Sponsored

Warranty policy?

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear many people go for tuning (Cobb etc.) , upgrades (airfilters, exhausts etc) with aftermarket products from day one!

Don't you afraid if the warranty void?

Here in Europe if we "touch" the car within warranty the dealer have the right to refuse warranty (i.e. replacement free of charge) in case of damage, even though the damage is irrelevant.

Is there different warrant policy in US?
Sponsored

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
In the U.S we have whats called the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. Basically the dealer has to prove that the aftermarket part on your vehicle caused the problem you're bringing in the car for (like bringing in the car for transmissions issues and the dealer denies it because of the catback exhaust on your car)

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
From the FTC.Gov

"Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage."
Anyone know if Canada has anything similar as the Manuson-Moss Warranty Act?

unintelligible

V1, VR, Gear Up!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium
In the U.S we have whats called the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. Basically the dealer has to prove that the aftermarket part on your vehicle caused the problem you're bringing in the car for (like bringing in the car for transmissions issues and the dealer denies it because of the catback exhaust on your car)
Which is great, but just to play devil's advocate, what if they do it anyway?

Customer: "My transmission is grinding and the clutch is slipping."
Dealer: "Oh, it's because of the catback exhaust you installed."
Customer: "But... Magnuson-Moss."
Dealer: "Go fuck yourself."

Now what? I doubt most people have the cash on hand or time available to support a prolonged legal battle in court against Ford Motor Company, Inc...

Sponsored

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang EB Premium

Now what? I doubt most people have the cash on hand or time available to support a prolonged legal battle in court against Ford Motor Company, Inc...
Sometimes car manufactures will refuse service for reasons like this even if they know that eventually they will have to. The hope is that people will give up and pay because they need their car.

Youngmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt DIB

Lol. I will raise hell but sadly I will most likely lose.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
If you feel you get a raw deal, raise the issue on social media. Try to get a local TV station involved if they happen to have a 'consumer advocate' guy. Little guy getting screwed by Mega corp. makes for marketable news for them.

Basically enough bad publicity can sometimes trump a corporations claim denial (if it is BS).

Sponsored

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
From the FTC.Gov

"Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage."
I talked to the service department of the dealership I bought mine from about a tune. Their response was, if you're going to do it, do a Ford tune and no guarantees that Ford wouldn't reject claims once out of the 36 month Ford racing warranty even if the 5/60 was still applicable. They said after market tunes would have a high probability of problems with Ford warranty.

Here's the problem with the federal law. If Ford rejects the engine claim and it's a several thousand dollar estimate, whats it going to cost in legal fees to fight it? It would probably be cheaper to pay the bill.

My EB came with a lifetime power train warranty at any Ford dealer which is pretty important to me since I'm planning on keeping it a long time and will never race the car. We'll see what happens after Ford releases their tune but right now I have no plans for any engin mods beyond a catch can.

Jim

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

That is when you contact Deysha or Rachel, aka Ford Customer Service, right here on the forums and they will escalate your issue and get you taken care of.

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB

Definitely know people that this has happened to. Had a dealer deny service for water in the headliner because he had run a amplifier power wire through the firewall. Took a week or two of raising hell, but eventually they covered it.

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
My EB came with a lifetime power train warranty at any Ford dealer which is pretty important to me since I'm planning on keeping it a long time and will never race the car. We'll see what happens after Ford releases their tune but right now I have no plans for any engin mods beyond a catch can.
Jim
Do you mean a free lifetime power train warranty? If so, what's the catch?

Biggest concern for me with the EB is that I want to keep the car for a long time but am concerned about direct injection bits and turbos going bad and costing $$$$
Sponsored