Sponsored

Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Wash media is the term used to describe the various forms of mitts, pads and sponges used to perform the contact wash. And boy has this area of detailing come a very long way in the last 15 to 20 years.

Full disclosure, I washed my cars with foam sponges for longer than I care to admit to. But I dare say most would have been the same or continue to do so.

In this thread, I'll cover the different materials and formats of wash media.

IMG-3930.jpg

Wash Media Materials

Foam –

Typically offered at the lower end of the market, foam is cost effective, easy to care for and easily replaced. Although there are some exceptions, you are more likely to cause wash induced scratches and swirls with foam.

cws101.jpg

Wool –

A material used for decades and one many swear by. It’s a naturally soft fiber, environmentally friendly and sustainably produced. It does however tend to grab and hold onto contamination, and personally, I have never really liked wool for this role.

Microfiber –

Effectively the standard material for car washing, microfiber is durable, soft and ideally suited to softer paint or darker colours. It also seems to release contamination more effectively than wool.

Chenille –

This is technically microfiber but arranged very differently, so I'm considering this as a separate material. These items are the noodle-style wash mitts and pads.

Wash Media Types

Sponges –

In this case, I’m referring to the foam blocks that are most people’s starting point in detailing. They are cost effective, available everywhere, simple, and easy care for.

Surprisingly, foam sponges are making a bit of a comeback. There are now several specific foam sponges used for rinse-less washing, the cross hatching creates a gridwork of “fingers” that trap, and then release contamination. Koch Chemie have also started offering a sea-sponge looking material, which apparently is extremely good, although its going to take a lot of bribing for me to try one.

Benchmarks – in my case, I only use The Rag Company Ultra Black Sponge, specifically designed for rinse-less washing, but can also be used for soap and bucket washing.

https://detailingshed.com.au/products/the-rag-company-ultra-black-sponge
Ultra Black Sponge | The Rag Company

https://detailingshed.com.au/products/koch-chemie-washing-sponge

IMG-7034.jpg

Wash Mitts –

Available in wool or microfiber, these are effectively worn as a glove. Personally, I don’t like wash mitts, I find them cumbersome to put on and remove. Compared to a wash pad, you need to contort your hand to swap sides as you work section by section.

Benchmarks – there is a lot of variety here, I used the Carpro Microfiber Mitt for many years as its very easy to put on and take off. If you prefer a cuffed wash mitt, then the TRC Cyclone or Ultra would be where I would look, that or the Microfiber Madness DeliMitt is ideal for soft or delicate paints.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collection...ts/carpro-microfiber-mitt?variant=35396543697
CARPRO Hand Wash Microfiber Mitt (carpro-us.com)

https://detailingshed.com.au/produc...e-ultra-wash-mitt-with-cuff-korean-microfiber
The Cyclone Ultra Wash Mitt & Wash Pad Combo | The Rag Company

https://store.primefinish.com.au/collections/microfiber-madness/products/microfiber-madness-delimitt
Microfiber Madness DeliMitt - Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

IMG-4860.jpg

Wash Pads –

Unlike a wash mitt, a wash pad contains an inner foam structure which helps distribute pressure points more evenly. That foam will also hold and release soapy water, especially important if you don’t use a foam cannon to apply soap directly to the car. I like wash pads because they are more flexible, allowing the user to flip the pad as needed. Like wash mitts, wash pads are available in wool or microfiber.

Benchmarks – wash pads seem to be a much of a muchness. I use TRC Cyclone or Ultra series, but Microfiber Madness have good options, I also like Carpro’s DabDab. Again, the Microfiber Madness DeliPad is great for ultra soft surfaces.

https://detailingshed.com.au/products/the-rag-company-the-cyclone-ultra-wash-pad-15cm-x-20cm
The Cyclone Ultra Wash Pad | The Rag Company

https://detailingshed.com.au/products/platinum-pluffle-hybrid-weave-microfiber-towel
The Cyclone Bone Microfiber Wash Sponge | The Rag Company

https://www.waxit.com.au/collection...products/carpro-dabdab?variant=39694032830553
CARPRO DabDab Wash Tool (carpro-us.com)

https://store.primefinish.com.au/co...adness/products/microfiber-madness-delipad-xl
Microfiber Madness Incredipad XL - Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

IMG-6727.jpg

IMG-1403.jpg

Towels –

Many prefer this method, using multiple microfiber towels to wash the car, swapping to a clean towel after finishing each section. This is said to be one of the safest ways to wash your car as a used/dirty towel never re-enters the bucket or returns to the car. In theory, you could do this with mitts and pads as well, although at significantly higher cost. Towels are also the best choice for rinse-less washing, again, a used towel never returns to the bucket or car. You also have the ability to fold the towel in a way that gives you eight different cleaning sides.

