Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully there are some Viper fans here...

So there are 3 different chassis (chassises? chassis's? chassiseseses?) of Viper yet there are 5 different generations. Essentially two generations for the 1st and 2nd chassis and a single generation for the latest one. I would think it should be considered 3 generations total as the chassis did not change in those respective years.

Does anyone know why the Viper is considered to have 5 generations given the info above?
For example: the 2003 and 2008 vipers are considered Gen 3 and Gen 4 with updates being engine, trans, and other small things but sharing the same chassis. Conversely, the 2015 and 2018 Mustangs have different engines, trans, and bodywork but are still both considered Gen 6.

Someone learn me please
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Wait...make sense of a Dodge thing :giggle:

You're right, the 3rd and 4th generations are very close mechanically. The 5th gen has to be separated out because of both the time gap and the change in ownership. You also can't argue that the 5th gen ACR isn't a special vehicle unto itself.

Automakers gonna do what they want. Ford put the Mustang name on a CUV. Dodge can have as many "generations" of Viper as they want, as long as they don't bring it back as a minivan.

That being said...I wish this was real:

V8-Kendall-Dodge-1024x469.jpg

I wouldn't buy one, but it is hilarious :crackup:
And every time I see it I want it...except minivan haha!!

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
IIRC the Basic chassis of the 1962-1982 corvette is the same.
That is 3 generations of the car on the same framework.
Same with the c-10/20/30 1966-87 3 body generations all slapped on the same chassis with small updates.
Ford crown vic, I am willing to bet the list of models that this covers is a long one.
Sponsored