Sponsored

Water sloshing noise behind driver seat. Pulled rear seat and standing water below.

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Update solution: Traced leak to crack in seam seal at upper corner of rear window. Very small crack with difficult access unless you remove the glass. Used 3M 08302 clear auto body seam sealer. I found that a plastic drinking straw will tightly fit over the tip. Roll end of squeeze tube like a tube of toothpaste so that it won't burst out back end as it takes quite a bit of squeeze force to push material through flattened straw end. Cut straw about 1" longer than tip. Wedge straw into corner of window and slide it in as far as possible under lip of glass attempting to seal crack all the way to the window sealant. Squeeze as you slowly draw back the straw. Spread as best you can with a straw or use a hammered flat q-tip with cotton removed. Dries very fast. Continue working and it will ball up and make a mess. After it dries, coat with touch up paint matching your paint code.

In case of future failure, create a drainage weep hole in the inner panel. Pull rear seat deck. Pull lower door trim on side with leak. Fold down rear seat onto mover blanket. Pull rear side fascia to expose seatbelt retractor. Remove seatbelt retractor (large torx) and foam insulator. I had a gallon of standing water in the cavity. The convertibles have a drain in this location but the coupes do not. Use a plastic panel removal tool or screw diver to push a hole through the foam seam seal at the lowest possible point. This will prevent future water collection. PITA.

Previous post with symptoms: I have been hearing a water sloshing noise behind the driver seat. Pulled the rear seat to find water in the well on the driver side. I have also seen moisture under the driver side carpet but assumed it was from wet boots. Checked the small window glass and it looks dry. I can feel water with my finger inside the pillar where the seatbelt retractor is mounted. Headliner and upper areas look dry. Has anyone dealt with this? I read that there are pinhole drainage areas for the frame? Is there a diagram of drainage points to clear or basic troubleshooting? I'm assuming there is water in the frame that isn't draining. It probably seeps out at the seatbelt retractor location.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I have been hearing a water sloshing noise behind the driver seat. Pulled the rear seat to find water in the well on the driver side. I have also seen moisture under the driver side carpet but assumed it was from wet boots. Checked the small window glass and it looks dry. I can feel water with my finger inside the pillar where the seatbelt retractor is mounted. Headliner and upper areas look dry. Has anyone dealt with this? I read that there are pinhole drainage areas for the frame? Is there a diagram of drainage points to clear or basic troubleshooting? I'm assuming there is water in the frame that isn't draining. It probably seeps out at the seatbelt retractor location.
Do a search there's been a long thread on this a few weeks ago

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
OP
OP

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Thanks guys. I don't think it's the cyclops brake light as the headliner feels dry. There is water in the driver side quarter panel and I can see where it seeps through the seatbelt retractor area and some seam sealer at the bottom into the cabin and fills the pan under the driver side rear seat. Maybe there's a failed seam seal somewhere but the plastic wheel wells are fully intact and should deflect most road water. I can see a micro-crack in the rain trough at the upper corner of the rear window. I'm not sure it's the cause but if water has no place to escape even a small trickle would eventually fill a panel. What's the solution? Pull the seatbelt retractor and use a tool to scrape away seam sealer to allow the panel to drain like on the convertibles? Dab some marine sealant over the crack and touch up paint? I'm not sure where the drains are on the car and word searching the service manual came up crickets. Maybe water is coming in through the quarter window seal but it visually looks fine. As the water accumulates in the internal quarter panel, it's difficult to observe the leak in real time. Are there leak detection services that use a flir or other device to pinpoint this crap?

topcornerrearwindow.jpg

interiorleak.jpg

mustangdriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Here is something that has worked for me several times. Mix some Dawn and water in a spray bottle. Turn the ignition on, place the HVAC to heat mode, turn the blower on high and close the doors and make sure the windows are fully closed.
Spray around all the glass edges, weatherstrips, body seams and any suspect areas. There
will be enough positive pressure inside to form bubbles at any leak points. I hope this works for you.

Sponsored

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Usually the back window seam leaks water into the trunk not under the back seat cushion. Unless I'm misunderstanding where you are seeing water

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT
When I had a 2002 GT, passenger foot well was very wet after a hard rain. Local Ford dealer eventually determined that there was no sealant for 12 inches or so on the right side of the windshield .
Sponsored