Warranty VS. Tuning

Kaulpenney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
Just got a 2020 gt and I have like 85k miles on a warranty. Really don’t want to lose it yet. Is there any way to get around this at all with a tune?

Also is it worth losing the warranty? The car is my daily so the last thing I want to do is screw myself over.

D0C6D06B-977E-4838-A35C-BFF88BFD45DF.jpeg
Sponsored

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Congrats on the new car! There are several threads about this subject. I'm having the same dilemma. There doesn't seem to be a clear answer to your question. Most feel that if you have a warranty issue that cannot be linked to the tune - the issue should be covered. If the tune causes a problem, Ford most likely won't cover it. You should check out the Ford performance tune. It should retain the 3 yr 36 mile warranty if installed by a certified mechanic. I'm not sure what this tune does with the powertrain warranty though...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just got a 2020 gt and I have like 85k miles on a warranty. Really don’t want to lose it yet. Is there any way to get around this at all with a tune?

Also is it worth losing the warranty? The car is my daily so the last thing I want to do is screw myself over.

D0C6D06B-977E-4838-A35C-BFF88BFD45DF.jpeg
Congrats on the new S550, looks great!

Don't take the below as any lecture or soap box BS or scare tactics - it's not. I'm just relaying factual info that is available to all of us and passing it along.

What any of us does with our vehicles as far as modifications is our own choice and free will. If something happens from a mod or driver actions, it could or could not be covered under warranty.

---
Ok, so this below snip I’ve posted several times on this site... “Tuning” a Ford vehicle falls under the category of TAMPERING.

If component Part-B fails due to direct correlation to Part-A which was tampered with, such as modifying PCM parameters resulting in engine block ventilation, you have excluded (insert Component X here) from being covered under the 3/36 New Car or possibly the 5/60 Drivetrain Warranties, period.

There is no gray or middle area - it’s black and white.

It doesn’t matter if it was in fact a Ford Performance, a Ralphie or a Susie Tune. A tune is a tune and is by all means software logic that is reconfigured OUTSIDE of the original factory PCM parameters - which is indeed ‘tampering’ with the vehicle, period.

Read the last bullet regarding “Tampering”; then go to next sub-section of “Alteration or Modification” under What is Not Covered Clause:
upload_2020-1-20_16-22-25.jpeg

Oh and if your wondering about the addendum to “racing”, here’s that section too:

upload_2020-1-20_16-26-51.jpeg

With all the technology wrapped up in the modules of the S550, Ford will be able to tell from the recorded module event that the owner wasn’t “grocery getting” when the motor ventilated itself. “Tune it” via an aftermarket programmed tune that goes wrong, again if it blows, Ford can pull the key cycles from the module to determine if the vehicle ever had an aftermarket tune (discussed on here many times).

And here’s the whole “what is not covered blah blah blah”...

WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY?

Damage Caused By:
• accidents, collision or objects striking the vehicle (including driving through a car wash)
• theft, vandalism, or riot
• fire or explosion
• using contaminated or improper fuel/fluids
• customer-applied chemicals or accidental spills
• driving through water deep enough to cause water to be ingested into the engine
• misuse of the vehicle, such a driving over curbs, overloading, racing or using the vehicle as a permanent stationary power source

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company

• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not limited to exhaust and intake systems)

• the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part or software (other than a certified emissions part or software) or any part or software (Ford or non-Ford) designed for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part to fail.

Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or software and performance “chips”.

Your vehicle may allow, enable or facilitate the use of certain non-Ford Motor Company software. Ford is not responsible for the functionality of such software. Ford may disallow, discontinue or modify your ability to use such software at any time without prior notification or incurring any warranty or other obligation. Non-Ford Motor Company software may be governed by End User License Agreement or warranty provided by the software provider. For Ford Motor Company software see End User License Agreement found in the Owner Manual.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ck-Warranty-version-3_frdwa_EN-US_09_2016.pdf

And one more tidbit of info, since many don’t read the fine print regarding the Ford Tune IF wanting to go with a Ford Performance Tune:
The Ford Performance Tune runs concurrently with the 3/36 New Car Warranty. It’s not in addition to, nor does it start after the 3/36 expires. So if anyone seeks a Ford Performance Tune, be sure to review that section within the Ford Performance Tune guidelines very carefully.

OP
OP
Kaulpenney

Kaulpenney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
Congrats on the new S550, looks great!

