Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dariusrudis.net
First Name
Darius
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium - SpongeBob Yellow
WARNING - the BLACK POWDERCOATED catch can issue.

The black powdercoated one does NOT form a good ground, and the black wire underneath the mount is a ground strap. If this strap is NOT grounded properly, it can affect your power (electric) steering, rendering it useless.
Dealership diagnosed the problem, and since UPR catch can is aftermarket, not covered under warranty - GRRRRR!!!
(Had to have the car towed to dealership, as it was undriveable, and then recalibrate the steering rack)

Photo of aluminum (clear) works fine, but the BLACK POWDERCOATED one had issues.
hjHWFGw.jpg

p.s. Already sent an email to UPR about this issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
I cant see the photos -_- is it the dual can side or the single can side? luckily they sent me a raw one instead of the satin I ordered.

Sponsored

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
Interesting...seems a system like that would have a failsafe.

Good info. Sorry you found out the way you did....

AtlasMK5s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost
I see this at my dealership every now and then. The bolt is what grounds the wire not the painted body surface. Modern cars are very picky when it comes to grounds, it causes loss of communication to the pcm and wigs out.

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I'm sorry your seeing an issue with our catch can mounting bracket. As mentioned, you mount the can to the body then the ground on the top side of the bracket. We have thousands of these cans out there mounted in this location and this is the first I am hearing of this. I would like to help you out though.

Please contact us VIA phone as it is a quicker way to go over this. Thanks 561-588-6630

The can in the picture looks like our polished can and not the black one.

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Just a quick heads up as this is a common error for any vehicle as we have seen this with the GM and Mopar as well. The problem is that a bolt running through the center of the ground strap does not ground the vehicle. This is like when we were kids and played the game operation and had to avoid hitting the sides when we were removing or the pcs of the game to not ring the buzzer.

This is the exact same thing with the ground when you try to sandwich it between aluminum and the factory painted surface. It will be like a trigger making poor contact at best. The key to any ground is to be sure the bolt that goes through the ground is against the ground strap directly to eliminate any chance of a ground issue.

We clearly show the ground on top of the bracket so it gets sandwiched by the bolt and makes a positive ground. We use black anodizing and not powdercoating. You should change the catch can to the ground on top as the aluminum will still be able to allow a grounding issue without question.

So thank you for the Update, but please mount the ground on the top to avoid any chance of an issue.

Joe

Sponsored

Pabs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Uhm, I haven't had any issues with it. I think your problem came with putting the mount on top of the ground...

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I have no issues with their catch can. It's trapping a lot of oil which would otherwise end elsewhere.

Pabs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Funny thing is I'm not catching a lot or anything. Three times I've checked and nada. It might have to deal with the heat.
Sponsored