Sponsored

Water spots on plastic.

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
I seem to have what looks like water spots on plastic. My passenger side window switch plastic has the signs of it and no matter what I do nothing seems to help. I noticed the other day while starting for a drive that water was dripping on this panel but I've never encountered that I needed to immediately get rid of it. Very splotchy.
I've used
PS interior
Car pro water spot

nothing

any thoughts or recommendations?

Mach 1

IMG_4812.jpeg
Sponsored

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
That looks more like a cleaner that was too strong was used on it to me. Have you had it detailed somewhere in the past?

OP
OP
MACHtobers Very Own

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
That looks more like a cleaner that was too strong was used on it to me. Have you had it detailed somewhere in the past?
No. actually this is a replacement window switch. A month ago the whole unit was replaced due to the switch breaking. Since then I've only used

P&S interior cleaner
Koche TS

both these chemicals were used on the car/previous panel for an entire year with no issues and since replacing have only had one round of these chemicals used.

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
Hmm neither of those would cause what you see. I was thinking some strong all purpose cleaner that was mixed too hot. I've seen APCs cause trim to turn grey or milky and refuse to use them for interiors.

Does a dressing like 303 turn it darker?

OP
OP
MACHtobers Very Own

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
Hmm neither of those would cause what you see. I was thinking some strong all purpose cleaner that was mixed too hot. I've seen APCs cause trim to turn grey or milky and refuse to use them for interiors.

Does a dressing like 303 turn it darker?
I tried Koche TS and car pro Perl

both eventually dried and the grey/white shines through. )=

Sponsored

OP
OP
MACHtobers Very Own

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
Anybody else? )=

I've owned so many cars and not one have I had to make sure a little water dripping in was immediately wiped away.

I am trying vinegar today but if it doesn't work I'll replace them but very frustrating and likely to happen again.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
No. actually this is a replacement window switch. A month ago the whole unit was replaced due to the switch breaking. Since then I've only used

P&S interior cleaner
Koche TS

both these chemicals were used on the car/previous panel for an entire year with no issues and since replacing have only had one round of these chemicals used.
My guess is when then unit was replaced, the techs used a harsh cleaner to wipe the armrest down. They probably got that grease from the inside of the door panel (window gear grease) on the armrest and ignorantly used brake cleaner or something similar to get it off. Just a theory but it happens. Ask me how i know. 🙄 You might need a new armrest as that one looks "dried out".

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
In looking at your photo, there appears to be a milky residue remaining on the chromed feature along the front of the switch, so it may not be the plastic only.
Your situation reminds me of a similar issue I had years ago when I didn't shake/mix a cleaner/protectant before applying. I kind of got that resolved through buffing. But this is a textured surface, so buffing may produce further unwanted results.

If you are at wit's end, maybe try a heat gun. But I would wait until you are at wit's end, as the results may require replacement. Or you can do what I did....cover it with a CF overlay. I once saw a replacement CF part a year ago, but most are overlays. If you go that route I'd recommend the real CF 1-piece, and not the cheaper 2-piece design.
Left Door Handle and Release Back Panel.jpg

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Like others, my initial thought was this is from using a harsh APC.

I have also seen splotchiness like that caused by rain drops effectively "diluting" areas previously treated with a trim dressing, but that should be easily fixed with a fresh application.

Frankly, that looks like a warranty job, especially considering no harsh cleaners were knowingly used. It's also odd for it to be happening on a singular part of the interior, it would show up in other areas too if the chemical was used across the whole interior.

If no luck raising the issue at dealer level, then you could try a couple of things (do these at your own risk) -

If you can find some for sale, try using the now discontinued Meguiar's M39 on a test section. (It must be M39 and not the similar M40 which has a UV dressing in it.) M39 is pure deep cleaner for un-painted rubber and plastic trim. Apply some to a brush or towel, agitate firmly, then wipe with a clean damp towel. Inspect. If you can't find M39, then Nextzett Plastic Deep Cleaner works in a similar manner.

nextzett Plastic Deep Cleaner - Plastic car interior cleaner (nextzettusa.com)

Failing that, you could try treating a section with a trim restorer like Solution Finish.

Solution Finish - Trim Restorer | The Rag Company

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking some strong all purpose cleaner that was mixed too hot. I've seen APCs cause trim to turn grey or milky and refuse to use them for interiors.
My guess is when then unit was replaced, the techs used a harsh cleaner to wipe the armrest down. They probably got that grease from the inside of the door panel (window gear grease) on the armrest and ignorantly used brake cleaner or something similar to get it off. Just a theory but it happens. Ask me how i know. 🙄
Like others, my initial thought was this is from using a harsh APC.
The above is a reoccuring theme from multiple users.

Add me to the list - I have personally seen white spirit (mineral spirit) and nail polish remover do that to plastics.

I believe certain harsh cleaners / chemicals will reveal some of the fillers in the plastic (talc) and once it's revealed, it can't be hidden again - dressings will only mask it (sometimes not totally), until they wear off / evaporate.

Moving forward, I suspect replacement is the only thing that will keep you happy ... :frown:

WD :like:
Sponsored