Don't take the below as any lecture or soap box BS or scare tactics - it's not. I'm just relaying factual info that is available to all of us and passing it along.

What any of us does with our vehicles as far as modifications is our own choice and free will. If something happens from a mod or driver actions, it could or could not be covered under warranty.

---
Ok, so this below snip I’ve posted several times on this site... “Tuning” a Ford vehicle falls under the category of TAMPERING.

If component Part-B fails due to direct correlation to Part-A which was tampered with, such as modifying PCM parameters resulting in engine block ventilation, you have excluded (insert Component X here) from being covered under the 3/36 New Car or possibly the 5/60 Drivetrain Warranties, period.

There is no gray or middle area - it’s black and white.

It doesn’t matter if it was in fact a Ford Performance, a Ralphie or a Susie Tune. A tune is a tune and is by all means software logic that is reconfigured OUTSIDE of the original factory PCM parameters - which is indeed ‘tampering’ with the vehicle, period.

Read the last bullet regarding “Tampering”; then go to next sub-section of “Alteration or Modification” under What is Not Covered Clause:
upload_2020-1-20_16-22-25.jpeg

Oh and if your wondering about the addendum to “racing”, here’s that section too:

upload_2020-1-20_16-26-51.jpeg

With all the technology wrapped up in the modules of the S550, Ford will be able to tell from the recorded module event that the owner wasn’t “grocery getting” when the motor ventilated itself. “Tune it” via an aftermarket programmed tune that goes wrong, again if it blows, Ford can pull the key cycles from the module to determine if the vehicle ever had an aftermarket tune (discussed on here many times).

And here’s the whole “what is not covered blah blah blah”...

And one more tidbit of info, since many don’t read the fine print regarding the Ford Tune IF wanting to go with a Ford Performance Tune:
The Ford Performance Tune runs concurrently with the 3/36 New Car Warranty. It’s not in addition to, nor does it start after the 3/36 expires. So if anyone seeks a Ford Performance Tune, be sure to review that section within the Ford Performance Tune guidelines very carefully.
Thank you appreciate it!

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kaulpenney

Kaulpenney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah the car has a 6 year 85k warranty

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the car has a 6 year 85k warranty
I’m sure there will be a lot of opinions on here but on my 3/36 warranty I waited until about 28,000 miles to do the tune because the car was running fantastic and I have had no issues. With 85,000 you may want to wait a while if it’s your daily driver.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is a daily driver as well.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Yep, the tricky part for both parties is proving whether the off-the-shelf tune caused the damage.

That being said, I always tune, but I also don't drag strip ever, or do high rpm runs often. I always go 3k rpm shifts until the cylinder head temps are warmed up as well.

So my view is, if the engine fails under my usage, it was gonna fail anyway. That being said, since I load a tune, it may make me have to fight with Ford, but I'm not gonna sweat it. I just like the tune for adding a little more pep in the step, especially if I ever need it..

Another key is to follow service recommendations religiously and keep your receipts. If was going to track a lot, or drag strip, I'd def do FP or Roush-type parts from a dealer with warranties. I dont think a stock AED, Lund or PBD tune is gonna grenade a motor, it was either gonna grenade to begin with, or the driver did it.

Sponsored

Hangman77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt350R Heritage
In my time of messing with cars, I finally learned not to modify my daily. It always goes sour.

I mean an exhaust is easy and no problem. Basic stuff.

but i would keep the daily alive and safe. Until you can get another car to daily, then no tune

OP
OP
Kaulpenney

Kaulpenney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
In my time of messing with cars, I finally learned not to modify my daily. It always goes sour.

I mean an exhaust is easy and no problem. Basic stuff.

but i would keep the daily alive and safe. Until you can get another car to daily, then no tune
That’s how I’m feeling about it

turbopk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pk
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT AT
I am with @Hangman77 on this.

If your mustang is 'your' only vehicle and under warranty. Hold off on any mods 'until' you can bring on a second car as a daily.
Hope for the best, "but" prepare for the worst!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I’m sure there will be a lot of opinions on here but on my 3/36 warranty I waited until about 28,000 miles to do the tune because the car was running fantastic and I have had no issues. With 85,000 you may want to wait a while if it’s your daily driver.
Keep in mind that your tune would most likely effect powertrain parts which are covered under the 5/60000.
Sponsored