Sponsored

Weak seat motors?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Does anyone else notice that the seat motors are weak in their S550?

Personally, I'd rather have manual seats because I'm constantly having to move it forward/back for my son to get in and out. However, even when new last month, I thought the motors were pretty weak. I weigh 200lbs. but in my Subaru's that's 12 years old the seat goes back and forth no problem. In my Mustang that's less than 2 months old...they sound like they are going to die.

Is this normal and maybe Ford just went with a weaker/inferior motor than Subaru or is this not something I should be experiencing?

Also, is there a kit to make it manual if I want down the road?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

blown302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 mustang gt/2004 svt cobra/2016 GT PP
I agree, on my 2016 GT I have wondered the same.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
It has nothing to do with a "weak" or "inferior" motor and everything to do with you sitting in the seat and expecting it to move as if it's empty. If the seat moves to the correct position, you have nothing to complain about.

The seat motors are designed to move with the weight of an average person, if you exceed that weight then it will move slower. It's a 12V system; if Subaru was dumb enough to install motors that draw high amperage, the system and circuits will fail quickly. Seeing as they can't even keep head gaskets or cam seals in their piece of shit products, that is no surprise.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has nothing to do with a "weak" or "inferior" motor and everything to do with you sitting in the seat and expecting it to move as if it's empty. If the seat moves to the correct position, you have nothing to complain about.

The seat motors are designed to move with the weight of an average person, if you exceed that weight then it will move slower. It's a 12V system; if Subaru was dumb enough to install motors that draw high amperage, the system and circuits will fail quickly. Seeing as they can't even keep head gaskets or cam seals in their piece of shit products, that is no surprise.
Your arguments seem emotionally driven as they don't make factual sense given the info I've shared. Re-read my OP and the strength of the Subaru motors AND how old they are vs. both variables on the Ford.

Also, according to the CDC the average weight of the american adult male is 195.5lbs. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/body-measurements.htm a 4.5lb. difference on my part would hopefully not sink Ford's product. And lets not overlook those of us that are on the higher end of 200 or over 300.

Head gaskets in no way relate to the issue of seat motors.

-Emt1581

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I think they are fine, the mustang seat motors are much faster than my Volvo.
Those seat motors actually make me yell at them, they are so slow.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
They seem fine to me but I only weight 150lbs.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm 210 lbs. and mine sound fine to me. You may be hearing the leather rub against the center console. Mine make a distinct wet far sound as they do... been blamed a few times.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm 210 lbs. and mine sound fine to me. You may be hearing the leather rub against the center console. Mine make a distinct wet far sound as they do... been blamed a few times.
I have a base model so no leather interior.

Thanks for chiming in though.

-Emt1581

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think they are fine, the mustang seat motors are much faster than my Volvo.
Those seat motors actually make me yell at them, they are so slow.
That sounds like something for youtube. :lol:

..."See what you made me do!!" :rant:

-Emt1581

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Reminds me of the VW Passat someone I know has. It's moon roof tilts up on it's own now and then. I told them if someone asks "what happened?" to just say it's the AFD system kicking in.

When they ask "what's an AFD system", they'll say it the "automatic fart detection" system ... at which point they may or may not believe it's a real feature :lol:

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
The seats in my Bronco, Focus, Thunderbirds, etc. were all slow. It's just a general Ford trait with their seats. Also, I think they sub-contract most of their seats out to suppliers and don't make their own.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
This is one of many reasons why power seats are never on my list of reasons I like one car over another. I can move my Recaro seats exactly where I need them immediately. But, I am a simple kink of guy.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is one of many reasons why power seats are never on my list of reasons I like one car over another. I can move my Recaro seats exactly where I need them immediately. But, I am a simple kink of guy.
Freudian slip there?? :gossip:

Personally, I'd be thrilled if I could find a way to make the stock seats manual. I see they sell a manual track kit but it looks like it's for a specific racing seat.

-Emt1581

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Freudian slip there?? :gossip:

Personally, I'd be thrilled if I could find a way to make the stock seats manual. I see they sell a manual track kit but it looks like it's for a specific racing seat.

-Emt1581

You'd have to ask my wife. I think I am normal..LOL
Sponsored