Benchmarks – two towels stand out to me for this role, the TRC Platinum Pluffle and the TRC Eagle Edgeless 500. Both are plush and soft towels in a square orientation, which is great for folding into equal sections. The Platinum Pluffle is offered in three sizes, but you want the smallest 40cm x 40cm version for this role. I’m now using the Eagle Edgeless 500 as my rinse-less wash towel.

https://detailingshed.com.au/products/highest-quality-hybrid-weave-microfiber?variant=18460495937593
Platinum Pluffle Microfiber Detailing Towel | The Rag Company

https://detailingshed.com.au/products/eagle-edgeless-500?_pos=1&_sid=f4712f6a3&_ss=r
Eagle Edgeless 500 | The Rag Company

IMG-6198.jpg

IMG-6193.jpg

Tips, Tricks & What to Look For

- Wash media is subjective. Personally, I hate wash mitts, but I can see why some would like the safety net of having a wash mitt and the reduced risk of dropping on the ground.

- For Chenille wash media, these are said to be less effective at cleaning because of how they limit consistent contact with the surface being cleaned.

-With the exception of items used for wheels, I wash and care for wash media like any other microfiber towel. After use, they are machine washed in warm water with Rag’s to Riches, air dried indoors, then stored in airtight containers.

- Along with drying towels, your wash media will be touching the car the most often. As such, investing in high quality wash media is very important. And swap or demote them as needed, they are a consumable!

- Both The Rag Company and Microfiber Madness sell extra-large wash pads, the 10X from TRC and the IncrediPad XL from MM. Be mindful that these pads hold a LOT of water, as result they are very heavy when fully saturated. This can be good or bad depending on your preferences. On smaller cars, these offerings are just too big and cumbersome, on larger vehicles with big flat panels, they offer some efficiency gains.

https://detailingshed.com.au/produc...crofiber-wash-pad?_pos=1&_sid=fdb42d015&_ss=r
The Cyclone Ultra 10X Microfiber Wash Pad | The Rag Company

https://store.primefinish.com.au/co...ess/products/microfiber-madness-incredipad-xl
Microfiber Madness Incredipad XL - Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

IMG-0177.jpg

IMG-5463.jpg

- When filling buckets, I add a generous slug of soap directly to the wash pad rather than into the bucket itself. This allows you to fill the bucket properly without ending up with a half full bucket and an overflow of suds. (This method is mostly reserved for those who apply the soap via a foam cannon……….in other words, the single bucket method.)

IMG-6025.jpg

IMG-2810.jpg

- Always, always have separate wash media for wheels. These small mitts are brilliant for cleaning wheels, about the only time I prefer a mitt over a pad. If you need something smaller, then the Maxshine or Flexipad versions are a good options.

https://detailingshed.com.au/produc...el-mitt-15-x-18cm?_pos=3&_sid=8ea3b7ed1&_ss=r
Cyclone Ultra Wheel Mitt | The Rag Company

https://detailingshed.com.au/produc...sh-mitt-2pcs-pack?_pos=1&_sid=8ea3b7ed1&_ss=r
Lambskin Wheel Mitt | Merino Wool Cleaning Pads | Obsessed Garage

IMG-7564.jpg

IMG-7599.jpg

Happy Washing! :like:
Sponsored

Brooski1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
No mention of the boar's hair brush option. I've used one on my cars painted surfaces for years.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Very good info. I love my TRC mits and pads, got a couple from Gyeon as well. I also got a couple Incredipads and Deli wash pads. The Deli version is SOO soft, very nice on the paint. And the wheel mits are great. I have an entire tote full of clean wash media ready to go in addition to multiple ones full of MF towels :) The black sponge is wonderful for Rinseless. I was very hesitant to use one at first but have come around. I also use DIY detail Legacy sponge too sometimes but I prefer the black one.

