damaged somehow. It would be a bitch if something broke and the shifter didn't work right anymore.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
get a pipe wrench and if you don't have the strength have someone help you. the pipe wrench will tear up the knob but that seems moot at this point. a pipe wrench and the power will remove it and the sifter should be able to withstand it. Id hate to think about the flakes from a dremel or saws all all over they once car.
I wouldn't count on that. Good way to need a tow to the dealership