Sponsored

Weak warm/hot starts

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Once yesterday and 3 times today my car has had a very weak hot startup. It feels like it's about to stall but manages to eek up to idle. This is about a week after getting the ticking at idle.

Overnight cold starts seem fine.

It's no hotter out than it has been for the past couple of months.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Might be possible to give you an idea if we knew what car you're talking about.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
^^^It's a 2018 GT from his sig.

To the OP, I've gotten the "weak start" every once in a while (since the car was new). No idea what it is but I haven't had any problems so I'm not going to worry about it.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Michael, IIRC we got our GT's around the same time. Mine had been fine, but it only has approx. 900 miles on it right now. Keep us updated if the service tech finds anything. Good luck.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
^^^It's a 2018 GT from his sig.

To the OP, I've gotten the "weak start" every once in a while (since the car was new). No idea what it is but I haven't had any problems so I'm not going to worry about it.
Thanks, it hasn't done it any more today. My prior car would do this sometimes after sitting a few hours and restarting but this car just started it.

Sponsored

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Mine does this after I get gas and then I start it up. It's never stalled on me and every morning on cold starts it starts up great. It's been like this for me ever since I've got the car.

mks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
My new 2018 GT PP (500 miles) does this as well. Cold starts are normal; however, once the car is warm, any restarts climbs sluggishly to idle. It's consistent. The car is going into Service next week for that ~2K RPM engine clicking/slapping being talked about--I'll ask the tech about the restart issue then.

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
When I hear of trouble with hot starts, my first thought is vapor lock, but it's hard to imagine a modern fuel injected car getting vapor lock.

mks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it has been 112 to 116ish in Las Vegas this past week. But I've yet to experience this in any of my other vehicles I've driven here.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've also noticed a few weak warm/hot starts, in the two months I've had this '18. But it's never stalled or set off any warning indicators. I don't know if it's correlated with outside temperature because it's been 95+ F pretty much every day I've driven it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
My new 2018 GT PP (500 miles) does this as well. Cold starts are normal; however, once the car is warm, any restarts climbs sluggishly to idle. It's consistent. The car is going into Service next week for that ~2K RPM engine clicking/slapping being talked about--I'll ask the tech about the restart issue then.
I have that too. They started at the same time but it's probably a coincidence.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I've also noticed a few weak warm/hot starts, in the two months I've had this '18. But it's never stalled or set off any warning indicators. I don't know if it's correlated with outside temperature because it's been 95+ F pretty much every day I've driven it.
My previous car did it in similar conditions to what I'm getting now. Car sits for a while in hot weather with radiant heat from the sun.

I've not been able to work on cars sitting out in the sun all day. They get up close to operating temps without even having been run.

Perhaps a sensor may be thinking the engine is hotter than it really is?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Yup I get these randomly too especially now in the Phx heat. Wish my cold starts would be weaker Cuz they're soooooo vicious after adding LTH.

GOTdaBLACK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, Shadow Black, MT82D4, PP1
My '18 does the same thing. But, only when she's hot. I believe it has to do with the inlet air temperature. Normal inlet air temperature is low to mid 80 degrees. Once hot, it could rise to 115+ degrees. On a hot start, she sluggishly makes her way to the normal inlet temperature. Note: The decrease applys in a matter of seconds. Thus, not an issue. Or, in a word: Normal.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does this after I get gas and then I start it up. It's never stalled on me and every morning on cold starts it starts up great. It's been like this for me ever since I've got the car.
Check your purge valve . If it is weak or leaking , when you fill up the vapors in your fuel tank will be pushed into your intake . This causes an overly rich condition , causing a stumble or hard restart . Easiest way to check is to take the line off the the purge valve , if you have vacuum at idle the valve is bad
Sponsored