Sponsored

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Thankyou DFB for another informative and well written post.
Some of what you say comes down to personal preferences, not doubting your intense interest and experience.

I keep a Bowdens microfibre wash mitt for the vert and my coupe is now the beneficiary of a previously unopened Meguairs wash mitt.

I like them both.

I find one of the most effective ways to maintenance wash a car is to have a set routine. You alluded to this in your maintenance wash summary.
Variations due to local differences eg Queensland sun/tank water etc along with personal preferences ie mitt v glove are all ok as long as you have a routine method, and thanks to you, the right product.

Have too much time on my hands here at the resort, returning to Victoria in March. Plan to get across to Waxit then.

Thanks again.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
As always, a most excellent post, D and I think you covered it very well. One you didn't mention is OG's wash pad. I too hate the "glove" versions, (although I did try the OG one,) but I MUCH prefer Matt's wash pad, at least for the Mustang. (The other two vehicles get the OG mitt, but I use it as a pad. <grin>)

then stored in airtight containers.
Now THAT is over the top, brother! :cool:

and im a little envious of the sink setup you have in your shop too!
You and me both, John!

Have too much time on my hands here at the resort, returning to Victoria in March.
Ray, that is one LONG vacation and man, am I envious!

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
As always, a most excellent post, D and I think you covered it very well. One you didn't mention is OG's wash pad. I too hate the "glove" versions, (although I did try the OG one,) but I MUCH prefer Matt's wash pad, at least for the Mustang. (The other two vehicles get the OG mitt, but I use it as a pad. <grin>)

I need to try the Microfiber Madness wash pads, they certainly look good. Not that I need more wash pads..................... :facepalm:

As for the storage, my garage is not completely sealed from the outdoors, so I need to be mindful of how I store stuff that's going to touch the paint. It's a bit of a faff, but also helps keep towels organized.

IMG-6582.jpg

There are three things that transformed my detailing; a benchmark pressure washer, Swisstrax flooring and the sink! All three are equal in importance for me.

dec166.jpg

dec224.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG-0134.jpg

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Ooops............................:facepalm:

Screenshot-90.png
You will love them. I use the incredipad frequently. The deli is a little too soft at times if you are really cleaning dirty paint but very nice.

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
No mention of the boar's hair brush option. I've used one on my cars painted surfaces for years.
Me too! I've used, and have had, the same boar's hair brushes for over 20 years. I have one for the wheels as well, just has a long handle on it, vs. the block one for the regular washing. I love them. Gets into all the nooks and crannies. Extremely soft, rinses easily, you can shake it out to remove debris, although I have a wash bucket with a grill in it to lay it on. I just don't hear much about these types of brushes, but I don't use anything else. I'm a big fan of them, little pricy to start, but they last forever.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
my garage is not completely sealed from the outdoors
At first I thought you meant that there was an opening to the atmosphere in the garage, D, but now I see you only meant that it's not air-sealed and the extreme temps and humidity are pretty much the same as outside along with the DUST and other crap in the air. (I swear, I don't know WHERE it all comes from but we sure get a good coating in a very short time.)

I imagine the garage situation is probably the same with most of us and it is here, the garage doors do not seal.

I know it's not the first time I've seen it, but man was I once again impressed with that cabinet of containers, OMG, you truly do suffer more from OCD than I! <smiling>

It's a bit of a faff, but also helps keep towels organized.
Another word from Down Under. <grinning> What's a "faff"?

There are three things that transformed my detailing; a benchmark pressure washer, Swisstrax flooring and the sink! All three are equal in importance for me.
In addition to the way kewel stainless sink rig, (single, plastic laundry tub here,) that Swisstrax floor is something of which I am extremely envious. I'd love to duit BUT, it would mean moving ALL the crap out, repairing the sheetrock, and painting FIRST and I have yet to find the motivation for all that. <smile> But damn, I LOVE it!

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8

You and me both, John!

Ray, that is one LONG vacation and man, am I envious!
Retired.
Girlfriend studies at nearby Uni. Only acccomodation available
Sponsored