Waste gate new tune required?

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
Was having a problem a couple weeks ago. A normal drive; not pushing to hard but pushing enough and all of a sudden the car had trouble making boost.

Checked all the hoses; clamps; checked the intercooler for holes, etc... Watching the boost gage on my LiveWireTS the boost pressure would flutter and wouldn't hit peak anymore (about 22-23psi) - it maxes out around 15-17psi. No exhaust leaks, nothing we could find (until we dug deeper...)

Ordered a new Turbosmart waste gate 12psi and it came yesterday. Went to install it, took off the heat shield around the turbo - theres the problem. The little clamp around the pin where it attaches - gone and the waste gate arm was just hanging out there.

Put the new waste gate in anyway; pre-loaded it 4 full turns and everything is back to normal.

But - I get mixed information on if a tune is required.

My last tune was last year by Torrie; the only thing new since then is this waste gate - it was tuned for methanol (snow performance stage 3), for the bigger intercooler (ETS), etc...

Do I need a new tune for the 12psi waste gate (stock was what, 7psi?) ?
Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Was having a problem a couple weeks ago. A normal drive; not pushing to hard but pushing enough and all of a sudden the car had trouble making boost.

Checked all the hoses; clamps; checked the intercooler for holes, etc... Watching the boost gage on my LiveWireTS the boost pressure would flutter and wouldn't hit peak anymore (about 22-23psi) - it maxes out around 15-17psi. No exhaust leaks, nothing we could find (until we dug deeper...)

Ordered a new Turbosmart waste gate 12psi and it came yesterday. Went to install it, took off the heat shield around the turbo - theres the problem. The little clamp around the pin where it attaches - gone and the waste gate arm was just hanging out there.

Put the new waste gate in anyway; pre-loaded it 4 full turns and everything is back to normal.

But - I get mixed information on if a tune is required.

My last tune was last year by Torrie; the only thing new since then is this waste gate - it was tuned for methanol (snow performance stage 3), for the bigger intercooler (ETS), etc...

Do I need a new tune for the 12psi waste gate (stock was what, 7psi?) ?

First off if you did nothing but change the wastegate and the car is still making the same boost as when the OEM gate was working properly then no you do not need to tune, call your tuner to verify.
The waste gate spring is there to default the turbo to the spring pressure if the electronic boost controller takes a dump. So now if your EBC goes bad it’ll default to 12 psi (new spring) versus the OEM 7 psi.

Deleted member

Yes you absolutely need a tune for any WGA over a 7psi spring!!!!
Sponsored